Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

I can’t shake off the feeling that something is wrong

(81 Posts)
Justgotmypositive Fri 09-Feb-18 08:22:07

Ok I’m prepared for people to think this sounds ridiculous. I’m around 5.5-6 weeks pregnant at the moment and feeling some nausea but I feel so sure something is not right. In a previous pregnancy that had no symptoms and ended in miscarriage I had the same conviction that something was wrong. In my last pregnancy I was worried but felt it was generally ok. I’m really worried that my instincts are right and this will end in another missed miscarriage. I know there’s nothing I can do and I’m not sure what I want from posting here. Maybe just to know if anyone else has been in a similar position.

nailsathome Fri 09-Feb-18 08:26:10

Probably not what you want to hear but I've had 3 mcs and I knew without doubt that there was something wrong with all of them.

I currently on my third healthy pregnancy and I am anxious and worried and keep thinking "what if it goes wrong" but those feelings have been different in my good pregnancies.

I hope you're ok.

Justgotmypositive Fri 09-Feb-18 08:30:05

No it’s not what I want to hear but it’s what I’m expecting. I’m not sure if I should try to arrange an early scan but last time the midwives were very dismissive of my sense that something was wrong and I really struggled to get a scan date. In the end it was about a week before my 12 week scan should have been. I’m ok. I think I just want to know one way or another but I am definitely prepared for a loss. Thank you so much for your reply and congratulations on your pregnancy.

Afternooncatnap Fri 09-Feb-18 08:40:46

I had the feeling that something had was wrong with my ds from early pregnancy. He was born with disabilities. I just knew somthing wasn't right. I also knew from early on that he was a boy.

I personally think that some people have very good intuition.

Hopefully your just being paranoid.

Girlwiththearabstrap Fri 09-Feb-18 08:43:43

On the flip side I have had that feeling each time I've been pregnant. One time was a miscarriage, the other time I ended up almost being treated for an ectopic until the aonographer noticed that I had a reverted uterus and things could just take longer to show. Daughter is now 3! I also had the same certainty this time round and I'm now 28 weeks.

I know its easier said than done but try not to panic in the absence of pain or bleeding. I hope your midwife wasn't dismissing any anxiety but I guess they can't offer scans where there's no clinical need. I hope you're ok.

pastabest Fri 09-Feb-18 08:47:30

I 'knew' with my first that it was a miscarriage, I even had a glass of wine the night before my private scan at 10 weeks I was so sure. I was right.

With my second pregnancy I was absolutely certain that it was okay, didn't have any of the fear that most people talk about with a pregnancy after miscarriage. I was right and she was absolutely fine.

With my third pregnancy I was convinced from about 8 weeks that it was another miscarriage. Made it to 12 weeks and went prepared to the scan for bad news. Everything was fine. 23 weeks now and everything is still looking fine. I was totally wrong.

Justgotmypositive Fri 09-Feb-18 09:28:54

Thank you for the replies everyone. I do hope I’m just being paranoid. I’ve queried with the midwives the chances of an early scan this pregnancy and they’ve said no unless theres bleeding which is fair enough. I’m considering booking a private scan but they are expensive and I’m not sure if it would actually put my mind at rest.

ChangoMutney Fri 09-Feb-18 09:35:32

I felt this with dc1, midwife wouldn't take me seriously and I was getting so anxious that I paid for a private scan.

Everything was fine. I felt the same with Dc's 2 and 3. All babies were perfect.

If your that worried get a private scan at least you'll know.

Juststrugglingabit Fri 09-Feb-18 09:51:39

I'd try and hold out until 8 weeks for a private scan - they can cause so much confusion and drawn out stress otherwise.

I've felt like you feel often in both of my pregnancies. I think in time I got used to feeling that way and there being no correlation with anything actually being wrong, so the feelings receded a lot. In my experience, it's easier to feel confident when you can feel them kicking around and see them on scans.

Justgotmypositive Fri 09-Feb-18 09:55:58

If I go for a private scan I’m going to book it for around 9 weeks. I know it won’t help my anxiety now but at least I’d know sooner than 12 weeks if something is wrong. Fingers crossed it’s ok though.

Aria2015 Fri 09-Feb-18 10:02:32

Its hard because I've had a gut feeling that something was wrong and there was sadly, but then that left me very anxious with subsequent pregnancies and I kept on interpreting the anxiety as a 'gut feeling' and actually everything turned out ok. So for me my gut feeling was wrong and it could be the same with you and what you are actually feeling is fear and anxiety which is natural after having been hurt by a loss. I recommend an early scan as at least you will know either way. After my first loss I had early scans for my subsequent two other pregnancies. One was bad news but I was glad to find out early and one was good news that I was just glad to find out about! Good luck!

Alicejj8x Fri 09-Feb-18 10:02:55

Hello everyone I am new in this thread

I have just found out yesterday I am
1-2 weeks pregnant from a clear blue digi test

I have pcos was diagnosed finally in December last year and put on metformin

We've been ttc for over 2 years with 1 miscarriage.

I am so so nervous it'll end in Mc again!!

Does anyone have any tips for me to ease my anxiety with this sad

I have sore boobs
Tingling boobs
Mild back ache
And then being sick/ feeling sick

Burstingwithlife Fri 09-Feb-18 10:14:28

Bless your heart, I think a lot of us have felt the same as you. But what’s important to remember is that the outcome has been both positive aswell as negative. I had a mc in Jan but conceived in June 17. At 10 weeks I had a severe bleed, haemorrhaging. It was awful. It was assumed I’d had another mc, but bizarrely and to even the consultants surprise when scanning to confirm mc, there was my baby bouncing about quite happily. I’m now 34 weeks pregnant. What I’m saying is your baby is still there. Possibly you don’t dare have any hope for fear of being shattered again. How you feel is completely understandable but try not to cheat yourself out of having a little hope. It won’t change the outcome. Xxx

stepbystepdoula Fri 09-Feb-18 10:33:57

It's a worrying time, especially after miscarriage.
I think your midwives need to be listening to your concerns, your emotional well-being ( the need to be reassured) is their job too, not just the physical aspect of pregnancy. Try to talk with them again.
Good luck 💟

trevthecat Fri 09-Feb-18 11:04:50

With my first I had this feeling. Had mc before and had the feeling then too. My son was born with kidney problems but they sorted themselves out and he's healthy now. (Aged 7). Try to just relax, maybe speak to your gp. Maybe book an early private scan? Oh hope everything is ok

Justgotmypositive Fri 09-Feb-18 11:17:29

I am so glad to see positive stories from other people. It helps me feel a little better and like there’s more chance of it being ok and just anxiety and fear.
@Burstingwithlife how amazing that your baby was still there and happy after such a heavy bleed. I wonder what caused it. It must have been the best feeling to see your baby on that scan. I should get a phone call from the midwives with a booking in appointment so I think I will raise my concerns again then otherwise I suspect I’ll be booking a private scan.

Isadora2007 Fri 09-Feb-18 13:47:12

I have only had the blissful naivety of no worries in my first pregnancy. The other three I have had bad dreams of blood, dying babies, blank scans etc. And had worries for how things would turn out fairly regularly.
All four of my children were born healthy and happy and I have never miscarried luckily. But I definitely have worried and “felt” that something was wrong.

Alicejj8x Fri 09-Feb-18 14:02:31

It's a horrible feeling sad

Positive thoughts and positive vibes to all xx

Sarahh2014 Fri 09-Feb-18 14:04:44

My baby was born healthy but I had a feeling all was not well I think I was so desperate for him to be born ok I kept imagining things

Alicejj8x Fri 09-Feb-18 14:40:55

Can anyone help me work out how far gone I am

I did a clear blue digi and it said 1-2 weeks but I've heard that technically I'm classed as a
Month already

The app says 5 weeks + 4?

My last period started on the 1st jan
I think I ovulated late and ovulated on the 26th jan

I don't know how to work it out

Burstingwithlife Fri 09-Feb-18 15:40:08

Hi @alicejjb
A pregnancy is usually counted like this. Day one of the pregnancy is the first day after your period finished. So for example if you finished bleeding on the 1st Jan, the 2nd jan is counted as the first day of your pregnancy.
It’s counted this way as we are all different and ovulate on slightly diff dates sndvof course implant at different times.
Once you have your 12 week scan they can adjust your dates accordingly depending ding on the development of your baby.
My pregnancy was brought forward one week based on my scan which meant I must have ovulated a week earlier than I thought. X hope that makes sense. Congratulations xxx

Alicejj8x Fri 09-Feb-18 15:56:38

Yes thank you very much smile
It's so confusing isn't it lol

They have told me I am having an early scan in 2 weeks time but will there be anything there to see like heart beat wise and baby wise coz I duno if 4 weeks is too early but by then I guess I'll be abit further along

Burstingwithlife Fri 09-Feb-18 17:20:42

R@alicejjbx
I had a scan at 10 weeks once. They use what they call an internal wand in really early pregnancy. I had miscarried so was just having the scan to confirm. Although I was 10 weeks since my last period, the baby had only survived to 5-6 weeks. They could see it in the screen. I don’t know if a heart beat would be visible then. Are you worrying for a reason? Xx

Alicejj8x Fri 09-Feb-18 18:37:54

Thank you
I am worrying I think coz I had a miscarriage before and just freaking out but I never new I was pregnant till I wa 10 weeks gone and then they told me I lost the baby at 6 weeks. I think I am worried coz of last time

charlottexox Fri 09-Feb-18 19:06:44

@Alicejj8x congrats on your positive. I also have pcos and got diagnosed at 18. Have a healthy DD who is 17 months and pregnant with baby #2. I'm having a private scan with this baby at 8 weeks as my anxiety is high as well.
You should do the same. Good luck x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: