Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Maternity pads

(15 Posts)
cottagecheesecrumpets Wed 07-Feb-18 09:36:30

How many to stock up on?!
I bought 3 x packs of 10 yesterday from Boots which seem to have good reviews. Would I pack one or two of those in my hospital bag?
Shall I get another 3 to keep me going when we first get home?

Steeley113 Wed 07-Feb-18 09:39:42

Pack 2 in your hospital bag, if you run out they’ll give you some until you get some more. I’d say another 2-3 packs at home and then hopefully it’ll be light enough to move to ‘normal’ pads. Try not to buy anything scented or with the gels. You want simple, cotton type pads.

user1493413286 Wed 07-Feb-18 09:42:14

I’d also say 2 in your hospital bag and 2-3 at home. Once the bleeding got lighter I used sanitary towels then panty liners as the maternity pads are very bulky once you’re not losing as much blood.

Smellybears Wed 07-Feb-18 09:42:49

Hello!
I took two packs in my hospital bag but ended up staying in for three nights (completely unexpected!) and husband had to bring in another pack. I’ve ended up buying a few more packs once home, gave birth three weeks ago, used maternity pads at night for the last week and maxi sanitary towels daytime. Everyone is different as to how long they bleed for and how heavy. Personally I’d take at least two packs into hospital in case you have to stay in.

Smellybears Wed 07-Feb-18 09:43:29

Asda own brand ones are good! smile

PandaCat Wed 07-Feb-18 10:09:03

I've got two packs of tesco own, 20 to a pack, so I've got 40 atm. I'm taking one pack to the hospital with me.

I'm planning on getting more this week for the house. I bled for about 4-5 weeks with my first, I can't remember how heavy for how long though. I'll probably switch to normal rather than maternity pads when it's died down a bit.

Potteryprincess30 Wed 07-Feb-18 10:12:28

These are very good and completely natural

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00O7R7RXU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?psc=1&tag=mumsnetforum-21&ie=UTF8

Potteryprincess30 Wed 07-Feb-18 10:13:07

(NATRACARE Ultra Extra Pads Long)

mindutopia Wed 07-Feb-18 10:34:41

I really like the Boots ones and that's what I've got this time (they're also often on 3 for 2). I would take 2 packs with you. I was changing mine pretty much every time I used the toilet for the first couple days, so every few hours around the clock. I think 3-4 packs is fine and then maybe some normal pads as well. You can always send someone out to pick up more if you need them.

Bobbiepin Wed 07-Feb-18 10:38:04

Definitely take in 2 packs and have a couple more packs at home. For the first two days I had to change them almost every hour and DH had to bring in more. The hospital will provide if you need but I think things like that are not what NHS money should be spent on if you can afford to bring your own (for the same reason I took in my own paracetamol). I preferred the boots ones over any others, but if you don't want to stock up at home ask your DM or DMIL to bring when they come over if you need more.

AccrualIntentions Wed 07-Feb-18 10:40:50

I think I got through 4 packs in the end, but had bought 6. They're easy to pick up if you need more.

AccrualIntentions Wed 07-Feb-18 10:41:43

That was the Boots ones btw. I found them pretty comfy.

AnUtterIdiot Wed 07-Feb-18 11:57:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BroccoliOnTheFloor Wed 07-Feb-18 12:02:10

I think I used 1.5 packs and then moved to normal large pads. Those I used about a million packs.

I think a good estimate is that every week postpartum is like one da of period. So you have a week of super heavy first day type bleed, a week of heavy second day type bleed, a week of normal third day bleed, two weeks of light bleeding, and then maybe wear mini pads for another week out of paranoia.

This is just an eatimate of course.

cottagecheesecrumpets Wed 07-Feb-18 13:28:26

Great! Thank you all smile

They are on 3 for 2 at the moment so will grab another 3 when I'm passing and then just get more as and when/if needed.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: