Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Baby Cream

(11 Posts)
DaisyLand Thu 08-Feb-18 14:49:34

Hi
Do you use baby creams on newborns? I have just realised taht i've not much idea about it! If so what brands do you recommend?
I'm lazy with myself have got a few creams but barely ever used them, angry
But i guess I should behave better with baby me smile

Thanks!

awankstainonhumanity Thu 08-Feb-18 15:42:50

I didn't. O didn't use anything but water for over a year! He then started to get a bit of dry skin do now use oilatum cream.

Wolfiefan Thu 08-Feb-18 15:44:50

Never used them. Nappy cream for nappy rash but try and use nothing but water for as long as possible.

QueenAravisOfArchenland Thu 08-Feb-18 16:29:56

You really don't need any. If baby has very dry flaky skin then a MW or HV would recommend small amounts of high-quality olive oil or similar. Otherwise babies' skin is healthiest left alone, with the exception of barrier creams for nappy rash.

DaisyLand Thu 08-Feb-18 17:12:43

Perfect ! Something else not to care about ! Thanks !

lizzlebizzle33 Thu 08-Feb-18 17:15:46

Yea just water and not too many baths, avoid baby wipes for the dirt month or so too, try and use just warm water and cotton wool pads.

slippermaiden Thu 08-Feb-18 19:37:11

We used oil to moisturise, but not baby oil as it's made of the same stuff as petrol! Vegetable or olive oil on dry patches works nicely.

Mybabystolemysanity Thu 08-Feb-18 19:43:05

Vaseline on bum from the first few days. We didn't and poor DD got terrible nappy rash. It's wonderful stuff.

gryffen Thu 08-Feb-18 23:26:11

Dermol emollient as a soap substitute and water til 2 weeks then normal baths and wipes etc. Never had an issue and Dermol works dry or wet so helped with teething rash.

L0ngg0ne Fri 09-Feb-18 00:32:21

Strange question, but what race is your baby? I ask this because Caucasian skin is made up of a lot more moisture than, say, black skin, which is why Caucasian people can get away with not moisturising after a shower but there's no way a black person would want to do this (it'd leave us with very dry, tight skin). I plan to moisturise my black baby with coconut oil when he's born, which is exactly what I use on my skin. I always opt for natural over chemical-ridden.

DaisyLand Fri 09-Feb-18 04:18:08

Hi. Not at all. He’ll be Caucasian.

Thanks all for your replies !

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: