Talk

Advanced search

Definitely pregnant, and very confused

(16 Posts)
JohnLapsleyParlabane Wed 07-Feb-18 13:15:40

We've been ttc number 2 for ages, but I'm old, breastfeeding, and I have cycles between 21 and 78 days long. After 18 months I went to my GP to ask for a referral. My last period began on 22nd December. I had a faint positive opk on 14th January, frequent sex and a BFP on 4th February. So I'm anywhere between 4 and 7 weeks pregnant.
My confusion is this. On 2nd February I had a transvaginal ultrasound as part of the fertility investigations. The result letter has arrived and makes no mention of a pregnancy. Surely they would have seen it? I've done about 6 tests and all have been positive, getting stronger by the day. Clearblue says 3+.
Anyone experienced similar?

DoneDisappeared Wed 07-Feb-18 13:20:18

My SIL had surgery around her reproductive organs - pregnancy test negative, they didn't see anything when they were down there and yet a little over a month later she finds out she is well into her second trimester!

Dorabean Wed 07-Feb-18 13:21:05

Hi. Could it be that at that time it was too early to see anything?

Oysterbabe Wed 07-Feb-18 13:21:13

I didn't think you could get faint positive OPKs? It was probably just too early to see anything.

DoneDisappeared Wed 07-Feb-18 13:21:15

Also, if a pregnancy is early enough even a transvaginal scan doesn't always pick things up.

Backenette Wed 07-Feb-18 13:21:19

So how pregnant would you have been at the scan? Let’s say you ovulated 15th and conceived 16th. Scan on 02 feb. So yes, there could well have been nothing visible at all.

Pregnancy tests are very accurate in terms of false positives - so something is producing hcg.

Assuming a conception date of 15th feb you’re possibly still not going to see anything on a scan. Wait until you are at least seven weeks by even your most pessimistic measure then go get an early scan?
And congratulations smile

kirinm Wed 07-Feb-18 13:25:38

Not unusual. I've previously been told that your HCG levels need to be close to 1500 to see anything on a scan and your levels wouldn't be that high by then.

JohnLapsleyParlabane Wed 07-Feb-18 13:33:00

Thanks folks. Am crazy excited already and having to have firm words with myself to calm down!
@Oysterbabe the opks I had said if the test line was fainter than the control line it wasn't positive. However I never had a stronger test line, just a few days of faint ones.

Bluebellysmell Wed 07-Feb-18 13:39:06

Not to put a damper on things OP but did the TV ultrasound include checking your tubes were clear, just to ensure it's not ectopic?

Girlwiththearabstrap Wed 07-Feb-18 16:24:22

If you're 4 weeks pregnant the chances are nothing would show on an internal scan.

zaalitje Wed 07-Feb-18 16:43:19

If lmp was 22 December though she should be 6 weeks. Something is usually visible then, fetal pole etc.

Girlwiththearabstrap Wed 07-Feb-18 16:57:32

She said she had irregular cycles so could be between 4 and 7 weeks. If it's closer to 4 it wouldn't be visible yet I guess.

JennyBLB Wed 07-Feb-18 21:02:53

I had a transvaginal ultrasound scan for suspected PCOS and they didn’t pick anything up. I found out a few weeks later that I was pregnant and that I definitely would have been at the time of the scan. I thought this was strange but it’s obviously quite common not to detect anything if it’s early pregnancy.

JohnLapsleyParlabane Wed 07-Feb-18 23:32:53

No mention of tubes in the TV ultrasound report. Just normal uterus, couldn't see ovaries due to bowel but no visible issues. Conclusion was NAD which I assumed meant no abnormalities detected. Presumably if it is ectopic they'd have seen something?!

Uk85 Thu 08-Feb-18 02:42:40

Hi

I’m having a same problem. I believe I’m 6 weeks pregnant. I’ve been bleeding/cramps since Friday. Passed golf sized ball clot + lots of small clots on Monday.

Had a virginal ultrasounds yesterday and they said they can’t find anything in the uterus. The only possibility is miscarriage or ectopic pregnancy. Is there any hope for me? Or should I accept that I’ve lost the baby?

JohnLapsleyParlabane Thu 08-Feb-18 08:24:24

Oh I'm sorry. I hope it all turns out well for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now