Talk

Advanced search

Is it ok to make up bottles this way?

(106 Posts)
owltrousers Mon 05-Feb-18 10:54:25

Boil water, pour desired amount into sterilised bottles, allow to cool to room temperature. Add formula as and when a feed is needed. Shake, feed baby?

gamerpigeon Mon 05-Feb-18 10:55:34

No, the formula needs to go into the water when it's still hot to kill off the bacteria.

NoNoCharlieRascal Mon 05-Feb-18 10:56:34

Formula should be added to hot boiled water to kill bacteria in the formula.

You can then rapid cool the bottles and store in the back of the fridge until needed.

LinkyPlease Mon 05-Feb-18 11:12:51

Just to be devil's advocate, no one I know makes formula up as detailed above, ie like you're supposed to. They all just chuck powder into tepid water. I've given up looking worried or surprised now.

How dangerous is it?

foxmuldersufo Mon 05-Feb-18 11:15:06

Depends on the formula @linkyplease

My baby is on a dairy free prescription milk that has to be added to tepid water as the boiling water kills the probiotic.
But standard shop bought formula should be added to boiling water and adding it to tepid water could cause stomach upset

LinkyPlease Mon 05-Feb-18 11:19:05

One of the people in thinking of uses Wysoy, would that count as needing boiling or tepid? I'd feel a lot happier knowing these parents were doing it correctly

pastabest Mon 05-Feb-18 11:20:10

No, boiling it isn't to sterilise the water it's to kill any bugs in the formula so the hot water needs to hit the formula.

What you could do is cool a load of boiled water (although I just used cold water straight from the tap as I didn't start formula feeding until 5 months anyway) and add it after you have put a shot of boiling water in with the formula to cool it down once you have killed the bugs.

Ciderandskatesdontmix Mon 05-Feb-18 11:21:43

I make mine as I need them by adding the powder to a few ounces of boiled water and then topping up with cooled boiled water to make it drinking temperature.

ChocolateButton15 Mon 05-Feb-18 11:25:10

I used to make 6 bottles up at a time with boiling water. Cooled them quickly in cold water bath in the sink, put in fridge and reheated/used within 12 hours. This time I've just bought a perfect prep machine! They've just bought a new one out so the old style will probably go down in price now.

owltrousers Mon 05-Feb-18 22:22:15

But does the perfect prep machine kill the bugs in the formula?

ijustwannadance Mon 05-Feb-18 22:32:53

There has been hype about the pprep machines not getting hot enough.

I've just had my baby and was told they are not recommended.

The formula boxes say to boil kettle and use between 20-30 mins later so water is still above 70°. We just use boiling water then cool bottle quickly under cold tap.
They won't say to use boiling water as there have been idiots who have burnt their baby as formula too hot.

The ready made liquid formula is sterile and can be given at room temp. The little bottles are perfect if you are out for the day.

AnUtterIdiot Mon 05-Feb-18 23:00:59

That's not why you don't use boiling water. The proteins in the milk are damaged if you use water at or close to boiling temp and the milk becomes less nutritious. 70 degrees is high enough to kill the most likely culprits in the formula. That's why they say to use water from a litre boiled 30 mins previously. But to be perfectly honest so many people do so many different things (in the US they just wash the stuff in the top rack of a dishwasher and that's nowhere near even 70 degrees) that I really don't think it can matter that much as long as you're reasonably hygienic!

AnUtterIdiot Mon 05-Feb-18 23:02:08

We use ready made because my daughter gets constipated on the powdered stuff so we don't have to think about any of that (costs a bomb though).

AnUtterIdiot Mon 05-Feb-18 23:04:28

So the bottle needs to be sterilised in boiling water or steam, and the formula needs to be made with water heated to 70 degrees. The perfect prep machine as I understand it supposedly sterilises each bottle with a shot of steam and then adds the measured formula to water heated to 70 degrees. But my midwife also said that the NHS doesn't recommend the perfect prep machine because they haven't proved to the NHS satisfaction that it produces a properly sterilised feed. No idea why.

MacTweedy Mon 05-Feb-18 23:09:58

Pretty sure the perfect prep isn't a replacement for sterilising; that could be pretty dangerous advice.

flumpybear Mon 05-Feb-18 23:14:31

I used to

Boil water and store in fridge
Boil fresh water in kettle
Add 2/3 required amount to bottle
Addd full scoops necessary for the full bottle
Shake
Top up with cooked boiled water
Feed
Done

ObiJuanKenobi Mon 05-Feb-18 23:15:23

I used to add the formula and 1/3 boiling water and then shake it up and then add 2/3 cold water after 5mins.

I used to make up 6 at a time and then keep them in the fridge but we had prem twins and they were fed every 2 hours and I was pretty unwell after so had to do what helped us cope with it all (save time/trips downstairs).

ThoughACandleBurnsNoOnesHome Mon 05-Feb-18 23:17:19

Sorry AnUtterIdiot but that's absolute rubbish! The instructions for making a bottle say to leave the water no more that 30 minutes because if the water is below 70 degrees it will not kill off any bacteria. There is nothing wrong with making the bottle with freshly boiled water and cooling it. It does not kill the nutrients ffs

MacTweedy Mon 05-Feb-18 23:24:14

The only issue with adding the cooled water to the small amount of boiling water and formula is that the formula expands the volume of the hot liquid so you may not add enough cooled boiled water, iyswim??

suzy2b Mon 05-Feb-18 23:55:57

My daughter used a prep machine for her last baby now 3 thought it was brilliant no warming up in the night bottle ready really quick and right temperature

AnUtterIdiot Mon 05-Feb-18 23:56:11

ThoughACandle That's what I was told by my GP and since some vitamins and proteins are damaged by high temps it makes sense to me. I doubt the advice is to avoid scalding as water doesn't need to be boiling to scald - 70 degrees is certainly hot enough to burn a baby's mouth.

AnUtterIdiot Tue 06-Feb-18 00:06:35

Also, it should be possible to discuss this without being rude to each other.

IsItSummerYet2018 Tue 06-Feb-18 00:37:38

With my DS now a teen.
I used to shudders

Boil water
Leave to cool a bit
Add formula
Run under tap to cool down
Put made bottles in fridge (3 at a time )

Then... Microwave them..
My mum had done the same way.. So i guess I just did the same

One HV went mad.
The next said.. That's fine as long as you shake the bottle so no hot spots.

My son was never ever ill.

Altho this time round I wouldn't do that way..

LondonLassInTheCountry Tue 06-Feb-18 00:45:12

Depends on the formula

But most guidelines are to use boiled water with the formula, so the bacteria is killed and use within an hour or two.

Not recommended to be put in fridge, stored made up

AnUtterIdiot Tue 06-Feb-18 00:49:55

I mean, babies seem to thrive no matter how it's prepared

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now