Talk

Advanced search

Would it be unusual to have an early scan on first pregnant and no worrying symptoms?

(12 Posts)
Febe123 Wed 07-Feb-18 20:47:34

I was thinking of having an early scan as 12 week one seems so far away. I've only just become pregnant and it's my first,. Is it mostly just people who have had miscarriages or bleeding that go for these?

I'm aware that I will have to pay for it myself.

MoDip Wed 07-Feb-18 20:48:50

I am doing the same on Saturday at 8 weeks! Seems a long wait and to be honest I think being on here has contributed to the anxiety!

nomorespaghetti Wed 07-Feb-18 20:49:28

No, lots of people go for early reassurance scans. I did last time, because my DH was away with work when it was my 12 week scan. I might again this time.

Addy2 Wed 07-Feb-18 21:10:44

I went for an early one purely because I was paranoid in case it was ectopic (though no history of this). I also wanted to see a heartbeat.

ClareB83 Wed 07-Feb-18 21:15:56

Most people I know seem to get one at 9 weeks ish.

I wasn't planning to but had bleeding so had a scan at EPU. That's when we found out it was twins and I'd definitely get an early scan if I was pregnant again because 1) it's the only scan picture with both of their whole bodies in it, 2) it's easier to work out what kind of twin they at in early scans and 3) it affects care eg I needed more folic acid up to 14 weeks (which would have been a bit late to find out at 12 week scan).

Plus a heartbeat at 9 weeks is really a very good sign the pregnancy will continue.

babydreamer1 Wed 07-Feb-18 21:31:54

Why would it be unusual, if you're paying then it's your choice and the doesn't have to be a reason.

I'm having one at 7+3 purely because it's my first baby, I'm excited and I want to know all is as it should be.

wilts09 Wed 07-Feb-18 21:42:37

I had one just for own piece of mind and to know dates etc as periods all over the place. It's a lovely thing to see that little flutter and then see how much they have grown at 12 & 20 week scans.

ClareB83 Wed 07-Feb-18 21:50:44

The difference is huge - compare week 9 (both of them) and week 12 (only one per pic).

GrumpyOldBagFace Wed 07-Feb-18 21:56:21

I had 7 week scans with both of mine. I just wanted to know if they were viable!
#1 had a lovely clear heartbeat straight away
#2 didn't detect a heartbeat but went back a week later and there it was

chocolateorangeowls Wed 07-Feb-18 21:56:32

I went for an early scan in my first pregnancy and discovered I'd had a MMC. In my next pregnancy I also went for an early scan and I'd do it again if I was pregnant again. I don't think it's unusual to go at all.

FloydOnThePull Wed 07-Feb-18 22:04:18

I had one at 8 weeks purely because I've never been pregnant before and we were desperate to see something other than a line on a pee stick. It was lovely, both DH and I cried buckets at the little fuzzy blob with the flickering heartbeat.

When we went for the 12 week scan I was a bit sheepish about mentioning the reassurance scan to the sonographer but it came up in conversation and she said she thought they were a great thing and were to be encouraged if possible.

HolyShmoly Wed 07-Feb-18 22:43:22

Went for an 8 week scan because 12 weeks felt like aaaaages away. Check out Groupon for a deal too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now