Advanced search

Housing pregnancy advice

(64 Posts)
jxoxo Fri 09-Feb-18 21:52:01


I am 8 months pregnant & have a 6 year old son. I am now a single parent as at the start of my pregnancy I found out my childrens father was cheating with another woman who he has now left us to be with and shown no interest in us since.

The property I'm in at the moment is a very small 1st floor council flat they will not move me as it is 2 bedrooms and I am not classed as high priority. I have been on house swap for last 8 months and had no interest as it is very small with no garden. I need to move as there is no way it is suitable for two children the cot will not fit in my bedroom or my son's room as it is a box room.

I am thinking to go Private for more space for the 3 of us but was just wondering what would happen if the landlord decides after year tenancy or a few years that they want the house back and I can't find another suitable property in my price range can I then go back to the council?

Would I be classed as homeless with my 2 children?
Could I get emergency housing or be housed back in a council property?

I've heard from a few people that once you leave the council it is very hard to get housed with them again (but not from anyone who has done it themselves)

Please help!

wheresmyphone Fri 09-Feb-18 21:57:25

If you are in a place I would be cautious about moving if space is the only issue personally. Mate with kids is in emergency B&B housing and has been for 11 months: though thats London.

marriednotdead Fri 09-Feb-18 22:19:56

I'd hang on to your tenancy if I were you, it's security that you cannot guarantee in private rented and who's to say you'd be able to get another council place in future.

In your shoes, my short to mid term solution would have to be getting yourself a single bed so that the cot can fit in your room. Once the baby is big enough to need a bed then you could take the box room and put baby/toddler in with your older son. It's far from ideal but this kind of solution is something the council might expect you to do.

Aquathest Fri 09-Feb-18 22:30:51

I agree completely with PPs, I would not recommend you giving up your tenancy with the council.
The security (with the tenancy) and standard of repairs in private renting sector are currently no where near what you will be used to with a social landlord (although there are, of course, good private landlords out there).

In your tenancy agreement, does it state the maximum number of people allowed to live in the property?

greendale17 Fri 09-Feb-18 22:34:44

*I'd hang on to your tenancy if I were you, it's security that you cannot guarantee in private rented and who's to say you'd be able to get another council place in future.*


Saz626 Fri 09-Feb-18 22:38:37

Are you not classed as a priority because you've children under 7 in a flat above ground floor? I know that with my council when I wanted to moved out of my 1st floor flat I was given extra points (my council goes off a point based system, I know some work differently) due to having a child under 7? Perhaps that depends on the council and there policies but it's worth looking into? I personally would stick with a council property for as long as you can like pp have said private rented really isn't 'secure' as such and you can really end up with some terrible landlords.

user1493413286 Fri 09-Feb-18 22:44:43

If you’re in privately rented accommodation and have to leave through no fault of your own then the council will house you but you could be in emergency accommodation (ie. b&b or studio flat) for months depending on your area.
At the same time though you could be stuck in your current place for a long time as they’d probably say 2 bedrooms is enough.

jxoxo Fri 09-Feb-18 22:45:09

I've got a single bed in my room and wardrobes. It is very small my kitchen has 4 cupboards to give you an idea I have to put my washer and dryer outside in the out house which again is not great now I am heavily pregnant and it is cold outside.

It is not suitable living there is no where to put any of her things so moving has to happen.

Which is why I would like to know will I get housing again from the council after I leave??

jxoxo Fri 09-Feb-18 22:46:08

I'm not sadly

Princesspinkgirl Fri 09-Feb-18 22:46:09

Look for a exchange? Dont give ur place up im in private its a living hell

Princesspinkgirl Fri 09-Feb-18 22:47:16

No they wont house you again if you give up hosuning

Princesspinkgirl Fri 09-Feb-18 22:47:33

Housing rather

Viviennemary Fri 09-Feb-18 22:50:06

I don't think I'd move either. A private tenancy is usually nowhere near as reliable as a council one. You could be asked to the leave if the landlord wants to sell. It could have issues like damp.

gamerchick Fri 09-Feb-18 22:51:50

Where do you live in the country?

You need to look at the tenancy rather than the house. If you’re in the south you would be mad to give up a council tenancy for private.

You have a living room? Maybe a decent sofa bed in there and give the kids the bedrooms?

jxoxo Fri 09-Feb-18 22:57:28

I've looked for exchange for years and had interest but soon as they view here its a no - for last 8 months I've posted on websites put ads in shops and not got a thing. I can't live like this with my 2 children it's not fair my son barely has space as it is. It is very stressful.

I would be willing to go into emergency housing if the tenancy had to end at no fault of my own for example if they wanted the house back.

Surely the council wouldn't leave me and my two children on the street?? Seems like only option for me to move at the moment

jxoxo Fri 09-Feb-18 22:57:55

I live in Manchester

PlaymobilPirate Fri 09-Feb-18 23:02:03

No way would I give up a tenancy. Kids adapt, you'll just need to be clever about how you use the space. Having another child in a small place is what you've chosen to do and it would be irresponsible to take the risk of ending up in some shit hole b&b when you could just keep waiting whilst in a safe property

gamerchick Fri 09-Feb-18 23:06:12

OP you’re deluding yourself if you think the council will give a shit. If you willingly give up a secure tenancy then you can’t expect them to take you back with open arms. Do you really want to take the risk of going through the eviction process and land on the councils doorstep with a bailiff letter with 2 kids and not knowing where you will sleep that night?

BertieBotts Fri 09-Feb-18 23:06:46

You won't be classed as overcrowded because children under the age of 10 are deemed to be allowed to share even if they are opposite sex. If you have a girl with this pregnancy once your son turns 10 you would be classed as overcrowded and might be higher priority to move, but obviously that is some time away.

I know that this is not ideal but you definitely do not want to give up the tenancy as then you will be in a worse mess. I wonder if you could look at space saving solutions - people manage to live on boats? Perhaps a cabin bed for yourself (once you are recovered from birth - moses basket until then) or your son with cot underneath? That would give your son more floor space as well. Drawers can take up much less space than wardrobes and it is only a minority of clothes which really need to be hung. Look at konmari folding principles. Consider getting a decent sofabed and sleeping in the living room - make one bedroom into clothes storage/kids sleeping area and the other into a toy storage area? Swap around a living room and bedroom, unless you need space for a dining table in the living room.

Do you have any idea of the square metreage of each room? Dimensions? That could help give an idea. It would also tell you if you'll be overcrowded once the baby is born, because rooms under a certain dimension are only allowed to have a certain number of people sleeping in them (children under 10 count as half a person, baby doesn't count until it's born).

jxoxo Fri 09-Feb-18 23:10:00

@PlaymobilPirate Its not what I've chosen to do at all I've had to wait it out to 1. Save up money and 2. See if council can help me and if i get any exchange/swap offers which i havent. I don't want my two children to live here i want them to have space to play especially now my son is bigge, a table for them to eat at etc which is why I am now looking to go private as I don't have any other housing options.

I was asking for people's advice who know what happen if that doesn't go to plan not if I should give up the council tenancy or how to make space

BertieBotts Fri 09-Feb-18 23:10:53

I bet if you post on property/DIY with some diagrams/floorplans BTW people would be able to come up with some genius space saving solutions which would be far cheaper than moving and much less hassle than the stress of getting into private rented smile You really do not want to end up stuck in emergency housing (which tends to be a single room for all of you) so I bet this flat isn't as bad as you're thinking, it's probably nesting wanting to make it perfect. It's not perfect, but at least it's yours.

jxoxo Fri 09-Feb-18 23:13:26

I wouldn't willingly give up a private tenancy this is figure of speech if the landlord wanted the house back after the tenancy ends then I am curious as to my options from that point with two young children and on my own.

PlaymobilPirate Fri 09-Feb-18 23:13:37

We all make choices - you've chosen to have another baby in (to you) unacceptable housing. You need to deal with that. Every person on this thread has said don't give up your tenancy. Looks like you're set against that. Again - your choice.

You're not a victim and you don't need options, you just want them...

gamerchick Fri 09-Feb-18 23:14:11

If it doesn’t go to plan and your landlord wants you out with 2 months notice. If you can’t afford to get together the deposit and the required month(s) rent for another private rent the council will advise you to wait for the bailiffs coming... who will come when you least expect it, to give you a letter to take to the council offices. There, you may get put in a b&b which is one room for all of you with communal facilities for god knows how long until you can be housed.

BertieBotts Fri 09-Feb-18 23:16:52

OK xposted. Sorry. What will happen if it doesn't go to plan is that you'll end up in temporary accommodation which will probably be a B&B. Temporary quite often means years when you are talking about a large city with many people in need of housing. You will need to live in one room and might not have access to a private bathroom, you almost definitely won't have access to a private kitchen and most don't come with a fridge, nor allow you to plug in any white goods (e.g. mini fridge). It is an extremely stressful situation but sadly reality for many families unless you have the funds and backup savings to keep moving between private rentals.

If you are very unlucky and the council deems themselves to have no responsibility even for emergency housing then you could find yourselves on the street ie forced to stay with friends or relatives. If you do not have friends or relatives to stay with then you could lose the children to foster care.

Councils do not have endless housing and unfortunately yes some families do end up left on the street. The homelessness crisis is one of the worst disasters in Britain today.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: