Talk

Advanced search

Constipation- help!

(25 Posts)
OneForTheRoadThen Sat 10-Feb-18 18:46:44

29 weeks and so constipated. Haven't be able to go for over a week and have been trying so hard I'm worried I'm going to give birth grin

Does anyone have any remedies that work?

FranksBobot Sat 10-Feb-18 19:24:18

Squatting was the only thing that ever worked for me. Not easy when pregnant but gets things moving

gryffen Sat 10-Feb-18 19:32:37

Get to chemist or doctors and get some laxido - it's a stool softner and not a laxative just a few times a week will really help you out.

You can also follow instructions and use it for inaction (which u could have if badly constipated all week) and it will liquify the stool.

Do not push or force it out as you can do some painful damage in rectum and also cause bleeding vaginally due to the pushing.

It's safe in pregnancy.

mindutopia Sat 10-Feb-18 19:33:26

I was really constipated last time but this time I’ve been having porridge with chia on top (plus fruit, raisins, etc) everyday for breakfast. It made such a difference. I think it’s the eating it every day thing that keeps everything moving. Plus I have a coffee every morning.

PinkAvocado Sat 10-Feb-18 19:34:37

You can take certain softeners. My midwife did say the name of one in particular but unhelpfully I’ve forgotten!

wowbutter Sat 10-Feb-18 19:37:26

I used glycerin suppositories, it really helped. I couldn't care else if they're not meant to be used, I didn't read the packet so I am unsure what e official guidance is.
They're great, and you can get relief in an hour. If it's been that long you might have to use one, wait ten minutes, go and then try again.

BrutusMcDogface Sat 10-Feb-18 19:40:41

Pink- I think you might mean lactulose. Worked for me!

Watto1 Sat 10-Feb-18 19:43:40

Warm bath, then feet raised off the floor when you go.

I'm not sure if it's just me, but eating something really garlicky always makes me poo for Britain!

BexleyRae Sat 10-Feb-18 19:46:19

Dried apricots always get me moving
Whatever you find that works for you, keep a stock in for the first post pregnancy poo. That was more terrifying than childbirth for me!

OneForTheRoadThen Sat 10-Feb-18 19:47:02

Thanks for the suggestions! Trip to the chemist tomorrow

Countingsheeeep Sat 10-Feb-18 19:51:56

The only thing that has worked for me is movicol. It's a sachet of powder that you dissolve into water to keep thing soft.

I am 33 weeks pregnant with #2 and have had chronic constipation with both pregnancies so speak from experience.

Lactulose did absolutely nothing for me, my constipation was far to severe. It's worth getting under control asap as I have also suffered from awful thrombosed piles as a result...and that really isn't fun!

OneForTheRoadThen Sat 10-Feb-18 19:54:00

@Countingsheeeep same here. I'd forgotten how awful it was! I have tried movical before with no luck but at this point I'll try anything. I'm going to give every suggestion a go tomorrow

DarkestBeforeDawn Sat 10-Feb-18 19:55:20

I swore by a warm glass of prune juice every evening. I was really constipated and had tried lactulose but it did nothing. The prune juice tastes pretty awful but really kept me regular.

Countingsheeeep Sat 10-Feb-18 19:58:06

I think the best course of action with movicol is to take the fecal impactment route first to clear things out (I think that's 8 sachets in a little of water to be taken within an hour). Then once that's taken effect which it really should! Then I take 1 sachet every other day, as well as having weetabix or some other similar cereal everyday.

Constipation in pregnancy is the worst! And mine continued after my first baby for a few months aswell 😭

ivykaty44 Sat 10-Feb-18 19:58:53

Unsulphered apricots are the thing to eat- H&B will stock them, eat them as they are or make a compo with a little orange juice or water

Cleebeeface Sat 10-Feb-18 20:00:51

I found drinking lots and lots of water, having soups, porridge and raisins helped!

Whatamuddleduck Sat 10-Feb-18 21:42:38

Yup daily porridge works for me. Not the instant sachets, proper oats. Plus avoiding bread. Lactulose if I haven't been for a day as that seems to sort it. 28 wks.

PinkAvocado Sat 10-Feb-18 23:08:53

Brutus-you’re right it was that one!

Babybear1117 Sun 11-Feb-18 07:29:04

I've been suffering with this so much it's was so painful I tore and ending up at out of hours on a weekend!
The only and best advice I can give you is have maximum dose of lactulose every day (I take about 15-20ml 3 times a day, breakfast lunch and tea. Try prunes or prune juice - I was desperate but it made me boke! Doctors did prescribe me with laxide but it did nothing so I always stick with lactulose now just keep having it don't miss it! Most of all make sure you have PLENTY of fluids! These products work by bringing fluid to your bowels so keep drinking water or juice constantly and male sure you're not dehydrated. When you do try to go feet on anything within reach! Little stool or I use a LUSH bath bomb box from Xmas it's just the right hight 😂 also lean forward slightly this helps too! Finally if nothing works what weirdly worked for me is I ate just over half a bag of sugar free gummy bears - like haribo but sugar free! They have a laxative effect without being harmful it just sped up the process.
Good luck! I did say to my doctor I would rather give birth than go through such a traumatic experience in the bathroom again!! Xx

Hope18 Sun 11-Feb-18 14:58:02

Pressed Apple juice not from concentrate.. seems to help sometimes.
I take fibre gel too!

Almostthere15 Sun 11-Feb-18 21:48:44

I think if you've not been for a week then you need to speak to a medical professional.

I've suffered in this pregnancy and once I had it resolved (through movicol under doctors advice) I've kept it broadly under control with orange juice (with bits) and shredded wheat daily. I make sure I drink lots and have nuts and dried fruit also daily.

It's horrid, and I hope you have it resolved soon

BrigitsBigKnickers Sun 11-Feb-18 21:51:36

I had similar in pregnancy. Doctor gave me fibogel on prescription- magic stuff ( can also buy from pharmacy not the shop shelves) ask for the regular stuff ( not high fibre- that's astronomical) it's about £10 for 60 sachets.

TheClitterati Sun 11-Feb-18 21:53:04

Take kefir every day. Will totally sort you out.

Rudgie47 Sun 11-Feb-18 21:58:13

Tinned prunes and drink the juice as well. Guarenteed to make anyone shit themselves.

BakedBeeeen Sun 11-Feb-18 21:58:43

OP are you taking a pregnancy multivitamin? With lots of iron in it? If you are taking a lot of iron that you don't actually need, it could be making the situation much worse. I stopped taking the multivitamin and instead just took the NHS recommendation vitamins (just folic acid and vitamin D) and the constipation went!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now