Talk

Advanced search

Any recent experience with the John Radcliffe maternity in oxford?

(19 Posts)
readysetcake Mon 05-Feb-18 10:40:44

Due in May. I live in Banbury and gave birth at the Horton hospital last time and it was brilliant. It has now been down graded to a midwife unit only (no Obstetric Doctors on site) and any complications in birth you need to be transferred to the JR. This can take an hour if it’s in the middle of the day, even if you are blue lighted sad, which quite frankly scares the shit out of me. I.e what if I heamorage after birth, baby gets stuck and needs to get out quickly or a million other things that can go wrong at the last minute in labour. I know midwives are cautious and any sign of trouble early they would send you off. But it’s the last minute emergencies and the transfer time that scare me. So perhaps I should just cut my losses and go straight to the Jr when I’m in labour. They do have a midwife unit on site but I’ve heard you can never get in it as it’s so busy and also heard a couple horror stories of friends who gave birth a few years ago. Lack of space and midwife care due to sheer numbers of women in labour going. (The area the hospital now serves is huge) I’m starting to feel anxious about it already.

So anyone given birth there recently or know someone that has? If it’s really bad I’ll look to give birth out of county. (I’ve posted this in pregnancy and childbirth to get as many responses as I can).

talulahbelle Mon 05-Feb-18 10:42:43

I had a section there and can’t fault the care I was given. Slightly different as I was never expecting to use the midwife unit though.

readysetcake Mon 05-Feb-18 11:26:36

Thank you talulah to be fair I’ve never heard anything bad about the staff just lack of space meaning a bad experience.

midgetem Mon 05-Feb-18 11:31:47

I had a planned section at JR end of last year. I loved everything about it. The staff were brilliant and the private room I had was lovely and big.

Juststrugglingabit Mon 05-Feb-18 12:53:53

I had a complicated pregnancy and very early delivery with them in 2015 and found it dreadful, tbh. I had to be seen in triage a lot of times and the waiting times were very long (I was in chairs for 14 hours once). There were issues with my care too, which I would rather not go into as I think it is very difficult to be balanced. I would say that the difference between how I was treated at the JR and how I am now treated (another difficult pregnancy) elsewhere is very different. More than one MW said that they felt they were letting the women down at times. My consultant did apologise for the way that I was treated and I hope that my case was unusual.

I should say that my pregnancy was very difficult and I have mental health issues that they were not remotely equipped to deal with (anxiety and PTSD) and they were obviously amazingly busy at that time. I do not feel that this was any excuse, but if things are different for you, you might be absolutely fine there. As have many people I know.

Juststrugglingabit Mon 05-Feb-18 12:57:56

Just to add - the waiting times there were not the worst of it for me. I get that plenty of people have to wait, it just seemed very bad, especially in comparison to my current hospital.

I should also say that when my baby arrived very early, the neonatal team were absolutely outstanding. My baby received amazing care and if I was in that position again, I would not hesitate to go back.

CL1982 Mon 05-Feb-18 13:17:09

I'll be going there in a few weeks! Happy to pass on experiences smile I have been very happy with it so far if that helps? Excellent care!

readysetcake Mon 05-Feb-18 20:48:08

@Juststrugglingabit I’m so sorry you had a tough pregnancy and birth flowers thank You for sharing your experience and I hope you’ve been able to start to move on and get help for you PTSD.

@CL1982 thanks for sharing! it would be great if you could report back and share your birth story. All the best and I hope the last few weeks take it easy on you and you get to put your feet up flowersbrew

Jinglesplodge Mon 05-Feb-18 22:59:32

I'm there now! With the exception of one incredibly grumpy midwife I've had nothing but fantastic care. Maybe you have to be lucky and give birth in a quiet week but I was very well looked after throughout my birth and they dealt brilliantly with what turned into a labour with massive complications in the final stage.

Right now I'm recovering on the 5th floor and all the staff have been friendly and professional. This is the second baby I've had here and I'm having no more (!) but if I did it would be here again without question.

Good luck!

readysetcake Tue 06-Feb-18 06:37:04

Congratulations jinglesplodge! I’m so glad you’ve experience good care there. Hope your recovery is swift. Thanks for sharing and enjoy those lovely newborn cuddles !

couldnteatawholeone Thu 08-Feb-18 19:31:05

Following your post as also due end of May and hoping to go to their MW led unit but that doesnt work out.....I guess I might meet u upstairs!!

user1485196412 Thu 08-Feb-18 19:38:37

Could you go to Warwick hospital maybe?

NapYearStudent Thu 08-Feb-18 19:45:41

I gave birth there and it was dreadful. I had interventions I didn't need, it was so busy there was no space on L&D, some of the midwives I had shouldn't be let near a birthing donkey never mind a woman. They managed to lose my notes which was especially worrying as I was a high risk complicated case. I was left property traumatised by it all. So no, I wouldn't!

LittleFox01 Thu 08-Feb-18 20:25:29

@readysetcake , I have no experience of giving birth there, but I am also due to have my baby beginning of May there. I have had consultant appointments and extra care there through this pregnancy and they have all been amazing. Hopefully giving birth will be an amazing experience too! Xx

BingumyThob Thu 08-Feb-18 20:57:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

readysetcake Fri 09-Feb-18 08:01:10

@couldnteatawholeone and @Littlefox01 I may well be pushing along side you come May! I’ve heard lovely things about the care leading up to birth but the stories of under pressure midwives and lack of space during labour itself do worry me. I think stories like @NapYeartStudent are becoming more common as the hospital is put under increased pressure from the sheer number of women going there to birth. I was totally spoilt with my first, it was amazing, and the natural pessimist and worrier in me says it can only go down hill from there. And it is being compounded by the changes in my local hospital forcing me to the JR.
I can go to Warwick, but a user on my other thread said maternity services there are in need of improvement after the last quality care commission report. So that doesn’t fill me with confidence either sad I’m seriously tempted to move home with my Mum for the last month and give birth at the hospital I was born at, as it’s meant to be brilliant. Thank You so much for all your feedback smile

CL1982 Fri 09-Feb-18 17:55:25

@NapYearStudent when was this please? That's very concerning. Did you complain afterwards? What did they say?

NapYearStudent Sat 10-Feb-18 11:32:19

It was just over a year ago. I should have complained but I was so upset I didn't and now I feel like it's too late. So ask how long you get to push if you go there. They didn't tell me until near the end that I only had 1.5 hours! Baby and I weren't in distress and he was progressing down nicely despite the absolute chaos around me (stuck on my back and the transfusion pump on the epidural quit!). I had an episiotomy and forceps in the end for no good reason. Baby was damaged quite badly....it was awful. Sorry OP I wish you all the best.

readysetcake Sat 10-Feb-18 15:00:55

Oh @NapYearStudent that sounds horrific sad I hope you and your little one physically recovered quickly. Sounds like the psychological effects will take more time. I would still complain if you want to, I don’t think it’s too late. Especially as it can take time for you to sort things in your head. Especially when focusing on a newborn. I’ve read threads on MN when people have raised concerns and had post birth meetings a year or two after the event. You’re well within your rights. flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now