Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

I'm becoming a pathetic hypochondriac

(14 Posts)
FuckMyUterus Wed 07-Feb-18 19:43:46

So... I've posted twice in the last month or so, and this will probably be long so sorry in advance.
I am just over 8 weeks pregnant and currently have a raging UTI which my GP has given me nitrofurantoin for.
Since I've been taking the antibiotics, I've had the most horrendous cramps in my lower abdomen, and I have discharge which is EVER so slightly tinged brown (I mean I have to really squint at the toilet paper to see it). A friend told me that antibiotics can cause brown discharge in pregnancy, as can utis, but I can't find anything on Google to support this. Please be kind, I know this is a bit of a non issue compared with other pregnancy problems but had a few early losses last year so my anxiety levels are through the roof!

fidgetsmumx Wed 07-Feb-18 19:49:35

Have you tried calling EPU to see their opinion?

Hopefully it is just the antibiotics causing some nasty CM clearing out your infection xx

FuckMyUterus Wed 07-Feb-18 19:51:00

fidget Rang EPU today and they said without me coming in they can't comment, but said as they're extremely stretched at the moment I'd need a midwife referral to come in, no self referrals accepted atm.

Girlwiththearabstrap Wed 07-Feb-18 20:00:05

You aren't being pathetic at all! Pregnancy after loss is really hard and spotting is nerve wracking. Brownish is generally ok and can be old implantation bleeding. Call your midwife or GP and see what they say and if they will refer you to epu.

FuckMyUterus Wed 07-Feb-18 20:10:58

Thank you! In all fairness I have a private scan booked for this Saturday so not gonna ask for an NHS scan too, tbh if anything is going wrong at this early stage, there's nothing to be done anyway sad I just got SO sad when I saw that squinty slightly brown shade when I wiped earlier as that's how my first MC started. I don't even know what I want from the replies on here to be honest?

Timefor2 Wed 07-Feb-18 20:13:59

You're definitely not being a hypochondriac. Even without losses, early pregnancy is really horrible - I was constantly checking for discharge and worrying that things weren't working out. Glad you have a private scan lined up and everything firmly crossed for you. flowers

FuckMyUterus Wed 07-Feb-18 20:16:46

timefor2 thank you, I'm hoping in some bizarre twist of fate there'll be a lady on here with the exact same set of circumstances who can tell me she had the perfect outcome... Saturday seems so far away to find out whether my little bean is okay or already gone sad

spugzbunny Wed 07-Feb-18 22:49:26

I took nitroforantain (or however you spell it!!) at about 8 weeks and had a slight bleed around 9. My bled was brown then watery pink. Scared the ever living fuck out of me but doctor and Midwife both said it was probably my placenta implanting. I'm due to give birth any day now and baby is currently punching her way out .. or it feels like it!

One thing to note - the brown could be either in your wee from your UTI if it's a bad one or nitrofawhatsit also stains wee. For me it's a bright yellow colour but i think the insert does say brown is also normal.

AnUtterIdiot Thu 08-Feb-18 01:10:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FuckMyUterus Thu 08-Feb-18 07:45:52

Thanks guys, the nitrofurantoin has stained my wee yellow and the brown was definitely discharge not in my urine, but whatever it was it's stopped now, and so have the cramps, which can only be a good thing. I caved and rang 111 last night to see if they knew what it could be, they said the cramps could be baby moving about (which I can't feel yet) and bumping my uterus against my bladder, which will be very sore and inflamed. They also confirmed that UTIs can cause brown discharge in pregnancy, so I'm reassured now!

FuckMyUterus Sat 10-Feb-18 13:51:05

Just thought I'd update, had the scan and all went well smile

spugzbunny Sat 10-Feb-18 21:06:38

Ah that's fantastic news! Thanks for updating too - I know when I was frantically googling my symptoms, all I wanted was the few people who said it went ok and all was well!

FuckMyUterus Sun 11-Feb-18 08:12:20

Well it went as well as it could, baby is in the right place, has a heartbeat and is measuring almost spot on for my dates, so I'm happy.

FuckMyUterus Tue 20-Feb-18 07:32:05

Okay so I wasn't being a pathetic hypochondriac... Started with brown spotting again Sunday, and have started to bleed red blood this morning... Looks like my little bean wasn't meant to be ❤️

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: