Talk

Advanced search

Possible MC?? I don’t know what I’m doing

(8 Posts)
BastianBalthazarBux Tue 06-Feb-18 21:27:15

Hi everyone

Sorry in advance for the long post. So I’m nearly 40 and this is my first pregnancy. When I got my BFP in early January I called my GP surgery but the receptionist said that the doctor didn’t need to see me and gave me a midwife appointment for 12 feb. That was it, no information or anything which I was a bit surprised about. I booked an early private scan last weekend at what should have been 8 weeks. I hadn’t had any bleeding, just wanted to check everything was ok. I was really upset to find out when that the embryo was much smaller than expected, so small that they couldn’t tell if there was a heartbeat. They said it was possible that my dates were wrong (though I’m pretty sure of them ) and that I should come back in 2 weeks to see if there had been any growth. They gave me the number of the local EPU and said I should call there if there was any bleeding in the meantime. I’m really upset still and don’t know what I’m supposed to do. I called the GP again but they were a bit dismissive and said unless there was any bleeding I should just keep my booking appointment with the midwife as planned and rebook another private scan. But I’m worried the midwife will think I’m wasting her time doing a booking when the baby might not be viable and I don’t know at what stage they’ll refer me to the EPU if it turns out to be MMC. I feel so confused, I’m so sad that I might lose my baby and hate being in limbo like this sad sad Sorry again for the long post.

coastalchick Tue 06-Feb-18 21:58:49

Hey. Sorry to hear you are so worried. Your GP should have ordered bloods - I would push for them -ask for HCG and Progesterone - if the initial levels are low they should take them again 48 hours later to see if levels rising or falling.

chocolateorangeowls Tue 06-Feb-18 22:06:23

So sorry, exactly the same happened to me and it did turn out to be a MMC. I'd push to be seen by your GP or the EPU if I was you. Unfortunately my body didn't recognise my miscarriage and I had to have medical management because they were worried about infection.

Diana2018 Wed 07-Feb-18 07:11:30

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

mindutopia Wed 07-Feb-18 10:45:15

Your GP is right that you should be going only to your midwife. GPs don't really deal with pregnancy and they'll not be much help to you. I would call your midwife and talk to them about what they'd recommend you do. I was in the exact same situation in my previous pregnancy. I booked a private scan for 8 weeks, baby measured 5 weeks with no heartbeat. I was certain of my dates. Unfortunately, I'm sorry to say that the pregnancy ended in miscarriage. But my midwife was lovely. I called them up (I had a small amount of bleeding the day before the scan, which was purely coincidental timing, not why I booked the scan). They booked me in for a scan at the EPU the next day just to confirm what the private scan showed. I did need to wait a further week for a final scan to determine that baby definitely wasn't developing, but the midwives were all really helpful and supportive. I wouldn't just proceed with your booking without talking to them first. It's a lengthy appt and it wouldn't be something I'd want to go into without having had an initial conversation about what was going on. They may send you for an EPU appt right away anyway or they may be able to offer some advice. This isn't unusual and they are usually really good at offering advice, so I'd just talk with them.

AnUtterIdiot Wed 07-Feb-18 11:42:54

You won't be wasting the midwife's time, but I agree that you should have a chat with her first as it is a long appointment and it would be hard to do not knowing what was going on given what you've been told.

Fingers crossed your bean is fine, but if not I just wanted to add that I had a miscarriage at 40, got pregnant again at 41 and am typing this with a 9 week old snoring on my chest. If it is a miscarriage don't be disheartened. I used to say to myself that every pregnancy is different and there's no reason why the second one shouldn't turn out fine.

BastianBalthazarBux Wed 07-Feb-18 22:32:10

Thanks so much everyone for your advice. I’m a bit all over the place at the moment - one minute I’m thinking it’s definitely all over, the next a little bit of hope sneaks back in. I will try to get hold of the midwife tomorrow. I guess I’ll probably just have to be patient for a bit longer which I’m not very good at! grin

fidgetsmumx Thu 08-Feb-18 11:54:40

Where I am EPU won’t see you unless your bleeding. I’d say your best bet is to make another private scan for in a couple of weeks so you don’t go out of your mind.
As for wasting the midwifes time you will not be! So please don’t worry about that.
I hope things work out xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now