Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

elective cesarean

(19 Posts)
KittyKattyKoo Fri 09-Feb-18 19:22:46

Anyone out there who chose to have a cesarean?

What was your experience?

Looking for the voice of experience more so than the voice of opinion wink

DaisyLand Fri 09-Feb-18 20:03:42

Following as considering it for personal reasons

Nottalotta Fri 09-Feb-18 20:09:19

I had elcs with my first as he was breech. I was completyoung against having an ecv/baby turned as that is howhy my brother ended up brain damaged .

Elcs was booked for 38+6. Arrived at hospital 9 am ish. Prepped at 11. Into theatre 12, out at 12.40.

I had a bad reaction to the spinal but that was a) expected and b) due to a medical condition. Spinal worked very well. I couldn't get up til the next morning. Many people are able to stand before this.

Of course the next day was painful. But not horrific. I stayed in 2 nights. Recovered well. No issues. I decided against c section with my 2nd as my 1st was only 18 months. It's fine if it's your first baby and you can rest. Not so easy if you have other small children.

Someaddedsugar Fri 09-Feb-18 20:12:47

I chose to have a c-section when I found out DS would need to arrive at 36 weeks due to Ostetric Cholestasis. My consultant recommended I opted to be induced but I pushed for a c-section as it was my preference and made me feel more at ease with everything that was going on.

I had a great experience and was lucky to recover very quickly.

I would say opting for a section isn’t a decision to be taken lightly though as the recovery can take a while and it is major surgery.

namechangeforanonymity Fri 09-Feb-18 20:13:48

Yes, I did.

Consultant tried to bounce me into have an induction on the morning that I turned up for the planned C-section. Wasn't having that and told him so !

A senior midwife on the post natal ward approached me and was quite snotty about my choice within minutes of my bed being parked up in a 4 bed bay but my husband was quick to stop her in her tracks verbally. Her attitude somewhat validated my decision not to put myself at the mercy of an under resourced (and in places in-informed) labour and maternity ward facility.

QuietFin Fri 09-Feb-18 20:14:21

I've had 3 babies, 2nd was breech so had a c-section, have to say it was my most relaxed, calm birth and myself and my partner had a lovely time chatting and joking before!
Yes it was more painful afterwards and took abit longer to heal, but as long as you take all the painkillers on offer and take it easy for the first week it's fine!
Good luck with whatever you decide x

namechangeforanonymity Fri 09-Feb-18 20:14:31

"un-informed"

littlepooch Fri 09-Feb-18 20:23:01

I had an emergency section with my first and elective with second.

I loved both my sections even the emergency one was a wonderful experience in the end. My second was so calm and relaxed. I didn't find recovery particularly bad with either - I took it easy the first week in particular and took my painkillers religiously. It was a little harder second time round but suspect that's because I had my toddler to look after as well x

JW13 Fri 09-Feb-18 20:24:48

I had an ELCS 5.5 weeks ago due to maternal request (fear of birth, no physical reason). It's by no means a walk in the park but it was much easier than I expected and the recovery has been pretty good as well. Mine was at 39+3 as my due date fell on a Saturday and then it was a bank holiday.

I was in first and the doctors were all great. It was very calm. They struggled a bit with the spinal injection but that was the only slightly stressful part. Baby arrived less than 10 mins after the spinal started working. Had skin to skin and I was stitched up and out of theatre in about 30 mins. I was sore afterwards but not as bad as other surgery I've had (appendix removal and shoulder repair keyhole surgery).

I stood up and had a little walk the same evening. Then catheter removal and shower the following morning. Discharged that evening so only one night in hospital. I was a bit concerned at how quickly I was discharged but actually I think it was the best thing.

I was fine going up and down stairs and waking round the house straight away. Sleeping was difficult as I like to sleep on my side and I needed to sleep on my back for the first few days. I had to self inject anti-clotting injections for 10 days which wasn't fun but was straightforward (just in my thighs, not in veins).

Scar has healed really well and it's very low so I don't think it will ever be visible, even with a bikini. I was walking around our local park (4km) in just over a week and up to 10km in about 3-4 weeks.

I'm not BF'ing but my milk came in on about day 3/4 after the section so no problems there.

All in all I had a very positive experience with no complications.

AnUtterIdiot Fri 09-Feb-18 21:09:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Esc2C Fri 09-Feb-18 21:14:33

I had one with DS and have my second booked in for DS2. Mine was done under a GA as the spinal failed and is likely to fail this time too. I had a great experience and recovery was quick. I wouldn’t change it at all with the power of hindsight.

AnUtterIdiot Fri 09-Feb-18 21:14:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Rockandrollwithit Fri 09-Feb-18 21:17:54

I had an ELCS for DS2 after an absolutely horrific birth with DS1.

It was amazing! Everyone was so calm, the spinal didn't really hurt and the procedure itself wasn't painful. It just felt like enormous baby movements, that kind of pressure. Was up within seven hours and walking around etc. Within a week was walking fine and didn't have any real pain as long as I stuck to a schedule with paracetemol / ibuprofen.

The only thing I will say is that I'm now five months on and I'm still a bit sore to touch so it will take a while. But I'm in a far better position than I was five months after my vaginal birth.

Nottalotta Fri 09-Feb-18 21:19:45

Oh and no issues breastfeeding. Skin to skin straight within a minute or two . Latched on after about 20 minutes.

halfwitpicker Fri 09-Feb-18 21:23:06

My experience was exactly the same as littlepooch.

elliejjtiny Fri 09-Feb-18 21:28:51

I had a semi elective (planned 2 days before) and an emergency c-section. I found them both horrendous but I had 3 uncomplicated and easy vaginal births before so I don't have a difficult vaginal birth to compare them to.

coffeeX10 Fri 09-Feb-18 22:33:11

I had an ELCS as DD was breach - i don’t have a vaginal birth for comparison but it was great. My milk came in straight away, got skin on skin as soon as she was weighed and was feeding her in recovery before we went onto the ward.
My recovery felt fine as my terrible SPD ended right away so I was able to move around much easier than I was able to during pregnancy! I went home at 24hrs on the dot and drove 2w after when my husband went back to work (doctor wrote me a fit to drive type letter for my insurance company)
The scar is really small and really low. I’ve asked for ELCS for this pregnancy instead of VBAC and hope for another positive experience.

Gennz18 Sat 10-Feb-18 11:34:42

I did for DS 3 years ago and will again for this baby in June. No medical reason - maternal request. I had hideous SPD and couldn't walk at all by week 38.

Got DS out at 39 weeks on the dot, home after 2 days. Was very vigilant about taking painkillers. Breastfeeding went well, was walking to the shops after about 10 days, swimming lengths after about 4 weeks.

To be honest it took longer to recover from the Spd than the CS. Scar has completely faded. Fingers crossed this time goes as well!

DuggeeHugs Sat 10-Feb-18 14:12:23

DC1 was an EMCS and DC2 an ELCS. They were lovely births! Lots of skin to skin time and breastfeeding straightaway. The theatre staff were amazing and created a great atmosphere smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: