Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Is this odd for a baby shower?

(8 Posts)
MiniMummy576 Wed 07-Feb-18 09:55:33

With my first pregnancy my two best friends organised a small surprise baby shower for me - just us and a couple other friends my DH recommended to invite - and we had afternoon cream tea in a little pub.
I hadn't planned to have a baby shower this time round, as it's the second baby, but again my best friends have very kindly started to organise one for me. They've asked me who I want to invite and what sort of thing I want to do.
Just for a bit of background:
Last time I didn't invite (via DH) any of my female relatives as I have a difficult relationship with my DM and she's a bit controlling. She was very excited to be a GM for the first time and unfortunately it meant she made everything about her, which I just didn't want at my baby shower.
This time round she's the complete opposite and doesn't really seem to care about the pregnancy/baby at all - so I think it's probably safe to invite her this time round! grin

So this time round I was thinking of suggesting to my friends that it just be the three of us, my DM, MIL and two grandmothers.
The other friends invited last time all now have more children, so their time is pretty full, and the friendship group has widened so I couldn't invite them without inviting the others and really don't want it to turn into a big 'thing'. Just to keep it small with my nearest and dearest - as it were - and go for a bit of tea and cake somewhere local.
If you were a friend invited to a baby shower like that would you think it was odd?

Chaosofcalm Wed 07-Feb-18 09:57:06

I thought baby showers were only for first babies? I would think it was odd to have a baby shower for a second child.

mindutopia Wed 07-Feb-18 10:39:08

I think that's fine. I think baby showers in the traditional sense are a bit odd to begin with - by that I mean baby themed games, etc. But I think having a tea with girl friends and family is a lovely idea. I wouldn't think it was odd to only invite a few people. It's your day after all and I'm sure they'd be happy to plan whatever you're comfortable with.

RosaBaby2 Wed 07-Feb-18 11:07:11

I think it’s fine. Baby showers can be for whatever number baby and you can have whoever you want there. I don’t think are rules smile

AnUtterIdiot Wed 07-Feb-18 11:49:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AnUtterIdiot Wed 07-Feb-18 11:51:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Buxbaum Wed 07-Feb-18 12:04:23

I think that sounds lovely. It isn’t really a shower so don’t call it that -
just a get-together before baby is born.

Passmethecakeplease Wed 07-Feb-18 14:10:17

FWIW, I've been to a few babyshowers for second babies, so I definitely don't think it's an odd thing to do.

At the end of the day it's really just a chance for you to see friends before your new baby arrives so do whatever you want to do and invite whoever you want to invite smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: