Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Dog regression due to my being pregnant?

(7 Posts)
MummaJJ Thu 08-Feb-18 13:52:02

Is this a thing? Could this be the reason my dogs behaviour has changed.

He's almost 8years old and we've had him since a pup. I was pregnant when we first got him and all was as well as you'd expect. House trained perfectly etc obviously with the odd extremely rare exception- no real issues.

Now I'm pregnant again and this week for some unknown reason he has done the number 2 in the house twice. The first time I accepted it could have just been an urgent accident when no one was home. The second being this morning everyone was home and he didn't do his usual nudge nudge I need to go out bit. And it wasn't just a little squeeze it out for relief type - it was huge and normally if he were to have the odd accident it would be by the back door or 'hidden'.

My question is do you think this is something to worry about or could it just be his way of reacting to me being pregnant??

Just curios if others think this is possible or it's his age or if we need to make a visit to the vets??

Any help appreciated - I've also posted in the pets section 😀

Loosemoose28 Thu 08-Feb-18 17:55:50

I believe anything is possible with animals.

My dog was loving feeling the little kicks of my bump but now they have got bigger he doesn’t want to know as he was proper booted in the head last week while laying on me and went and sat on his bed sad

Loosemoose28 Thu 08-Feb-18 17:56:34

If it keeps happening then maybe vet. Hopefully a one off x

CrabbyPatty Thu 08-Feb-18 18:42:21

Didn't know kicks could be that strong! One of my cat likes to sit on my belly like she's keeping an egg warm since I've been pregnant.

olicat Thu 08-Feb-18 19:21:51

I think if it happens again no harm in a trip to the vet. Could be that he's picking up on a change in hormones? We get adaptil plug ins for our dog and it seems to help reduce anxiety so may be worth a try too.

Crabby one of my cats is the same - she has ignored me for years but now doesn't leave me alone!

thislifeofmine Thu 08-Feb-18 21:53:28

My dogs were a bloody nightmare the first 5 months I have been pregnant- both of them who were previously housetrained for years started weeing & pooing in the house... they have settled down finally (I'm now 8 months).

They were also awful to walk- really aggressive to other dogs. I have had to get someone else to walk them!

DogsandBaby Sat 10-Feb-18 17:29:47

Have the same issue as thislifeofmine with my 5 year old dog. Absolute nightmare walking her atm, never aggressive before but now very very protective of me. She must be able to smell the hormones! Hahah

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: