Talk

Advanced search

Reduced movement- what would they do?

(25 Posts)
zaalitje Sun 11-Feb-18 08:48:43

A couple of times I've experienced reduced movement, once I got it checked out (at 22+4) and all was fine.

Currently heading towards 25 weeks and I'm getting myself in a state as not felt bub since last night and then it felt lighter than normal, although total movement for the day were only slightly below normal.

No midwife on call till Monday and hospital won't see you till 28 weeks without midwife referral, besides as I saw the midwife almost 2 weeks ago I can't see them again till my 25 weeks appt later this week. So this is all a bit of a theoretical question anyway but what would they do at this gestation if you were monitored and baby was found to be in distress? Or as they aren't interested till 28 weeks (despite potential viability at 24 weeks) would they just leave nature to take its course?

Lj8893 Sun 11-Feb-18 08:51:06

They can't monitor you until 28 weeks, the monitors don't work properly at an earlier gestation.

I think it's worth phoning them anyway.

Chocolatecake12 Sun 11-Feb-18 08:51:58

You can take yourself off to the labour ward for reduced movements. They will be able to monitor the baby there.
You do not have to wait until your next midwife appointment.

TeddyIsaHe Sun 11-Feb-18 08:54:40

They won’t monitor till 28 weeks, it’s not until then they worry about reduced movements as you generally won’t see a pattern till then. Baby is still too small, and can get into a position where movements feel lessened, but it’s just that he/she is just tucked up somewhere. They only recommend counting earlier if you have a high risk pregnancy.

zaalitje Sun 11-Feb-18 08:56:17

Labour Ward aren't interested till 28 weeks.

But my question is what they'd do if a problem was picked up at this gestation?

pastabest Sun 11-Feb-18 08:56:37

The 28 weeks thing isn't about viability it's because they don't expect there to be a regular pattern of movements until around then.

Was it just a Doppler check at 22 weeks for reassurance?

I'm currently 24 weeks and have fairly frequent movements but I wouldn't be overly concerned if I didn't feel anything for a while because there doesn't seem to be ny kind of pattern anyway yet.

With my first it was around 28 weeks before I started to notice any kind of semi predictable pattern to the movements.

You are still feeling some movement so the baby has probably just moved position and is hiding behind the placenta or something. Ring your midwife tomorrow and ask for an appointment for reassurance.

Have you discussed anxiety with your midwife, it's a really long time to go until 40 weeks if you are getting yourself in a stage at this point about reduced movement. flowers

OrigamiOverload Sun 11-Feb-18 08:58:24

You need to get this checked out.

Try calling the midwife - I'm sure there will be an answering message telling you what but to do out with usual hours.

I'm not sure I fully understand the hospital situation - is there not a maternity unit you can go to? Just turn up, Im sure they can't just turn you away.

In the meantime, as in en route to the hospital, try sweet cold fizzy drinks, and failing that, hot chocolate or similar. This is what my midwife told me to do when I couldn't feel DD.

Everything is probably Ok, but I wouldn't be taking any risks. Get checked.

Lj8893 Sun 11-Feb-18 09:00:20

Have you contacted labour Ward then for them to say they arnt interested?

I'm not expecting them to call you in but they will be able to offer you reassurance, answer your questions and maybe signpost you somewhere else.

TeddyIsaHe Sun 11-Feb-18 09:01:01

It would depend entirely on the doctors and midwives I think. If there was an issue they would balance how likely the baby would be to survive against brain damage etc. Its not always cut and dry.

pastabest Sun 11-Feb-18 09:01:23

Sorry cross posted

If there was any other indication of a problem such as contractions, or waters breaking etc then at this stage they would do what they could and you would be treated as a woman going into pre term labour.

But to be frank at this stage it's unlikely anyone is going to be particularly concerned about slightly reduced movement. What you are experiencing is very normal for this stage of pregnancy and most likely nothing to be concerned about. That's not to say you shouldn't ring for reassurance, but reading between the lines if you've already been seen a few times prior to 25 weeks worried about reduced movement their bigger concern will probably be addressing your anxiety rather than there may be something wrong with the baby.

QueenAravisOfArchenland Sun 11-Feb-18 09:04:20

If an issue was detected, they'd weigh up the risks of delivery at a severely premature gestation Vs the risks of not intervening and make a decision. Delivery is basically all that can be done for a baby that's in trouble in the womb anyway.

But movements aren't expected to be regular until 28w anyway - the reason they don't want to monitor earlier is because variability is expected.

pastabest Sun 11-Feb-18 09:05:49

That's not to say that they won't check you out, of course they will and they generally prefer to be safe rather than sorry. You won't be wasting anyone's time but it sounds like you are already worrying about and checking movements over and above what is necessary at this stage and that's no way to have a happy pregnancy. Must be really stressful for you flowers

Signoritawhocansway Sun 11-Feb-18 09:21:29

Lots of misinformation here. OP, if your pattern of movements is definitely different, you should seek advice at the hospital.

My DS was delivered at 27 weeks, and the ONLY sign I had that something was wrong was reduced movement. I went in, got checked out (including ctg, for those saying they won't do that!) and he was delivered by emergency section that evening.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with your baby, but if you feel your pattern is different, you need to seek qualified medical advice, not ransoms on the internet.

FWIW, in my second pregnancy I had an episode of reduced movement at 26 weeks and they were reluctant to ctg, but I complained and then they did one (given my past medical history). Second baby born at 37 weeks, with IUGR.

gryffen Sun 11-Feb-18 10:48:22

Hi lass,

When I was pregnant in 2014 with dd1 I had 3x episodes of reduced movements and in our area (glasgow) you are automatically consultant led.

Some trusts won't check regular movement til 28 weeks but check with your midwife as you may be seen by doctor from now on.

zaalitje Sun 11-Feb-18 13:16:09

I'm already consultant led due to RMC, septate uterus and the fact this is an ED pregnancy.

All of which lead to increased anxiety and the expectation that I won't get a happy ending.

Does anyone know if I lose him whether I'll be able to wait for things to hapoen naturally and deliver at home rather than being induced in a ward full of women having healthy babies?

QueenAravisOfArchenland Sun 11-Feb-18 13:36:32

Unfortunately if you were to suffer a late miscarriage or stillbirth they would want to induce you Asap and monitor you in hospital, because it's a lot more complex and riskier than an earlier miscarriage. I think the treatment you would be given would be as sensitive and caring as possible though. And the chances of that happening are still very low. It's totally understandable that you are worried and find it hard to believe you'll take a baby home, but I hope you can try and trust in your body and your medical team and not live too much in dread.

user1499786242 Sun 11-Feb-18 13:44:10

Op, take a deep breath
Very mixed information in this thread and the reality is.. a lot of things depend on area and procedures are often changing
So the best thing to do is ring the hospital, there will be a number on your yellow book
Ring them
They may not be concerned or want you to go in
Or they might be happy to see you

When I had reduced movements at 22ish weeks I was told NOT to eat something sugary because if you need to do that to make the baby move then there could still be something wrong! Eventho many midwives give that advice!
She also did say to lie on my left side for one hour and I should feel 5 separate movements, kicks, hiccups anything but 5 times
But obviously this could be different from the advice you may be given!

Please try not to worry, easier said than done as I actually had a panic attack when it happened so am seeking help for the anxiety
Talk to your midwife and/or gp and they can support you through the pregnancy and hopefully get your anxiety under control!
thanks

zaalitje Sun 11-Feb-18 13:55:01

Chances of a bad outcome bring very low level of comfort as I have been on the wrong side of a "less than 1% chance" three, unrelated times in relation to pregnancy and fertility,
The probability of those 3 things happening is around 1:1,000,000 so a low chance is zero comfort.

Twitchett22 Sun 11-Feb-18 13:58:25

I appreciate how worried you are OP but if you've spoken to the midwife/Labour ward and they've advised you one way or another there's not a lot you can do. You sound like you've already set yourself up for the worst case scenario which is understandable, but until you know for definite please don't try to think of things like where you will deliver if its a stillbirth etc. Try to be positive flowers

LuchiMangsho Sun 11-Feb-18 14:02:44

They will put you on a CTG machine.
If you are in pre term labour you will get medicines to stop the labour and also steroids for the baby and possibly mag sulphate for the baby’s brain.
It is true that movements are often hard to pick up before 28 weeks. I was in labour at 26 weeks and the CTG had to be held very tightly against me to pick up my otherwise obvious contractions.
Incidentally my baby born at 26 weeks is now one and doing very very very well.

zaalitje Sun 11-Feb-18 14:05:17

I need to know how they handle these things as a way of dealing with my anxiety.
Knowledge gives me a level of control rather than being left to wonder. It means I can plan what I would do and how often would want to.proceed rather than being railroaded into a course of action I'm not comfortable with because I don't know what options are available.

jpclarke Sun 11-Feb-18 14:12:21

Try a cold fizzy drink and see if it wakes the baby up to feel a bit of movement.

PinkAvocado Sun 11-Feb-18 15:38:42

How early reduced movements are dealt with varies between trusts so I think it would be best for you to contact yours directly. At my local hospital, they will not use the monitoring machine before 28 weeks because it is not accurate enough to pick up accelerations.

I really do think it would be best for you to call and speak to them directly.

lookingforthecorkscrew Sun 11-Feb-18 15:45:29

Try lying on your left side for an hour

Bluebirdsky Sun 11-Feb-18 16:14:11

I think you need to call the hospital and have a talk with them, tell them about your history and what you are experiencing now and see what they say. They can't monitor you but they could listen into the heartbeat which might provide some reassurance.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: