Talk

Advanced search

Headaches

(11 Posts)
lilliannrose Mon 05-Feb-18 12:22:10

Hi ladies, I am 19+5 and been plagued with tension type headaches. It's not constant but it's annoying. Anyone else experience the same thing? Really getting me down.

littlecabbage Mon 05-Feb-18 12:24:08

I am 18w and been having a similar thing, but put it down to having a constant mild cold at the mo. Do check with your midwife as can be a sign of pre-eclampsia, although I think it usually occurs later in pregnancy.

lilliannrose Mon 05-Feb-18 12:49:17

@littlecabbage hi there, yesh I did check with my midwife although she didn't seem to worried as have been probably at work which she thought was cause. It's not like I am dehydrated either.

jellycrumble Mon 05-Feb-18 16:12:39

I'm having the same issue, they're bloody horrible! Had a constant headache since Friday. Had my 20 week scan today and as I'm at risk for PE anyway they took my BP and checked my wee but all fine - the consultant said just to take paracetamol every 6 hours (up to 8 tablets a day), to drink plenty of fluid all the time, get lots of rest and get my eyes tested (as vision changes can happen in pregnancy resulting in headaches)

I find those microwaveable wheat bags lovely on my head too.

If no better in a week I have to call back. I totally sympathise! Hope you feel better soon

happymummy12345 Mon 05-Feb-18 16:14:16

I sympathise, I suffer with headaches all the time, so I expected it. It's really not nice at all.
I hope you feel better soon.

0310Star Mon 05-Feb-18 16:22:10

I'm currently suffering with headaches (17weeks tomorrow) but I'm 95% sure mine is due to my eye sight changing during the pregnancy. I wear glasses anyway but sitting in front of a computer at work is my main issue with tension headaches behind my eyes so I'm certain it's my eyes and midwife thinks I should have them tested too.
May be something to consider?
Paracetamol doesn't even touch mine either, only way to get rid is a good long sleep!!

lilliannrose Mon 05-Feb-18 17:27:34

Thanks for all the replies ladies. I have decided to go docs just to check everything is ok and nothing sinister going on. I do wear glasses but only for computer work although did find they helped when i wore them just in general so just might have to. Paracetamol doesn't even touch me, hopeless stuff. The only thing that actually worked was ibuprofen but unfortunately can't have that at the mo.

0310Star Tue 06-Feb-18 21:05:17

Just something that may help, I had a really bad head again yesterday so today I popped to the chemist to see if there is anything I can use to help. I got some of the 4head roll that you put on your forehead and it really does help!
Perfectly safe in pregnancy too, I checked with the pharmacist!

lilliannrose Wed 07-Feb-18 17:07:59

@0310Star ah that's great! Used to use forehead before and it really worked.

dinksandbinks Wed 07-Feb-18 17:12:37

I get these, they’re hideous. I literally can’t do anything when I get them. Usually I have them just before my period for a couple of days, but have had them almost constantly in pregnancy. I think mine are hormonal.

Like you, I find paracetamol useless. 4head is good for work but makes my eyes water. At home I tried one of those microwave wheat bags another poster suggested and that was really helpful. I’ve also started seeing a chiropractor and that has been really good for neck and back pain, and coincidentally my headaches have been better too, but it could just be luck.

I hope you feel better soon!

Sunshinegirl82 Wed 07-Feb-18 19:47:42

Headaches are apparently really common before 20 weeks, I had loads of them and they lasted days at a time. I took paracetamol, used the 4head and tried those cooling migraine sticky head pads which helped a bit. I used the wheat bag on the back of my neck too.

The other thing which really helped was having some caffeine! It does something to the blood vessels apparently, particularly effective if you have the caffeine at the same time as the paracetamol. Mine did pass by about 20 weeks so fingers crossed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now