Talk

Advanced search

First Dr's appt?

(8 Posts)
brianodriscoll Wed 07-Feb-18 14:31:36

Hi all. I'm new to posting so hope I get the language right!

I got a BFP on Sunday and think I'm about 4 weeks pregnant. I have a dr's appt tomorrow but I'm really worried I'll get told off over my weight. I'm a size 16 but tall so have always been heavy if that makes sense?

I was doing well on a diet before this weekend and have lost 9lb but not sure if I can carry on with it now I'm pregnant?

Can anyone reassure me about tomorrow? Or agree with me so I can at least prepare myself...

Chaosofcalm Wed 07-Feb-18 14:37:15

Did you tell the receptionist you were pregnant? In our area your dont see the GP you just ring the receptionist and they give you a number to self refer to midwives.

I was size 16 when pregnant with my DD but my bmi was not high enough to increase my risk factor. If your bmi is high they should not judge you but you may need a higher dosage of folic acid and extra monitoring.

Chaosofcalm Wed 07-Feb-18 14:38:12

Speak to midwife about diet. Diets can be fine but it depends on what you are eating.

mindutopia Wed 07-Feb-18 15:08:47

I've never seen the dr in pregnancy (it's usual here to go straight to the midwife). But I wouldn't stress about your weight. I'm a size 16 (BMI of 30) and no one has been bothered about my weight in any of my pregnancies. I've always been low risk and had home births and all been perfectly straightforward.

TillyTheTiger Wed 07-Feb-18 15:14:37

I'm surprised they even gave you a doctors appointment, in my area you aren't seen until 10 weeks when you get the midwife booking-in appointment. At your booking-in appointment I expect they'll weigh you and work out your BMI, mine was 27 and my midwife said anything under 30 is totally fine. Congratulations!

ClareB83 Wed 07-Feb-18 15:14:47

If your BMI is under 30 they won't care. If it's over that the midwife will read you some unpleasant warnings about increased risks during pregnancy, you might have to do a glucose tolerance test and that's probably about it. No massive lectures.

Pittcuecothecookbook Wed 07-Feb-18 15:18:02

I'm a 14/16 and bmi of 30. Took extra folic acid and booked in for a gtt test at 28 weeks. No other issues however and midwives weren't bothered at all. If you are very tall (I'm 5ft5) likely your bmi will be in the 20s and you won't need the extra bits I did. That all starts at 30 bmi. Congrats on the pregnancy and well done on the weightloss

brianodriscoll Wed 07-Feb-18 16:55:18

Thanks all this has massively reassured me! I was really worried about it all.

I called the doctors and explained why I was calling and they booked me in with a dr. I assumed it would be a nurse appt!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now