Talk

Advanced search

First consultant appointment, what's it for?

(18 Posts)
Dinosauratemydaffodils Wed 07-Feb-18 15:28:37

I have my first consultant appointment coming up and I've been given so much different advice about it's purpose I'm totally confused. Even the two community midwives I see for my maternity care have given totally different answers and I'm a planner who likes to be organised so not knowing is really bothering me.

If it helps, I'll be 25 weeks and had an emcs with Ds (but apparently it's not to decide on method of birth?).

charlottexox Wed 07-Feb-18 15:39:07

Can I just ask if you had any complications with DS? Or are you classed as "obese" / overweight as I saw a consultant with DD because I am obese x

zaalitje Wed 07-Feb-18 15:39:23

It depends on why you are consultant led. Did they tell you why the booking appt? My midwife did as she did the assessment.

Dobbythesockelf Wed 07-Feb-18 15:43:15

I have to see a consultant because I had an emcs with my dd. My midwife told me it would be to discuss what happened and to weigh up whether I will be able to give birth naturally or not. It's not till April but from what I can gather it's normal to see a consultant if you have had a previous c section

Dinosauratemydaffodils Wed 07-Feb-18 15:49:58

I'm 40 and thought it was age, however both midwives have assured me it's not as there are so many women in our area having babies in their 40s, they've moved the cut off point to 41 unless it's your first.

It's not weight.

@charlottexox the only complication was he got stuck in my pelvis and needed to be born by emcs. I had assumed that this meeting was to discuss how I wanted to have this baby because of my previous history/age but have been told that's not the case.

@zaalitje Nope, just that I would see the Consultant at least once during the pregnancy. I didn't question it at the time because I thought I knew why however since then I've been told it isn't because of those things.

Dinosauratemydaffodils Wed 07-Feb-18 15:56:17

@Dobbythesockelf That would make sense. However the midwives know I won't talk about Ds's arrival and that I have zero interest in a vbac nor discussing any pros and cons of either vaginal birth or a section so surely they would have mentioned it so I could have prior warning (as you may have guessed I have a mental health condition or two)?

Quartz2208 Wed 07-Feb-18 16:01:12

Yes I have to say (and its been awhile) that I am almost certain my first consultant appointment was just to check how things were going (in relation to being pregnant after a c section) and then to discuss birth options and the best way forward - I was undecided though so it was a helpful discussion in deciding for me

it may just be then for you confirming the c section and checking its all going ok

AriadneThread Wed 07-Feb-18 16:04:23

I was sent to speak to consultant re birth anxiety. I discharged myself after they frightened me telling me baby was too small!

itshappening Wed 07-Feb-18 16:04:28

I had a first consultant appointment recently but did not see the consultant, just someone on his team.

You have obviously ticked a box somewhere due to something. I expect it will be fairly non focused unless you wish to discuss something in particular, just that they want a element of supervision by a doctor. You may have to wait and see. Do you plan to have a c section?

chaser90210 Wed 07-Feb-18 16:07:39

Following with interest as I have been told I will see consultant a few times this pregnancy. I'm guessing due to previous PPH but didn't have a section

Dinosauratemydaffodils Wed 07-Feb-18 16:23:55

@itshappening It's the wait and see which is stressing me. I've still got two weeks go and I'm not sleeping because of this. I know that's mostly irrational but still, knowing that isn't helping me sleep.

I don't want to discuss anything, I just want them to agree to another section. I can back up why I think it's the best option for me with appropriate research papers and their own guidance.

itshappening Wed 07-Feb-18 16:38:35

Oh dear, I am so sorry it is stressing you out so much. Maybe if you summarise your back up information in a letter and send it ahead or take a print out with you to the appointment that would help to limit the amount of discussion needed. You could explain in it that you find it difficult to talk about. However, try to get into a stressed or defensive mindset ( I know how easy this is to do!) because they may agree with you readily. Also, if you can take someone with you to the appointment who can help you out if things you are uncomfortable with talking about come up.

I recently had an appointment where I basically wrote out very briefly a history of relevant condition, just a few brief bullet points, tests done, meds I am on etc. Gave it to them....saves time and they can just ask follow up questions as they see fit.

itshappening Wed 07-Feb-18 16:39:25

Try NOT to get into a stressed mindset, sorry typo!

mummyG2C Wed 07-Feb-18 16:51:58

I am currently 34 weeks pregnant and had an emergency section with my DD two years ago due to undiagnosed breech. I had an apt with consultant (was actually her registrar and a midwife was present) at 25 weeks pregnant, if you have a csection you are automatically consultant led care in my area. This apt was about 45mins long the did the usual checks, wee, BP etc asked how things had been going. We then discussed my daughters birth and what I was thinking for this baby. I am going for a VBAC they discussed all expected risks, likelihood of birth, what will have to have this time that's different to first etc all stuff I was already aware off really. And that was that they rebooked me for another apt for 40+2 for a presentation scan at 36 weeks (as DD was undiagnosed breech) and basically said we will see you when you go over due to discuss next steps!

I can only tell you my experience and that of others who have all had pretty much the same experience. From what you have said I assume yours will be very similar you go in say you want a section they will say ok no problem, see you back at like 36ish weeks to see how you are doing check everything is ok and book you in for section if that's what you would like. Really don't worry too much or stress it's very harmless, I didn't have any push back and have gone for what I wanted without any hassles and am sure you will have the same experience. It was all very business just in and out tick the boxes and on you go! Hope that helps a little bit!

Dinosauratemydaffodils Wed 07-Feb-18 17:00:17

@mummyG2C Do you think they would have been okay with you refusing to discuss your daughter's birth/any risks this time around? My concern is they won't be happy with that.

I know I won't be getting the midwife checks because I see the community midwife a couple of days later so it will only be the consultant/a registrar.

mummyG2C Wed 07-Feb-18 17:10:15

The usual checks were standard as I had actually seen my community midwife for 25 weeks apt like 3 days before but think it was just standard that the doctor and midwife were present for this apt but that could just be my area?

I honestly don't think they would have been too concerned if you go in with what you do and do not want to discuss and exactly what you want for your birth this time I honestly think they will just be pleased that your apt will be nice and quick and they will be ahead for their clinic times! Ultimately it's your body and your decision and they understand that (I felt a lot more that it's the midwives who tend to push 'natural' on you rather than doctors) if you just say you don't really want to discuss previous birth and this is what you want for your birth am sure they will tick your boxes and be on your way! I know my apt slot was 1hr I was in and out in 35mins I knew what I wanted and was short and sweet with most discussions as didn't feel the need to go over everything.

I say this with a little experience in hospitals as my husband is a doctor and his best friend is an obs and gynae Registrar and if they have a quick easy appointment that makes them very happy! Haha

Hope this has eased you worry a little! I am a massive planner and like to know exactly what I am in for with all this stuff so I know how you feel!

Dinosauratemydaffodils Wed 07-Feb-18 17:16:46

@mummyG2C Thanks, that has helped. I have PTSD from something unrelated to childbirth which I thought I had mostly dealt with (or at least under control) until my son was born and managed to trigger a bunch of stuff so have a lot anxiety/stress around hospital appointments and was starting to get overwhelmed at the thought they would try and make me talk about what happened previously.

mummyG2C Wed 07-Feb-18 17:25:04

Don't worry at all if you don't want to just politely say I would rather not discuss it thank you. I am sure they will not kind and appreciate the honesty, some people find it helpful to talk through things like that especially if undecided about birthing options this time as gives them an indication as to what happened last time and chances and risks of birth options. It is not a pre requisite they will be more than happy to move on and discuss the other bits that's need doing in that apt. I literally haven't been back and hopefully won't have to go back to them and have had very little/no intervention during this pregnancy so am sure as long as everything remains on track there will be little need for you to have to put yourself through excess apt's and hospital involvement.

Hope it all goes well for you and good luck with the rest of your pregnancy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now