Talk

Advanced search

Care after ELCS

(13 Posts)
Merryoldgoat Sun 11-Feb-18 11:40:44

I’ve got an ELCS booked in for a variety of medical reasons and my first was an EMCS so a bit different.

I’m hoping my recovery will be a little better this time but could anyone tell me when I’ll be allowed to shower and when my catheter comes out and what painkillers are standard now? I’m getting mixed info online and it’s all changed since DC1 5 years ago.

Kpo58 Sun 11-Feb-18 12:14:10

I could shower and had the catheter out the morning after my c-section (which was at around 6pm).

I only had paracetamol as pain killers after the op, but that was all I needed.

Bluebirdsky Sun 11-Feb-18 12:45:23

I think it's different at each hospital (especially pain killer bit) so might be worth asking your midwife.

elvesareneverhappy Sun 11-Feb-18 12:50:38

I was given paracetamol and ibuprofen with both my c-sections. I had the catheter removed and was showered and changed 10 hours after the second c-section because I was really eager to be discharged...

Merryoldgoat Sun 11-Feb-18 13:16:36

That’s everyone.

5 years ago I was discharged with co-codamol and diclofenac but that seems unusual now. Plus I’ve heard the codeine isn’t recommended for breastfeeding anymore.

Good news about reasonably fast showers - I felt so vile for ages after the last op - hopefully if I’m scheduled early I’ll be able to have one before bed.

Kpo58 Sun 11-Feb-18 13:31:17

I did also have diclofenac whilst in hospital.
They also gave me a course of injectable blood thinners.

Roomba Sun 11-Feb-18 13:40:13

I was offered paracetamol, diclofenac and oramorph when I had DS2. They said codeine isn't recommended any more, hence the oramorph. Only needed the paracetamol and diclofenac in the end.

Strangely, when I was admitted with something else when DS was 8m old, they refused to prescribe me diclofenac as they told me it wasn't recommended if breastfeeding. I was sure the Dr was wrong given my post birth experience but she was too busy to look it up and gave me something else instead to be on the safe side.

mummyG2C Sun 11-Feb-18 17:30:54

I had an EMCS with first spring 2016 she was born at 3.30pm I was given paracetamol,ibruprofen and oromorph the first night. First thing so about 16/17hrs after catheter taken out and got straight up for a shower and change. I stopped taking oromorph that lunch time as was making me and baby bit drowsy and struggling with getting a good latch to feed. Then just took the paracetamol and ibruprofen (and iron due to anaemia/blood loss). Went home the next day with a large box of all the drugs but actually stopped taking a lot of them after a few days and just took them when I needed. Just remember as well I had those sexy stockings on and had to self inject the blood thinners at home for a week as well though no one has mentioned that so not sure if that was just my area! Hope it helps.

Merryoldgoat Sun 11-Feb-18 18:00:02

Thanks again everyone!

I’ve been injecting blood thinners since 17 weeks owing to BMI and will have them for 2 weeks post op - totally fine with the injections.

Good to know there are lots of pain relief options.

ShowOfHands Sun 11-Feb-18 18:03:08

I had ds at 3pm by emcs. Catheter out at 6pm and straight in the shower! Same time frame with DD 10 years ago (was home after 12 hours).

I didn't need painkillers but was offered diclofenac and paracetamol.

Merryoldgoat Sun 11-Feb-18 21:29:00

That sounds amazing Showoff! Fingers crossed I’ll have a similar experience.

Waitingonasmile Sun 11-Feb-18 21:39:19

I had a lovely elcs. Up and in the shower after 6 hours. Catheter had to remain in until next morning. Had morphine tablets the day of section (two) and the day after (1). I was discharged after 48 hours with paracetamol and diclofenac.

RachelRosie Sun 11-Feb-18 21:49:27

I had low cat EMCS at 9:30 after a failed induction. Catheter was out by 1pm at the latest I think (I remember hopping out of bed for a sandwich at 1pm when the food trolley went past and then thought I'd better check i was allowed it just as I was about to take a bite, so catheter must have been out by then as I was mobile)
I had a shower just before the op, but waited until I got home the next afternoon to have one as the ward was super busy and I'd had a bad night with newborn DD.
Was offered oramoph (not sure on spelling) and pcet & Ibuprofen and had codeine to take home.
Hope all goes well smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: