Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Just ate pinkish lamb shank..

(12 Posts)
NooNooHead Sat 10-Feb-18 19:47:50

It was v delicious and cooked by my DM and had apparently been cooked for ages but still looked a bit pink in places. I’m sure it was ok but I don’t know whether I should have eaten some of the pink bits.

How worried should I be about things like toxoplasmosis?

ChardonnaysPrettySister Sat 10-Feb-18 19:49:28

No, that's pork.

nomorespaghetti Sat 10-Feb-18 19:50:57

I'm sure it'll be fine, these things happen. I ate a rare steak when i was pregnant with dd and she's ok! I did worry a lot about it, but what can you do once you've eaten it?! I all likelihood you've already had toxo and are immune. And even if you're not, it's unlikely the meat had it. It'll be fine.

NooNooHead Sat 10-Feb-18 19:51:16

I’m sure that lamb was on the list of meat you had to be careful of eating undercooked or rare?

zzzzz Sat 10-Feb-18 19:51:24

I eat rare lamb all the time.confused

NooNooHead Sat 10-Feb-18 19:52:31

I guess like you say there is no point in worrying about it now as I’ve eaten it!

pastabest Sat 10-Feb-18 19:52:35

Lamb shank would have been inedible if it hadn't been slow cooked for a while imo.

That cut can go kind of pink when it's very well cooked.

no need to worry.

BadlyParkedRangeRover Sat 10-Feb-18 19:54:08

If its been cooked for ages and was hot when you ate it, it'll be fine. Lamb/pork/ venison are the 'at risk' foods, but only if cooked to over 75 degrees

BadlyParkedRangeRover Sat 10-Feb-18 19:54:41

If not cooked to over 75 degrees

Alwaysaworry Sat 10-Feb-18 19:58:23

Don't worry! Lamb shanks do take on a pink sort of look when well cooked but it's not the rare pink type

Rare lamb shanks would be very tough, it's usually slow cooked for a really long time and sounds cooked to me!

NooNooHead Sat 10-Feb-18 19:58:37

Thank you ladies. It was hot and had been cooked for ages so i’m sure it will be ok. I’m not going to worry about it any more as it isn’t likely to be anything I can do now!

Buxbaum Sat 10-Feb-18 20:33:23

The meat nearest the bone can appear pinker even if fully cooked. If it was slow cooked for a long time then it’s very likely that it reached a safe internal temperature throughout.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: