Talk

Advanced search

Pain Relief/Management during Pregnancy

(12 Posts)
HP07 Sat 10-Feb-18 17:55:10

Hi all,
I’m 20 weeks pregnant with my second baby and I am suffering from an horrific ear infection which is extremely painful. I am now on my second course of antibiotics because the first lot didn’t work and the pain is very hard to manage. I have been taking paracetamol and yesterday when I saw he gp I asked if there was anything else I could have. He said co-codamol if the pain was really bad (which it is) but not to take too many and not for longer than 2 day

HP07 Sat 10-Feb-18 17:57:24

Ahhhh got post too soon. Sorry, not for longer than 3 days. I am reserving the co codamol for night time when the pain is really bad just so I can get some sleep. My question is apart from a warm compress is there anything else I can do to get some relief. I’m open to any safe suggestions. I’m aware ibruprofen is not safe in pregnancy so I have not taken any. Thank you

brownelephant Sat 10-Feb-18 17:59:09

in the second trimester ibuprofen could be an option. you need to discuss this with midwife/gp.
but drs are very reluctant (in the uk) to advise this.

HP07 Sat 10-Feb-18 18:01:06

The go I saw yesterday said I could not have ibruprofen and I knew previously to this it was not advised in pregnancy. What makes you say it could be an option/safe?

Hotpinkangel19 Sat 10-Feb-18 18:03:02

I have had 4 babies and always told no ibuprofen - only paracetamol. Co codamol in emergencies.

melissasummerfield Sat 10-Feb-18 18:20:58

I have had serious pain issues during pregnancy and have been told no ibuprofen. I took cocodamol - the two day thing is because they can become addictive. Have you tried a hot water bottle against your ear?

brownelephant Sat 10-Feb-18 18:40:32

I was prescribed ibuprofen when I had flu, different (european) country I have to add.
they said that in second trimester if there are no other issues, like bleeding, it's reasonably safe to use for a short duration.

HP07 Sat 10-Feb-18 18:43:55

Yes I have tried the hot water bottle. It gives some relief but not a great deal. The other problem I’m having is that in order to stick to the ‘no more than 4 doses in 24hrs’ I’m having to go 6 hrs between drugs and those 2 hrs when the effectiveness has worn off is really bad. If I was allowed ibruprofen then I could alternate and be covered continuously. I hope the antibiotics kick in soon.

Pereie Sat 10-Feb-18 19:56:43

I was at the doctors last week for a head infection and the doctor told me to take ibuprofen. I declined as I've read everywhere that it should be avoided. Maybe it's one of these things that the risk is tiny so the tell you not to buy in extreme cases it's probably totally fine. I probably would cave and take some if I where you.

HP07 Sat 10-Feb-18 20:22:28

I’d never forgive myself if something happened/was wrong with the baby. Even if it was unrelated to taking the ibruprofen I’d blame myself. I’m not one for taking risks whilst pregnant. I know some people will have a rare steak/drink alcohol etc etc but I just know it would cause me more panic and worry than it was worth. Not a slight against anyone else’s choices though.

Pereie Sat 10-Feb-18 20:47:54

Ibuprofen isn't advised in the first or third trimester, second you are okay. Doctor would not have told me to take it if it was risky.

Other than taking more pain relief I doubt there is anything that's going to take the pain away.

Best of luck with it.

twistedpink Sat 10-Feb-18 21:02:20

Hospital prescribed me 15 mg of codeine to take with paracetamol when I had tonsillitis, also 20 week preg at the time. I hope you feel better soon sad xxxxxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now