Talk

Advanced search

Can you request sweep at 40 weeks?? (DC 2)

(16 Posts)
Emcharlierush Sun 11-Feb-18 18:01:45

I’m currently 40+3 with my second child. Baby has been engaged for weeks now, lost my mucus plug over 2 weeks ago, and apart from a few hours of false labour, NOTHING else has happened. I’m seeing midwife tomorrow at 40+4, and I wondered if I can request a sweep?

Reason for this is that I’ve heard that they don’t offer a sweep until 41 weeks if it’s not your first pregnancy. My midwives clinics are only on Mondays so they wouldn’t do one until I’m 41+4, which right now seems like torture.

My DD has special needs and needs lots of help with personal care (catheters, bowels ect) and I am really struggling emotionally and physically to help her at the moment because I’m so huge and exhausted. It’s getting to the point where where I’m getting quite tearful most days.

Do you think she might sweep me tomorrow if I explain this? I know they don’t induce you on request, but surely a sweep wouldn’t hurt?

MyOtherProfile Sun 11-Feb-18 18:03:17

Worth asking. I had a sweep at 40w with #2 but it didn't do anything!

Saz626 Sun 11-Feb-18 18:40:57

Be interested to see the responses to this post. I'm 39+3 and at the midwife on Tuesday, I was hoping to ask for a sweep. I know it's unlikely because I'm not even at the 40 week point yet but it's worth a try I suppose.

Alittlebitofthis Sun 11-Feb-18 18:57:02

I requested a sweep and got one. I'd gone to get checked for something else and asked.
It worked for me. I went into labour that night.

scaredofthecity Sun 11-Feb-18 18:59:12

You can ask. I've been told i can start having sweeps at 38 weeks. I was hoping for a (slightly) early induction but I don't think it's going to happen.
FWIW I had 5 or 6 sweeps with DS and they did nought. Ended up being induced and him born at 42+2

hoopdeloop Sun 11-Feb-18 19:01:52

There’s no harm in asking them, they’ll either agree or refuse. Hope they say yes for you smile

Daffydil Sun 11-Feb-18 19:03:17

I had sweeps twice a week from 37 weeks with No2 - to try and avoid an induction. Induction booked for 40 weeks, moved to 40+4, sweep on my due date, she arrived 12 hrs later.

KatnissK Sun 11-Feb-18 19:12:22

I was offered a sweep at 40w and it was my first pregnancy. She couldn't do it - cervix was too high or something. Was booked in for another a few days later but waters broke at 40+3. My friend was offered a sweep at 39w as she was booked in for induction at 40w due to complications. So definitely ask if you aren't offered.

QueenOfGaviscon Sun 11-Feb-18 19:14:28

My MW has said it's our areas policy is from 39 weeks

mindutopia Sun 11-Feb-18 19:17:19

I would ask if it's what you want. I'm 40 weeks tomorrow and my midwife asked me last week when she saw me if I'd want a sweep at that appt (because she's on holiday and I'm seeing another midwife so she wanted to put it in her note to her if I did). It's my 2nd. I don't want one, but it seemed the option was on the table, so no harm in asking.

Emcharlierush Sun 11-Feb-18 20:03:53

Thanks everybody for your replies! And yes you’re totally right, even if she says yes I might not be ready and if I am, it might not even work!!

But either way, I will let you know what the outcome is smile

Emcharlierush Mon 12-Feb-18 18:07:33

So for anyone who is interested...no. She refused to sweep at 40+4 and I have to wait until exactly 41 weeks. Bit mean considering my circumstances but hey ho!

scaredofthecity Mon 12-Feb-18 18:12:42

Oh well that's a bit shite I'm sorry.... It probably wouldn't have worked and I'm sure you didn't really want her hand up inside you anyways!
Apparently nipple tweaking works better than sweeps anyways

headoutofthesand Mon 12-Feb-18 18:21:07

That's frustrating. In our area, the policy is (well, was when I had DC2 5 years ago) that they would do it from your due date but my MW appt were always +6 so she wouldn't give me one at 39+6. At 40+6 she gave me a sweep but told me she couldn't check me in for induction or anything until my next appt. I pointed out that that wouldn't work as policy was that inductions should be at 41+5 and I would be past that date. I seemed to be the first person to ever point this out so it took a lot off bafflement & tutting before she booked me in for a different MW at 41+4.
First sweep had no effect. Second sweep plus reflexology plus a three mile walk kicked things off nicely!

Emcharlierush Mon 12-Feb-18 19:45:34

Urgh it’s so annoying and seems so petty for the sake of a couple days. Anyway, sweep Thursday, then again Sunday if nothing and if STILL nothing then booked for induction next Wednesday at 41+6. Will be so gutted if it comes to that sad

CL1982 Tue 13-Feb-18 17:53:25

I asked for a sweep next week when I'll be 39 weeks and it was a massive NOOOOOO!!! They said not until 40 weeks. Booooooooo.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: