Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Cat litter...

(10 Posts)
somersetsoul Tue 06-Feb-18 20:52:22

Just found out I'm pg and have a 5mo kitten. It's only me who can scoop and change the litter. How do you do it? Wear gloves? I never knowingly touch anything and wash my hands twice!

I have read some people get rid of cats 😥 That's not an option.

ClareB83 Tue 06-Feb-18 20:55:55

Gloves will be fine.

zaalitje Tue 06-Feb-18 21:02:58

Gloves, hand-wash ing, and I have a pooper scooper for flicking cat poo into the loo.

Wolfiefan Tue 06-Feb-18 21:05:16

Gloves and hand wash.
Don't get rid of cat.

somersetsoul Tue 06-Feb-18 21:19:26

Thank you 😊 We definitely won't be getting rid of her. I'll get some gloves tomorrow.

thingymaboob Wed 07-Feb-18 06:10:59

If your kitten is an indoors cat and they eat tinned / dry food then there is no risk of toxoplasmosis (unless you have a rodent / mice problem) as cats get toxoplasmosis from eating infected mice / birds.

Passmethecakeplease Wed 07-Feb-18 06:20:29

Thingymaboob is correct. If your cat is an indoor cat they aren't a risk anyway as the risk comes from the raw meat/prey they've killed.

If you're worried though just poo gloves on and wash hands thorougherly.

Passmethecakeplease Wed 07-Feb-18 06:20:49

Pop gloves on*

Damnit

DwangelaForever Wed 07-Feb-18 06:32:34

Gloves! And id there's any chance of any accidents on floors I would constantly have your feet covered x

hotcookie Wed 07-Feb-18 07:48:27

As others have said if the kitten isn't hunting or eating raw meat then toxo isn't a risk. Even if they are, it takes a day or so for the oocysts to sporulate and become infectious-so cleaning the tray of fresh poo asap will be fine. I'm a vet and still do enemas on cats and clean litter trays. Obviously I wear gloves for the enemas and wash hands thoroughly afterwards grin However despite my job & the fact I love rare & cured meats, I had never been exposed to toxoplasmosis when I had a blood test

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: