Talk

Advanced search

Beauty treatments in pregnancy -safe?

(13 Posts)
chewbacca83 Sat 10-Feb-18 12:17:35

I'm 6 weeks pregnant. Wondering if it's safe to continue with things like self tanning, eye lash perms (LVL), upper lip creams etc.
Any advice apprecriated.

Lifeofpies Sat 10-Feb-18 13:21:40

Generally yes - I’ve just had an eye lash lift and tint, for example, and booked a spray tan for pre holiday. Can’t have some facials, or use certain oils in massage, but your therapist should know what (and if in doubt, don’t!). When you get into the 2nd trimester best not to lie flat on your back, so have facials etc slightly sitting. And your skin can be more sensitive, so patch test everything, even treatments you’ve been fine with in the past.

Ninjamilo Sat 10-Feb-18 14:05:55

I had LVL as normal while pregnant, although it was a waste of money as it didn't take at all! I'll wait now until baby is here 😊

chewbacca83 Sat 10-Feb-18 14:29:31

I message my LVL lady and she wont do it whilst im pregnant. Thanks for all the tips

Lifeofpies Sat 10-Feb-18 15:02:13

I wonder why she won’t do it? I’ve just had mine done (16w pregnant) and it’s been fine, did a patch test first. They have taken well.

ftmtb Sat 10-Feb-18 15:09:35

You aren't meant to have spray tans as the effects of what you inhale have not been said are safe

Potteryprincess30 Sat 10-Feb-18 16:18:22

Do not use upper lip hair removal creams! your hormones can make facial pigmentation worse and hair removal cream can have disastrous effects (think brown skin mustache left over after you take the cream off).

To be honest I'd ditch the hair removal cream for your face for good as the chemicals can cause pigmentation and burns anyway. Get the area threaded while your pregnant, it last just as long.

You can continue to thread post birth or do laser instead, but those creams are so bad.

cherryontopp Sat 10-Feb-18 16:37:43

Ive wondered this. I need my nails doing, express or acrylic and ive been advised against it. Apparently if i have EM CS then they'll rip them off shock

Buxbaum Sat 10-Feb-18 16:44:59

Although there’s no risk to baby you might be more likely to react to certain ingredients in pregnancy, so do a patch test even if you’ve used a product many times before. Your therapist probably isn’t insured to treat pregnant women.

chewbacca83 Sat 10-Feb-18 21:02:03

Thanks for the top about upper lip! Better do threading from now on! She just said she wouldn't touch me while I was pregnant! Might see if I can find someone insured then. What about tanning moisturiser, like Dove?

Celticlassie Sat 10-Feb-18 21:07:30

I think I used tanning moisturiser, plus I also had shellac when I was pregnant.

lookingforaline18 Sat 10-Feb-18 21:35:04

Does anyone know if LED light therapy and microdermabrasion are both safe while pregnant?

Potteryprincess30 Sat 10-Feb-18 21:55:03

Microdermabrasion is fine at the clinic I go to, and they are trained nurses. I imagine L.E.D is fine also. No laser though, which I'm desperate to have again

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now