Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Would you tell midwife you have done early scan elsewhere?

(26 Posts)
pessoa Tue 06-Feb-18 18:11:07

Hi

As title. I am seeing my midwife tomorrow. I have read some stories about midwife could be funny if you done private scan and could cancel your 12th week scan.

But to me I don't want to lie. I want to be honest and feel like I can be honest about everything to the midwife. I'm thinking if she is funny about it I want a different midwife..don't know how easy would be.

What did /would you Do?

SandysMam Tue 06-Feb-18 18:12:25

This is a non problem. Your midwife won’t care. Good luck with your baby, try to relax and enjoy your pregnancy!

IWannaSeeHowItEnds Tue 06-Feb-18 18:14:00

I wouldn't if there was a chance the 12 week one could be cancelled. That is an important scan.
Honesty with the midwife about health conditions is important, but beyond that your life is your own business and you are not obliged to tell her anything which has no impact on the care you need.

mintbiscuit Tue 06-Feb-18 18:14:07

Wasn't a problem for me. I still got my 12 week scan

zaalitje Tue 06-Feb-18 18:17:01

They wouldn't cancel the 12 week scan they need info from it - dating etc.
Also it's the scan where they check the trisomy disorders.

I've told midwife when I've had private and she didn't care.

ClareB83 Tue 06-Feb-18 18:17:21

I don't think she'll even ask.

Saz626 Tue 06-Feb-18 18:17:58

I told my midwife about being scanned at epu and it made no difference to my 12 week scan. She just made a note of it and the estimated dates they'd given me early on.

BrutusMcDogface Tue 06-Feb-18 18:18:01

That can't be true, of course the 12 week scan won't be cancelled. It's the one they measure Michal translucency and check for trisomies. Surely the NHS would want that scan for their own records, too, assuming you're planning on giving birth on the NHS.

I had two private scans for two of my pregnancies and midwives were fine, happy even!

BrutusMcDogface Tue 06-Feb-18 18:18:26

I'm having the harmony test privately but still getting an NHS 20 week scan.

Saz626 Tue 06-Feb-18 18:19:01

It also doesn't ring very true. The checks they have to do at the 12 week scan, surely they wouldn't cancel that.

BrutusMcDogface Tue 06-Feb-18 18:19:14

Fucking autocorrect!! I changed Michal to nuchal three fucking times!!

pessoa Tue 06-Feb-18 18:24:15

Thanks all for your opinion.

I feel more comfortable of telling her now. The reason is she thinks I'm 7th week pregnancy base on my guess ( my irregular period) but I'm actually 9th week now.

I drank a lot of alcohol (same as my husband) during that time ( christmas) and after I drank weekly. I was really worried and its my first one. I really want to do combined test so when I read some women shared their experience I was really worried...

idontlikealdi Tue 06-Feb-18 18:25:04

They won't cancel the scan, the midwife won't care that you had an early scan.

LoveB Tue 06-Feb-18 18:26:26

I had a private 8 week scan and the midwife didn't care! They need to do a 12 week scan, they won't cancel it

CrabbyPatty Tue 06-Feb-18 18:26:54

I was the opposite my private scan said I was 2 weeks earlier than my LMP indicated. The MW still went off the LMP for my due date, but she wasn't funny about it.

AnotherDunroamin Tue 06-Feb-18 18:28:17

The purpose of the 12/40 scan is not just ti confirm the heartbeat but to to measure the length of the baby to calculate the due date, and to measure the nuchal fold (skin at the back of the baby's neck), nasal bone etc to screen for Downs Syndrome if you want to have this done. These measurements are most accurate around 12-14 weeks so they can't have been done at an early scan. I should think any midwife who cancelled your 12/40 scan because you'd had an early one would be hauled over the coals for it.

coffeeforone Tue 06-Feb-18 18:28:18

I don’t think it’s true that they can cancel your nuchal scan...that sounds very wrong

Grumpyoldwoman007 Tue 06-Feb-18 18:29:11

Midwife here. We honestly don't care if you have a private scan before you see us. The on,y circumstances where a 12 week scan might not be necessary is if you had already had an emergency nhs scan where they were able to do screening tests for the baby so second scan not needed.

SurreyMay Tue 06-Feb-18 18:32:25

I had a couple of private scans. The NHS still need to do their checks at 12 and 20 weeks for their own records. I didn’t mention my private scans but the NHS scans are for medical reasons whereas the private scans were for my personal reassurance.

Loosemoose28 Tue 06-Feb-18 18:38:21

The 12 week scan is part of the national antenatal screening requirements. Even if YOU have chosen not to have it there will be documentation thats says you declined it and that it was offered.

No midwife would cancel your 12 week or 20 week scan unless you have chosen to decline it x

Buxbaum Tue 06-Feb-18 18:42:00

Are you aware that the combined test doesn’t screen for anything alcohol-related?

hopingandprayingthistime Tue 06-Feb-18 18:48:57

My midwife didn’t care that I’d had an early scan. I told her I’d opted for private Harmony testing and she just advised me to cancel my screening bloods as Harmony is more accurate than the NHS testing. My 12 week scan is still going ahead. She wasn’t funny with me at all - she was very nice to me.

AndhowcouldIeverrefuse Tue 06-Feb-18 19:08:25

My midwife was funny and unpleasant with me when I told her - but she was an incompetent idiot anyway. Our are doesn't do nuchal scans.

Juststrugglingabit Tue 06-Feb-18 19:28:44

I had a private 12 week scan with the screening and everything and still had my nhs one! The sonographer, midwife and consultant all checked that I'd had all the screening tests I wanted, but there was no problem over it at all. They were very nice about it actually.

mindutopia Tue 06-Feb-18 21:06:40

Yes, definitely, they really won't care (and no, they can't cancel your appt, it would completely screw everything up for them to not do the assessments and measurements they do at the 12 week scan). I've had private scans in my last 2 pregnancies at 7-8 weeks (and I've had an early scan at the EPU for various reasons in all 3 around the same time). If anything the midwives were pleased I'd sought out reassurance when I needed it and they put my private scan report in my notes. I had my 12 week scans as normal.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: