Talk

Advanced search

Struggling with food

(21 Posts)
coastalchick Wed 07-Feb-18 16:17:40

Feeling bad. 7+3 and had MMC end August last year (no kids). Hoping this one works out BUT I just cannot bring myself to eat healthily (and my diet wasn't great pre-pregnancy). I am literally off pretty much everything and am just craving pasta with grated cheese, fruit & fibre and maltesers! OH made me fish last night and it made me balk.

Really worried that baby not getting right food but just cannot face anything than the above. Taking pregnacare max religiously.

Any tips? Anyone else suffering?

zaalitje Wed 07-Feb-18 17:02:22

Craving carbs in the first trimester seems pretty normal.
My bump is made of sausage rolls, cheese in toast and chocolate milkshake and I'm heading towards the end of the second trimester.

coastalchick Wed 07-Feb-18 18:09:25

Oooh chocolate milkshake is one I could definitely handle!

wowbutter Wed 07-Feb-18 18:11:49

I craved salt and fat in the first trimester. My man diet was Big Macs, dominos pizza and chicken arrabiata ready meals. And a shit ton of lucozade.
Anything else made me fee sick' and I threw up after eating, so I stuck to my safe meals.
You can't cause a miscarriage by diet.

AyeAyeFishyPie Wed 07-Feb-18 18:13:25

I’m the same. I’m ten weeks and all I want are cheese sandwiches and Double Deckers. The thought of green leafy vegetables makes me want to heave. However i did force myself to eat some super healthy soup (DH bribed me with malteser bunnies) and although i felt sick I was glad I ate it. If course if you are actually throwing up disregard my advice entirely- something is better than nothing!

Sarahh2014 Wed 07-Feb-18 18:13:43

I craved meat and rubbish good during my pregnancy with ds I'm sure I didn't have a vegetable in 9 months and he was just fine

Sarahh2014 Wed 07-Feb-18 18:13:50

Food not good

Sarahh2014 Wed 07-Feb-18 18:14:33

Oh and I took pregnacare too

Flamingo84 Wed 07-Feb-18 18:19:58

The way I see it is, eat what you can (within pregnancy guidelines!). Some women having severe morning sickness will be getting by on less than you, so try not to worry.
Carbs are easy on your stomach and palate at the moment. Try to add some fruit/veg where you can (grapes, grapefruit and orange juice are my staples!). Midwife recommended smaller portions so I don’t feel overwhelmed by a plate full. Also you’re taking your vitamins so that’s a great start. As time goes on you’ll feel up to eating a bit more.
I’m 10+2 so I can relate! It felt like I’d never eat a whole dinner again!

TwinkleTee Wed 07-Feb-18 18:21:45

Totally normal! I could barely stomach anything but toast, plain pasta and cheese , plain rice and weirdly chicken schnitzel. On my second pregnancy where this is the case for the first 16 weeks. Only just able to stomach stir fries and steamed vegetables now at 24 weeks!

I just made sure that I took my prenatal vitamin and will worry about the weight loss after baby comes smile

CrabbyPatty Wed 07-Feb-18 18:27:41

OP your diet sounds delish! I'm lucky - I do have nausea which is limiting what I fancy but I'm managing some variety. I try and have a fruit smoothie with loads of goodness in and don't worry too much about the rest.

moreismore Wed 07-Feb-18 18:30:08

One of the few things I could stomach early on was digestive biscuits. Waaaaay too many biscuits! Just keep taking the multivits and as long as you are eating and drinking enough to function anything else is a bonus!

TheChineseChicken Wed 07-Feb-18 18:43:30

I really wouldn't worry. Unless you are starving yourself I shouldn't imagine your diet makes much difference to the baby's development. Only thing is to make sure you are taking folic acid and avoid potentially dangerous foods.

CoodleMoodle Wed 07-Feb-18 20:43:58

Eat whatever you can, don't worry too much about it being healthy! The important thing is to keep your energy up and eat enough that you don't get (more) nauseous. Being hungry 100% makes it worse.

My first pregnancy I survived on Ritz crackers and dry Bran Flakes until about 13 weeks. I still remember the joy when I managed to eat an apple and some cheese cut up into tiny pieces - it took me over an hour but I ate it! This carried on for awhile, then the nausea started slowing down and the appetite started creeping back. One day I woke up starving hungry and that was it, I didn't stop eating for the rest of my pregnancy (DH & DM said they'd never seen anything like it grin).

This time (I'm 17 weeks) I've been the same. Had one really bad day around 14 weeks and it's been getting better since then. Still waiting for the day I wake up ravenous, but I'm sure it'll come!

coastalchick Thu 08-Feb-18 07:56:45

Thanks ladies! This makes me feel better and sorry so many of us are struggling! OH keeps telling me off so I read him your responses and I think he will now shut up!!!

QueenAravisOfArchenland Thu 08-Feb-18 08:06:10

It's normal to go off fruit and veg in the first trimester and survive primarily on carbs. There's a theory that it's to protect the foetus from toxins, which were most likely to be found in unknown plants, during the most critical phase of brain development. So your feelings are totally SCIENCE.

Disclaimer to anyone who is eating fruit and veg fine: there are no dangerous toxins in them. We're talking about cavewomen eating wild plants they didn't know, not you eating domesticated broccoli!

Hoppinggreen Thu 08-Feb-18 08:10:59

I really struggled to eat during my first pregnancy and ended up losing 2 stones
I took pregnancy vits and part from that ate whatever I wanted whenever I wanted as I figured that I needed to eat even if it wasn’t the healthiest diet, anything was better than nothing.
Dd was born healthy and (sadly) I put the 2 stones back on within 6 months.
As long as you are getting your vits just eat what you fancy

charley39 Thu 08-Feb-18 12:54:00

I was just like you worrying about how bad my diet was during my pregnancy. Had bad morning sickness so it was a case of eating whatever seemed to stay down! I was convinced my baby would be really small or something wrong but just had our new arrival and he is completely healthy and chunky so I wouldn’t worry!

Oysterbabe Thu 08-Feb-18 13:03:11

Don't worry baby will be fine. I pretty much lived off supernoodles.

RosieCotton Thu 08-Feb-18 13:42:54

I spent my first trimester eating jacket potatoes and cheese. And drinking copious amounts of Dr pepper. Literally every day as everything else made my sickness worse.

coastalchick Thu 08-Feb-18 17:34:23

It's like I've got to keep eating or I feel sick. Lots of buttered wholegrain toast today. Asking for chicken or steak pie for tea - want the pastry. And donuts. OH has been charged with getting donuts. First trimester sucks but feel can't complain as grateful to be pregnant

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now