Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Sertaline whilst pregnant

(9 Posts)
Erryn96 Wed 07-Feb-18 08:33:52

I'm 14 weeks pregnant and came off sertraline at 6 weeks pregnant. I was adamant I'd cope through pregnancy without the help of medication, but I've got so bad I've had to go back on, with the exception I only allow 50mg... I'm so scared of taking them just for the simple fact I don't want it to harm my baby. I've not read anywhere that says it has but I'm just wondering if any of you took sertaline and the baby had withdrawal symptoms? This worries me a lot. I'm so scared of anything bad happening to my baby and it being my fault. Sorry if I sound pathetic, I just want what's best for my baby 😔

CrabbyPatty Wed 07-Feb-18 08:48:51

Not pathetic at all. I'm on citalopram and pregnant. I'm not even trying to come off because I know I won't cope. Im waiting for a perinatal psychiatry appointment to discuss further. Can you ask your MW for a referral?

MirandaWest Wed 07-Feb-18 09:01:06

I took sertraline from 12 weeks pregnant with my DD until she was about 18 months. I breastfed her for about a year. The psychiatrist said that he felt breastfeeding was good as she would keep getting a small amount of it. Think I was on 100mg during my pregnancy

DD is 12 now and fine. If I hadn’t taken sertraline then she and I quite possibly wouldn’t have been fine so I am very glad I did.

WhoWants2Know Wed 07-Feb-18 09:13:13

Yep, Sertraline throughout my second pregnancy and breastfeeding. They did make me stay in for 24 hours after delivery for observation, but everything was fine.

Erryn96 Thu 08-Feb-18 09:28:17

Thank you so much everyone. Just worried about everyone's negative personal accounts, I've read a lot of people had babys with heart defects :/

thegreatbeyond Thu 08-Feb-18 09:33:22

100mg through my entire pregnancy. DS 16m was and is fine.

Take care of your mental health.

Ihatemarmite123 Thu 08-Feb-18 09:39:44

I don't think sertraline is associated with as many risks as other anti depressants. It's the first 12 weeks that are crucial. If you had a break from it from 6 weeks chances are there won't be a problem. Citalopram is associated with more defects but still the chances are tiny. I wouldn't worry too much about sertraline, citalopram I won't touch again

chaser90210 Thu 08-Feb-18 09:54:34

Sertraline is one of the best ones to be on during pregnancy and breastfeeding. I was on it during my last pregnancy and I'm on it again with this one, doctors and midwife not concerned at all.
They checked dd when she was born last time at hospital for withdrawal and she had none whatsoever and no side effects.
Please don't worry yourself, the chance of anything untoward happening are very very small they just have to say it in case someone sues them for misinformation.
You will cause your baby more harm by not being on it when you need to be and struggling with anxiety/depression episodes

Erryn96 Fri 09-Feb-18 08:37:00

I feel a lot better about taking them now, thank you so much. I feel better that I wasn't taking them in the first trimester. I'm 14+4 and on my 2nd day so I'm hopeful that in a few weeks I'll start to feel something. Happy mum, happy baby! smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: