Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

9 week miscarriage

(19 Posts)
ashley992 Sun 11-Feb-18 20:17:47

Hi,

My partner and I had a private scan booked today. We are 9 weeks. We were told the sac measured 10 weeks but baby only 6 and they couldn't find a heart beat. I was told they'd let the hospital know and they'd be in contact. Is this the start of a missed miscarriage? If that's the case, do I take tablets to get the process going? It's my second miscarriage so I'm a bit nervous to try again - getting pregnant seems to be the easy bit for us. We fell within a couple of months but I just feel so helpless in regards to carrying the baby. Anyone experiencing/experienced this before?

MsJuniper Mon 12-Feb-18 05:49:09

Very sorry to hear this. They will probably give you the options to wait for it to pass naturally, tablets or surgical. They might want to wait a week and re-scan first. I've had the surgical option and it wasn't too bad.

DappledThings Mon 12-Feb-18 07:57:00

I'm sorry ashley. I had this with exactly same dates. They said to come back in a week for a rescan unless the bleeding had increased in which case it was happening naturally. It got hugely worse over the next week. I don't want to be unnecessarily graphic but it was agonising pain. At one point I fainted on the toilet and absolutely couldn't be left alone because of the risk of that. After a week I ended up back in A&E with some of it stuck and needing to be removed.

If it happened to me again I would choose the surgical route.

It's grim and massively unfair. Be kind yo yourself.

Mama05070704 Mon 12-Feb-18 08:08:37

I had a missed miscarriage after my first round of IVF and it’s heartbreaking. In my case, my scan was at 7.5 weeks and showed the baby had stopped developing a week prior. It was recommend that I await a natural miscarriage to avoid the risk of scarring etc. It took my body a further 4 weeks to realise what had happened and let go.

Like Dappled, my experience was pretty painful and a lot more graphic than I expected but it does vary by person.

I’m sorry for your loss. Be kind to yourself flowers

Misssmoo Mon 12-Feb-18 08:28:09

I had a mmc last year and after 5 weeks of nothing happening I had to ha e the surgical option...I wish I went for it straight away it really wasn't as bad as I thought and was over quickly...sorry for your loss x

PrimeraVez Mon 12-Feb-18 10:38:27

I had very similar dates and opted for a D&C because I couldn't face the idea of just waiting for 'it' to happen.

I'm glad I chose this route - obviously going into hospital and having a general anesthetic is never pleasant, but the physical side of everything was very easy. I had very, very mild cramps for a day or so afterwards and some light bleeding for around a week.

Sending you the best of luck with whatever option you choose.

ashley992 Mon 12-Feb-18 10:56:02

Thank you for your replies. After looking up the options on the NHS website I think the surgical option sounds the best one for me. Hopefully I get offered it as I don't want to wait for it to pass naturally - it hasn't passed naturally for 3 weeks so I don't want to wait any longer.

Mama05070704 Mon 12-Feb-18 10:59:18

@ashley992 In hindsight, I wish I’d chose the surgical option so I think you’re making the right choice. Mentally, I found the waiting really difficult to deal with and think it may have helped me deal with it if I hadn’t have had that additional stress and upset. Take care of yourself.

ashley992 Mon 12-Feb-18 11:03:54

@Mama05070704 Have you gone on to have a successful pregnancy if you don't mind me asking? I'm so worried it's not going to happen as this is second miscarriage now.

Mama05070704 Mon 12-Feb-18 11:15:20

@ashley992, I’ve had 4 pregnancies in total; the first 2 were a result of IVF (I was told it would be impossible to conceive naturally). My first pregnancy was a MMC and my second resulted it my eldest. My second 2 pregnancies were within a year on my DC1 being born. The first of those ended in another MC and the second gave us DC2.

I’m completely get why you’re worried. I was exactly the same but try not to stress to much. My doctor told me that even after 2 consecutive losses, your chances of a successful pregnancy are still high.

ashley992 Mon 12-Feb-18 13:48:32

I've been told by the EPU that I have to wait a week before any treatment can begin. Now I just have to hope it passes naturally before then I guess...

Mama05070704 Mon 12-Feb-18 14:51:44

Whatever happens, I hope it’s over quickly for you @ashley992

QuercusQuercus Mon 12-Feb-18 17:05:32

Hi Ashley. I'm so sorry this has happened to you. I had two missed miscarriages before my first successful pregnancy, one at 8 weeks ad one at 12.

I'll be honest with you, the 'natural' route was rough for me. It was not like a heavy period. One of them hospitalised me. If it starts to happen before you can get in for the D and C, and you feel like the pain or bleeding is excessive, go to A&E.

I'm sorry, I don't at all want to scare you. But I wish someone had been more honest with me at the EPU, and that I'd chosen D and C. And I wish I'd gone to A and E earlier than I did. So don't hesitate, if it comes to it. You don't have to just cope at home.

And as a reassurance, I had a very very easy first successful pregnancy after those miscarriages and am just finishing up a second very easy pregnancy. No more MCs. It'll happen for you flowers

ashley992 Mon 12-Feb-18 17:24:32

@QuercusQuercus Thank you, its reassuring to hear about your successes. My mum and her mum had exactly the same thing so I don't know if it's genetic but they took blood samples at my first midwife appointment so maybe they'll know from that. The private scan place told me my local hospital would get me in straight away but it turns out there is national guidelines that say you have to wait a week to see if any progress is made with the growth of the foetus or the miscarriage naturally. I was going to opt for the surgery route however they said on the phone it would have to wait another week from that Monday and couldn't be done there and then which I'm not sure how I feel about. I guess I just have to hope it passes naturally between now and then!

Mangopassionfruit Mon 12-Feb-18 18:05:17

Hi @ashely992 so sorry to hear you are going through this. I’m having similar at the moment - although there was actually never any development at all shown at my 8 week scan on Sunday. Booked into EPU a week today as again they said they have to wait a week and provisionally booked in surgical removal next Wednesday. This is horrible times and like you I’m worrying too about trying again, had early loss in December. Sending lots of hugs xx

ashley992 Mon 12-Feb-18 18:41:11

Hi @Mangopassionfruit sorry to hear it's the same for you. My symptoms of breast tenderness and bloated tummy have all pretty much gone today so maybe that's the sign of something happening. I want the surgical option but really don't want to wait for as long as they are telling me so I'm hoping it's going to pass naturally. I'm a teacher and on half term this week so would be so much easier from that point of view too. I guess we just have to let nature take it's cause. I hope everything works out for you xx

Mangopassionfruit Mon 12-Feb-18 19:54:36

Fellow teacher on half term here so I hear you on that one, although it feels an awful way to spend a week off and don’t know how I will get the energy up to go back. Horrible to be so out of control. I hope that everything works out for you too xx

ashley992 Mon 12-Feb-18 20:05:16

@Mangopassionfruit no it's not quite how I imagined my week!! My head teacher has encouraged me to go to the EPU before Monday as she had the same thing and was left with an infection. I phoned them but they aren't budging on moving from Monday in case the pregnancy is viable but that must give so many women false hope. There hasn't been a heartbeat for three weeks so why there would be one now I do not know!! They also said they have to rescan otherwise they could terminate a live pregnancy but then I thought isn't that the same as abortion and that's ok!? I just want to move on, it's so hard. My last miscarriage was a complete accidental pregnancy back in 2012 so I didn't feel any emotion towards it but completely different with a planned pregnancy. Not nice at all. Let's hope we both get sorted soon and roll on the Easter holidays!!

ashley992 Sun 01-Apr-18 09:44:51

@Mangopassionfruit just a message to see how you're doing? Xx

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: