Talk

Advanced search

Toxoplasmosis?

(19 Posts)
AnnaLuna Tue 06-Feb-18 18:26:24

Hi guys. On Saturday I had a piece of medium rare steak, it was pink, but not bloody. Haven't been feeling great since Sunday, a bit of fever, muscle ache, stomach pain, just generally feeling awful. What could it be? Food poisoning? Have read online that you can detect toxoplasmosis in the blood after contracting it only in 3 weeks. Worried sick now. Anybody had similar experience?

KatharinaRosalie Tue 06-Feb-18 18:29:14

I have never heard toxo incubation period being shorter than 5 days. If you've been feeling odd since Sunday, you probably simply have a cold.

AnnaLuna Tue 06-Feb-18 18:32:01

KatharinaRosalie, thanks, I hope it's just another cold.
There is danger of listeria too from undercooked meat 🙈

ReggaetonLente Tue 06-Feb-18 18:37:20

How far along are you? I felt through as you describe throughout the entire first trimester.

I’m vegetarian so no expert but I think medium rare is fine. I know lots of women who ate steak medium rare when pregnant. A quick google says toxoplasmosis is very very rare in beef.

I think the risk of general food poisoning is also very low as long as the surfaces of the meat exposed to air have been seared.

Thelampshadelady Tue 06-Feb-18 18:38:16

I doubt it’s anything relating to the steak but I appreciate being pregnant makes everything seem poisonous grin
I tend to think of it like this, in the 30 years I’ve been alive have I ever had listeria/toxoplasmosis/salmonella? No, so why I am I more likely to get it now. Simple answer is I’m not. So try not to worry.

AnnaLuna Tue 06-Feb-18 18:39:17

ReggaetonLente, I am 10 weeks.
My husband ate the same meat and he is ok.

AnnaLuna Tue 06-Feb-18 18:41:57

Thelampshadelady, I hope so.
I don't even eat steaks like that normally 🙈

hopingandprayingthistime Tue 06-Feb-18 18:52:16

I have been trying to reassure myself that listeria and toxo are both VERY rare. Also I read somewhere (NHS I think) that it’s estimated that 1/3 - 1/2 of the population have already had toxo and are therefore immune xx

ReggaetonLente Tue 06-Feb-18 18:53:53

Agree with lamp, it’s vanishingly unlikely. 10 weeks was the peak of feeling rough for me! I bet it’s that. Try not to worry OP.

LucyMD Tue 06-Feb-18 21:11:55

I've been exactly the same with worry - had rare steak and steak tartare on holiday in Jan before realising I was pregnant and having a mild panic now!

Buxbaum Tue 06-Feb-18 21:20:55

I tend to think of it like this, in the 30 years I’ve been alive have I ever had listeria/toxoplasmosis/salmonella? No, so why I am I more likely to get it now. Simple answer is I’m not. So try not to worry.

Well, no - you’ve probably been exposed to those things before but unless you’ve previously had certain medical conditions then pregnancy is probably the first time that you have had a suppressed immune system, so if you’re exposed during pregnancy then you are more likely to contract them.

Nevertheless, pp are right that the chances are absolutely vanishingly rare. Quite a lot of people have toxo antibodies without ever knowing that they have been previously exposed. I believe it’s routine to check for them in the booking-in bloods in some countries.

OP, you most likely have a bit of a cold, probably exacerbated by a psychosomatic element because you are worrying. Try to get plenty of rest and get well soon.

AnnaLuna Wed 07-Feb-18 10:04:03

Well, no - you’ve probably been exposed to those things before but unless you’ve previously had certain medical conditions then pregnancy is probably the first time that you have had a suppressed immune system, so if you’re exposed during pregnancy then you are more likely to contract them.
Buxbaum, that what I have been thinking too 🙈
Will see how I feel and might request a blood test in a couple of weeks.

Steeley113 Wed 07-Feb-18 10:12:58

Sounds like normal pregnancy symptoms to me!

Buxbaum Wed 07-Feb-18 11:21:57

Please don’t worry, OP. The chances really are very tiny. If you had done this ten years ago then you probably wouldn’t have given it a second thought, as the advice then was that rare meat was safe if sealed on all sides.

AnUtterIdiot Wed 07-Feb-18 11:28:08

I actually wouldn't have the blood test to be honest. It won't really tell you anything. If you have the antibodies that could mean that you were always immune or it could mean that you got them as a result of something you've eaten since getting pregnant so it won't reassure you one way or the other. The likelihood of you having toxo is vanishingly small even with a slightly suppressed immune system and if you do have it at this stage that doesn't mean the baby would get it and if the baby did that doesn't mean the baby would be harmed long term.

I really sympathise as I worried all the way through my pregnancy and really really missed proper rare steak, but there's no way of excluding it - you could get it from earth or from salad or from steak or from sheep or cat poo, but it's so incredibly unlikely (the NHS would offer a test for it if it was a serious risk) and it's just not possible to avoid every potential source of it even if you just stayed in for 9 months. Just be sensible and accept that you're doing everything you can smile.

LucyMD Wed 07-Feb-18 11:31:46

Thank you! Its such a worrying time isn't it! So scared of doing something wrong!

KatharinaRosalie Wed 07-Feb-18 12:37:28

They can tell from antibodes if it's a recent infection or not. I'm in France and they test all women first thing they're pregnant and then every month if you're not immune.

hopingandprayingthistime Wed 07-Feb-18 12:43:18

Not to add in additional worries but as I understand it the far more serious infection to be more worried about in pregnancy is Listeria?

user1499786242 Wed 07-Feb-18 13:03:20

I soooo understand your concern
My partner often cooks steak and always does it pink for me usually (when not preg)
The other day I asked him to re fry the steak as I was panicking! But I did eat a few mouthfuls before I realised how rare it was.. then I noticed the blood on the plate
Cue proper anxiety in my head all whilst trying to be polite! I also forgot to wash a piece of fruit the other day and completely freaked out!

Not much advice but like the other posters have said the risks are so slim!
Try to relax and if the anxiety is too much then speak to your midwife, that is what I plan on doing at my next appointment as I really am more anxious than I should be... about everything 😩

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now