Talk

Advanced search

Maternity notes jargon

(5 Posts)
Twitchett22 Wed 07-Feb-18 15:47:21

So today for the 1st time my mw has written in my notes that baby is 1/5 eng. Does this mean 1/5 of babys head is in my pelvis i.e I've got frigging ages to go yet? Also does it have to be 5/5 before il go into labour?
Also can baby still turn at this point or is it pretty much guaranteed she'll stay head down? My mw wasn't very informative and told me nothing hmm

Oysterbabe Wed 07-Feb-18 15:49:36

How far along are you? My baby wasn't engaged at all then popped out in a few hours 3 days later.

pastabest Wed 07-Feb-18 15:50:55

I was 1/5 engaged from about 34 weeks I think. DD was born on her due date so she was there for ages.

It doesn't mean a huge amount really, just that things are pointing in the right direction

Twitchett22 Wed 07-Feb-18 17:13:51

Im 36 weeks, its just nice to see on the notes after writing 'free' for such a long time, but then it doesn't really mean that much i guess lol

KimmySchmidt1 Wed 07-Feb-18 17:45:10

It means 1/5 of the baby’s head is below the pelvic bone. 3/5 engaged is very low and plenty for labour to start but having saiid that I’ve been 3/5 engaged for at least a week and not in labour yet! Am 7 days overdue.

I think 5/5 engaged basically means the baby’s head is half way out your cervix lol so you won’t often seen much more than 3/5 prior to labour starting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now