Talk

Advanced search

Induction

(15 Posts)
Mrstobe90 Wed 07-Feb-18 12:50:58

I have an appt with my midwife today and have been told that due to high bp, I may be offered an induction.

I have no idea whether to accept it or not and was wondering if anyone could tell me their experiences of induction?

I really want to be mobile during the labour

charlottexox Wed 07-Feb-18 14:51:33

Was induced at 39W+6D with DD due to 3 occasions of reduced moments.
Didn't need pessary as was already 2cm when I went in that morning.
Got settled into my room at 9am, had a cup of tea made by the lovely midwife that was on duty that morning. Talked me through the risks (e.g. More likely to get C/S) waters broke at 10am and then was put on hormone drip. Contractions started half an hour later, they kept cranking up drip to speed it up. Had gas and air then had pethadine at 3pm. Then couldn't cope with the pain any more sad so had epidural at 5pm (Be warned, induction for me was painful!!!!) got to 9cm at 11pm and DD was born on her due date an hour later at 12:28am, lovely set of lungs on her and now is a bouncy, cheeky, lovable 17 month old and now prg with baby #2! Good luck!!!!!flowers

Ihatemarmite123 Wed 07-Feb-18 17:37:12

I was induced at 36 weeks as the placenta was failing. It took 4 days to be able to break my waters, I was put on the drip and an hour later baby was born. My labour was very quick. It was intense but I had no pain relief. The worst was all the waiting round for something to happen. I'm now 17 weeks and will be having an induction at 38 weeks, I'm looking forward to it.

youcantalwaysgetwhatyouwantt Wed 07-Feb-18 17:53:01

I was induced with 2nd as I was overdue and induced early with no.3.

Not sure if it was because I was early with no.3 but it took 2 pessary's, 2nd one inserted at 6.30pm, contractions started hard and fast and baby was born 6 1/2 hours later.

Mrstobe90 Wed 07-Feb-18 19:24:34

They tried to do a sweep today but couldn't properly reach my cervix so they've booked me in for an induction this weekend.
I'll be 39 weeks and am worried it'll take days. Hoping it'll be quick!

Thanks for your stories. I guess I just want to know that other people have been through it and are ok xx

WorkingBling Wed 07-Feb-18 19:29:42

I have had two inductions, which were completely different so I won’t bother detailing them except to say one was quick and awful and one was slow and resulted in c section. But what I will say is that both times I was offered the induction for my safety and that of the the baby.... and she’s it turns out dd would definitely have been brain damaged if I had not been in hospital being monitored. No idea about ds as it was less clear.

My point is that if the midwife has concerns and thinks induction and the resultant monitoring is worth doing, I would take that very seriously.

BertieBotts Wed 07-Feb-18 19:30:42

I would have thought with high BP it's a case of needing induction rather than being offered it? Maybe ask about risk management instead of induction if you're worried.

Being active is a good goal, as it should help get things moving quickly, but it might be worth mentally preparing for other outcomes and being open to trying different forms of pain relief. You might not need them, of course, not everybody finds that induced labour is more intense, but some do.

Good luck! smile

KatnissK Wed 07-Feb-18 19:46:14

I was induced at 40+3 after passing meconium. My labour took ages on the drip and was painful - definitely think about whether you want an epidural. I didn't manage to stay active although tried as much as I could to begin with despite being hooked up to a million machines but by the end I was bed bound and pushed on my back with legs in stirrups. Also you can't eat when you are on the drip so make sure to eat a big, fortifying meal beforehand. If I had to be induced again I would definitely get an epidural.

youcantalwaysgetwhatyouwantt Wed 07-Feb-18 19:54:35

My cervix was too far back with both inductions.

Midwife said my cervix was still far back at 5cm?

Every labour and induction is different, if your able to get the pessary I would recommend going a walk around the hospital.

Good luck op.

DuggeeHugs Wed 07-Feb-18 20:08:27

I was induced at 39+2 due to high bp with DC1. I was admitted straight from clinic and kept in for the duration. The induction lasted until 40+0 before it had officially failed, as 1:10 do, and DS arrived by EMCS. The EMCS was fantastic and I wish I'd refused the induction.

Just remember that you can say no at any point.

Good luck smile

laura1306 Wed 07-Feb-18 20:21:05

Do any of you ladies know if you can use the birthing pool if you've been induced?

youcantalwaysgetwhatyouwantt Wed 07-Feb-18 20:34:33

I was offered both times Laura, unfortunately I couldn't get them in the end.

GrumpySusan Wed 07-Feb-18 20:48:26

I was induced at 39 weeks due to polyhydramnios. It was fine! I had first pessary and an uneventful day. Second pessary went in at 10am, contractions ramped up (as in couldn't talk easily through them) around 10pm. I had my waters broken & dilated quickly. I had the drip and diamorphine when I was fully dilated- wanted epidural but too late.
Ended up having forceps delivery but only cos DD turned her head at the crucial moment and I have an awkward pelvis.
For me it all sounded very scary and medicalised but it actually wasn't bad at all. I liked that I knew (roughly) when she was going to arrive and I was in the right place being looked after from the off. Good luck!

Mrstobe90 Wed 07-Feb-18 20:50:11

My bp has been consistently high but it's not pre eclampsia.
They said they were happy for me to go to 40 weeks but when they checked my notes, they saw that baby has had 3 episodes of reduced movements so said they'd induce this weekend.
I've been told I might be able to use the pool, depending on my bp on the day.
I'm really nervous about induction but I just want her here now!

gryffen Thu 08-Feb-18 00:22:22

Induced om the Friday by pessary in the labour ward, slept happily through night and had another in morning then bounces on ball til after dinner and taken to delivery room. Had waters broken then set up on saline drip and monitor and happily for to walk around room and bounce around until checks needed done and needed gas and air. Bounced some more and then was on knees, side, back etc until I delivered at 7.50am.

Your not chained to the bed, you can move about unless it's deemed dangerous and I had a monitor wire attached to baby scalp and I still wandered about.

Had a great experience and will again in August with #2

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now