Talk

Advanced search

Cat litter...

(10 Posts)
somersetsoul Tue 06-Feb-18 20:52:22

Just found out I'm pg and have a 5mo kitten. It's only me who can scoop and change the litter. How do you do it? Wear gloves? I never knowingly touch anything and wash my hands twice!

I have read some people get rid of cats 😥 That's not an option.

ClareB83 Tue 06-Feb-18 20:55:55

Gloves will be fine.

zaalitje Tue 06-Feb-18 21:02:58

Gloves, hand-wash ing, and I have a pooper scooper for flicking cat poo into the loo.

Wolfiefan Tue 06-Feb-18 21:05:16

Gloves and hand wash.
Don't get rid of cat.

somersetsoul Tue 06-Feb-18 21:19:26

Thank you 😊 We definitely won't be getting rid of her. I'll get some gloves tomorrow.

thingymaboob Wed 07-Feb-18 06:10:59

If your kitten is an indoors cat and they eat tinned / dry food then there is no risk of toxoplasmosis (unless you have a rodent / mice problem) as cats get toxoplasmosis from eating infected mice / birds.

Passmethecakeplease Wed 07-Feb-18 06:20:29

Thingymaboob is correct. If your cat is an indoor cat they aren't a risk anyway as the risk comes from the raw meat/prey they've killed.

If you're worried though just poo gloves on and wash hands thorougherly.

Passmethecakeplease Wed 07-Feb-18 06:20:49

Pop gloves on*

Damnit

DwangelaForever Wed 07-Feb-18 06:32:34

Gloves! And id there's any chance of any accidents on floors I would constantly have your feet covered x

hotcookie Wed 07-Feb-18 07:48:27

As others have said if the kitten isn't hunting or eating raw meat then toxo isn't a risk. Even if they are, it takes a day or so for the oocysts to sporulate and become infectious-so cleaning the tray of fresh poo asap will be fine. I'm a vet and still do enemas on cats and clean litter trays. Obviously I wear gloves for the enemas and wash hands thoroughly afterwards grin However despite my job & the fact I love rare & cured meats, I had never been exposed to toxoplasmosis when I had a blood test

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now