Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Scans and going on holiday

(10 Posts)
birdybirdbird Fri 09-Feb-18 17:08:04

I am due to go on holiday (long haul but with a layover) when I'll be 13 +4. I'm a bit concerned about the 12 week scene being so close to when I'm due to go away. Do you think it's worth me having a slightly earlier scan so I have some more time in case there are any issues before going away? Would the NHS do this or would I have to pay privately?

It's my first pregnancy and I'm a bit clueless - thought people here might be able to stop me asking a potentially stupid question at my booking in appointment next week!

PotteringAlong Fri 09-Feb-18 17:09:33

No. Because potentially an earlier scan would mean that it’s too early to flag up issues that might require further investigation / termination.

Pittcuecothecookbook Fri 09-Feb-18 17:10:07

What's the problem with going away a week after the scan? Do you mean it'll affect your holiday if it's bad news? X

Buxbaum Fri 09-Feb-18 17:12:10

The window for nuchal translucency screening is between 11+0 and 13+6 so you probably won't have much wiggle room.

Strongvegetables Fri 09-Feb-18 17:14:59

you Can pay for a private one, just make sure you go to a medical diagnostic one and not one of the entertainment chains

birdybirdbird Fri 09-Feb-18 17:21:03

Not so much that it will 'affect' the holiday. I was thinking more along the lines that if there was a problem and I had to have a ERPC, I would then be in a far off country with possibly not the best medical care and could be unwell.

GinnyBaker Fri 09-Feb-18 17:29:16

Do you have a date for the scan yet? Unlikely to be exactly 12 weeks to the day....might be 10 days after that & still in the window

mindutopia Fri 09-Feb-18 17:45:13

I would just make sure you have travel insurance. The NHS probably won't book you an earlier on just because you are going on holiday, but they might if you ask. With my first, they booked my booking appointment early because I was traveling for work, but it was because I actually wasn't going to be here for the booking appt (was overseas from 8-end of 10 weeks), so I had it at 7 weeks, which is a little on the early ish side.

Realistically, it's unlikely you'll make it to 12 weeks with no hint of a problem if there is one. But you could always have a private scan if you want. I have had an EPRC (due to mmc) and I would say I would have been able to travel after about 9 days, anything short of that and I would have needed to cancel. But I did travel internationally (on my own) about 2 ish weeks after and was perfectly fine. More than likely though all will be well and I wouldn't stress about it. Just wise to have good travel insurance anytime you are traveling and pregnant.

DirtyThirties Fri 09-Feb-18 17:48:13

I had my dates wrong and when I turned up for the 12 week scan they said I was only 11 weeks and booked me back in for 10 days later. So I can't see them agreeing to a scan before 12 weeks. It should be before your holiday though so I would wait until you're about 10 weeks and if you still don't have an appointment call up and give them a prod

birdybirdbird Fri 09-Feb-18 17:48:22

Thanks @mindutopia, that's good advice. I have got my booking app a little early - I'm a teacher and they offered to do it in my half term. The whole thing has just surprised me a bit and I'm not really thinking!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: