Talk

Advanced search

advise please

(21 Posts)
dippyeggandsoldiers Fri 09-Feb-18 03:52:25

I've had a gut feeling that somethings wrong - I've felt my baby move, but nowhere near as much as normal, she's normally very active! I'm currently 35 weeks + 4 days, at my last midwife appointment I was informed that I was measuring 2 weeks behind, however the midwife didn't seem concerned. I've been told by several people that I look tiny considering how far along I am. I may be being paranoid because of all the comments but I just feel like I'm on edge, I'm hesitant to ring the hospital as I've been in twice for reduced movements already and after half an hour of me being there, baby started kicking away. I don't want to go in to waste anyone's time. Any advise would be appreciated

dippyeggandsoldiers Fri 09-Feb-18 03:53:22

I should also mention I've had a few stabbing pains throughout the day just below my belly button.

L0ngg0ne Fri 09-Feb-18 04:00:10

I completely understand your anxiety as I'm 25+2 weeks and barely showing (so also been subjected to "You're so small! :O"-style comments, and the resulting worry about my baby's size/health), and also ended up in the EOU due to reduced/lighter foetal movements a few weeks ago (even posted a thread about it at the time cause I was so concerned) - ended up being nothing. Although everything probably IS fine, you're never wasting anyone's time by calling up or going in if you're genuinely concerned - which it seems you are.

I wish you all the best, and do try to relax (I know it's hard, as I'm a natural worrier myself) x

L0ngg0ne Fri 09-Feb-18 04:00:36

I completely understand your anxiety as I'm 25+2 weeks and barely showing (so also been subjected to "You're so small! :O"-style comments, and the resulting worry about my baby's size/health), and also ended up in the EOU due to reduced/lighter foetal movements a few weeks ago (even posted a thread about it at the time cause I was so concerned) - ended up being nothing. Although everything probably IS fine, you're never wasting anyone's time by calling up or going in if you're genuinely concerned - which it seems you are.

I wish you all the best, and do try to relax (I know it's hard, as I'm a natural worrier myself) x

KTD27 Fri 09-Feb-18 04:00:54

Please go in. Call. And go in to be monitored. Could be nothing a bit of anxiety due to what you’ve mentioned. Could be something else. Go.

dippyeggandsoldiers Fri 09-Feb-18 04:04:41

Thank you ladies for your replies, I'm worrying myself sick, I can't sleep because I'm so worried. The care unit I would usually ring isn't open until 7am, would I just ring L&D? x

ToftheB Fri 09-Feb-18 04:11:44

You should go in. It’s far better to be over cautious and the hospital will be happy to see you.
I measured small for my last trimester, and had extra scans etc - everyone I saw really hammered home how important monitoring movement is. In all likelihood your baby is absolutely fine and will perk up as soon as they hook you up to the monitor (mine always did, and he still came early and was pretty small), but if there’s a slim chance of any sort of issue it’s better to know.

ToftheB Fri 09-Feb-18 04:12:58

Call l&d - they’ll know if you should head in now or first thing in the morning x

dippyeggandsoldiers Fri 09-Feb-18 04:23:35

@ToftheB Ive just got up and out of bed and the pains underneath my belly button are getting abit worse. I think I'll definitely give them a call, thank you xx

Girlwiththearabstrap Fri 09-Feb-18 06:35:35

I hope you and baby are ok. The advice is to ALWAYS call with reduced movements. Chances are everything is fine but there's no way of knowing that without monitoring.

PinkAvocado Fri 09-Feb-18 06:38:13

In my last pregnancy I called and had to go in for monitoring lots as a result of reduced movements. They always encouraged me to and never made me feel like I was wasting their time.

Afreshcuppateaplease Fri 09-Feb-18 06:43:32

Hope you have been checked out op

Burstingwithlife Fri 09-Feb-18 06:44:15

Definitely go in ASAP. Don’t worry about what they will think. The staff will completely understand. Besides, you are so close to having your baby it won’t be long and you’ll never have to see the staff again (at least for a while) xxx

dippyeggandsoldiers Fri 09-Feb-18 08:31:32

Hi all - thank you for your replies. I ended up ringing labour and delivery and going in to be monitored. I'm currently waiting to see the doctor now x

ToftheB Fri 09-Feb-18 08:50:59

I’m very glad that you’ve gone in - you’ve done the right thing. I hope you and your baby are well. Xx

Afreshcuppateaplease Fri 09-Feb-18 09:29:02

Hope all is well op

Burstingwithlife Fri 09-Feb-18 10:02:47

It’s grest that you’ve gone in. I would have myself. Fingers and toes crossed for you. If you can, keep us posted xx

dippyeggandsoldiers Fri 09-Feb-18 21:59:33

I ended up staying until 3pm, was sent for a scan and checked over. Baby is estimated at 5lb 3, there's a mild drop in her growth. I've got to go back in 2 weeks for another scan 🙁 x

L0ngg0ne Sat 10-Feb-18 05:35:53

Hey, OP. Really glad you went in. Try not to panic - lots of people deliver babies bigger than what they're estimated to. I personally think everything will be fine. Hope everything goes well for you and your baby x

Burstingwithlife Sat 10-Feb-18 07:31:22

@dippyeggandsoldiers
I’m so glad you’ve checked out ok. In face as soon as I woke this morning I thought of you and your sharp stabbing pains. I don’t mean to be funny but I had this about three weeks ago and it turned out to be wind. I could have sworn it wasn’t as it didn’t feel like that but midwife explained all my organs are squashed up and they are all in different places so it can feel different. A warm drink and bath then a doze soon sorted it. It could have been the reason for your pains. I’m so glad your little one checked out ok. At least you know you’ve done the right thing and that they are keeping a close eye on you. Xx

ToftheB Sat 10-Feb-18 09:38:13

Hello. I’m very glad you got thoroughly checked out, they must be satisfied that she’s happy enough in there at the moment or they wouldn’t have let you go home.

They’re super cautious with any sort of growth restriction - I had weekly scans for my whole 3rd trimester. I was really worried to begin with, but everyone we saw was really reassuring. The vast majority of babies with growth concerns are just on the small side and are absolutely fine. When they do your next scan in a couple of weeks they’ll have two accurate measurements and they’ll be able to tell if your baby is growing at the right rate but is just slightly smaller than predicted. If she’s dropping off that growth rate they’ll want to induce her a bit early, but you’ll be 37 weeks by then so she’ll be ‘full term’ anyway.

My ds was born after my waters broke at bang on 37 weeks, weighing 6lb4. He’s fine, and was bigger than they predicted from the scans! All you need to do is keep an eye on movements and don’t hesitate to go in if they change xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now