Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Not sure whether to be hopeful or not :( 5 weeks pregnant

(36 Posts)
Chris1989 Fri 02-Feb-18 10:26:16

Hi everyone, sorry I've posted loads here recently - I'm a mess! So I found out I was pregnant on the 23rd of January and I couldn't have been happier smile I had my LMP on the 24th of December, and I think I ovulated around the 8th of January. I thought AF was coming on the 19th as I had some brown/pink spotting once when I wiped, but after that I had nothing. Once I found out I chalked it up to implantation bleeding - althoug I guess that would make it around 11dpo (bit late?). But anyway, I've been kind of winding myself up with ClearBlue Digital tests to be honest since then. I haven't gone on to '2-3 weeks' yet, I've only been on 1-2 weeks sad I haven't tested for a few days though as I'm so scared!

2 days ago I started having very light pink spotting. It then turned into a browny mucus, but it was only ever when I wiped really and was never enough for a pad. I did once have a very small red bit of blood, but that was it. It all started after straining for a bowel movement to be honest, and I noticed it'd usually come against when I next had one (I'm having lots of BM's in this pregnancy!), so I did wonder whether it was me straining. Yesterday I had no spotting at all until the evening when I had a tiny about of pink mucus again. This morning I've again had nothing which I'm hoping is good!

The reason I'm scared is because back in August, I had an ectopic pregnancy which presented with lots of spotting/bleeding, and was treated with MTX. I can't remember much about what the spotting was like but I know it never stopped, it was pretty much all day every day, and it was a mostly reddy brown. With that as well my hCG wasn't quite doubling in the timeframe expected too. So I'm terrified that I might be having another ectopic, given I was still getting 1-2 weeks on the ClearBlue sad

Do you think it's a good sign that spotting has stopped? I'm having no pain but tbh I didn't have any in my ectopic either. I'm also concerned about the pregnancy tests too, but then seeing as I implanted late I wonder if that's having any effect on it? I've even heard that ectopics tend to implant earlier and don't give implantation bleeding, but I don't want to get my hopes up sad I'm due for a scan on Wednesday, I've tried going to the EPU to get seen earlier but because the spotting is so minor and has stopped they're not concerned.

itallhappensforareason Fri 02-Feb-18 12:04:09

Stop testing! The weeks indicator isn't always accurate and won't always give you the dates you are expecting. I understand why you are worried and nervous but you're not doing yourself any favours by continually testing. Don't test again until your scan on Wednesday - fingers crossed everything is ok and gives you some peace of mind.

I spotted for about 4 days which was only noticeable when I wiped (before I knew I was pregnant), which was the same week that I was due on my period. It was really unlike me so after some research I discovered it may have been implantation bleeding. I got an early PG test which came back negative. I then started to bleed more heavily, so much so that I thought it was my period, so I put the whole thing to bed. Turns out I was actually pregnant at that time. I had a scan yesterday and there is indeed a baby in there and it's looking healthy. So bleeding doesn't always mean bad news. I think whilst it is not "normal" it is certainly not uncommon and lots of women seem to experience different types of bleeding during pregnancy and go on to have happy healthy babies.

Try not to worry x

Chris1989 Fri 02-Feb-18 13:17:29

Thanks u smile I'm definitely going to try stop testing!

Last night and this morning I have had some mild cramping too, it comes and goes but is not too bad at all, almost feels like period pain. I know it can also mean miscarriage but I'm staying hopeful! And to be honest a miscarriage would be easier than another ectopic sad I'm hoping the fact I'm having the pain in my uterus area means it's there anyway!

itallhappensforareason Fri 02-Feb-18 13:32:43

I had the normal period like pain whilst I was bleeding too and that clearly turned out to be nothing at all. I've since kept having that kind of dull aching feeling like when you're just about to come on your period.

Chris1989 Fri 02-Feb-18 14:41:34

That's the same sort of thing I'm having so I'm really hoping the same! I'm just so nervous because of my last ectopic sad but so far any spotting has been nowhere near the level I had so I'm going to try and be hopeful.

ThorsMistress Fri 02-Feb-18 17:40:09

I’ve posted on this board so many times about spotting and cramping so I know how worrying it is.

I had an early scan yesterday and baby is fine, saw it’s little heart fluttering and cried with relief!

I know it’s hard not to worry I really do

trippingoverrainbows Fri 02-Feb-18 21:25:31

Hi @Chris1989 I could have written this post myself, I have exactly the same symptoms. I am also trying not to worry but it is such a scary time.

Chris1989 Sat 03-Feb-18 11:20:08

Thanks both 😊 really hope things go well for you trippingoverrainbows - do you still have spotting?

I caved in and took a First Response year again this morning as I haven’t had many symptoms the last few days, and I was happy to see the line just as dark as the control line 😊 hoping that’s a good sign, now will not be testing again so it’s a wait until Wednesday!

trippingoverrainbows Sat 03-Feb-18 16:03:26

@Chris1989 I now have what you describe as a bit of mucus that is browny in colour as any dull aches/cramps have gone. I never had any bad pains or bright red blood so I'm praying all is still well.

I had much of the same symptoms as you. I came off the pill on 20th Dec and had what I thought was a period on 16th jan but it was super light and only lasted 2 days. I went out for dinner Tuesday last week and afterwards felt a bit dodgy so took a test and it was a very clear positive. Since Thursday I've had spotting. Have the docs on Thursday so hope they may refer me for an early scan as couldn't bare to wait to 12 weeks!

Are you going to try and get an early scan too?

trippingoverrainbows Sat 03-Feb-18 16:05:23

Sorry I've misread, you're actually getting the scan this week. My fingers are crossed for you. Do you know how far gone you are?

RestlessLegKick Sat 03-Feb-18 18:56:22

I had an ectopic back in August too which was also treated with methotrexate so I didn't actually lose my tube, but it did also mean that there is a higher chance of having another ectopic in the same tube. I also had spotting and no pain in August, and the spotting did stop at some point but it was still an ectopic pregnancy. So the cessation of spotting doesn't actually rule out another ectopic. Just be very wary and go straight to A&E if you feel ANY pain at all. It's better to be wrong than losing your tube.

I also got my next BFP in January and my GP said that considering my previous ectopic she would have definitely referred me to the EPU for an early scan of I hadn't already had a private one (for 6 weeks) booked with my fertility clinic.

I had this 6 week scan 10 days ago and I was so relieved to see a gestational sac, yolk Sac and the fetus. They can't rule out an ectopic until they can at least see the yolk Sac. You can still have an ectopic, but also have a pseudo sac in the uterus. So as long as there's a gestational sac and yolk sac you'll know that it's not an ectopic.

I hope the scan goes well on Wednesday, but just don't take any chances with an ectopic. Let us know how the scan goes.

Chris1989 Sat 03-Feb-18 20:09:57

@trippingoverrainbows

I’ve read that brown can be normal, and I’m hoping the fact both of us had browny mucus instead of pure blood is good! All the best for you, I’d definitely try and get an early scan - I think I’d be going out of my mind not knowing!

@RestlessLegKick Sorry to hear about edtopic too, it’s an awful experience! I’m definitely not convincing myself it’s not ectopic because it’s stopped, I know nothing will rule out an ectopic til my exam. I have been wondering whether the fact I had implantation bleeding at 11dpo is good, as of course in an ectopic implantation would happen much sooner and may not cause bleeding? The bleed I had was tiny, then it was nearly 2 weeks later when I had spotting for a few days.

BlueMermaid96 Sat 03-Feb-18 21:09:45

I'm 5 weeks too & had suffered a mmc last August. I understand the panic! But what my midwife told me is that this is a different baby an a different pregnancy, experience and to treat it brand new. Spotting&discharge is common between 4-5 weeks! It's where your baby is clinging on to you! If you are really worried then go to the epu or phone 111, they can guide you!

BlueMermaid96 Sat 03-Feb-18 21:11:42

Also with a miscarriage it's a lot more painful then a period and it's frequent like contractions. Only speaking from my experience of course, it also is heavy bleeding which starts at an instant going through pads like no ones business! Keep the testing down because it doesnt help with your anxious feelings x

trippingoverrainbows Sat 03-Feb-18 23:30:31

@BlueMermaid96 I think I need to take on board some of this advice also. Need to bloody stop POAS blush

BlueMermaid96 Sat 03-Feb-18 23:41:08

@trippingoverrainbows Yes don't be tempted! The most you test the more anxious and worried you get. Of course take one to re-assure yourself! But reading your post further up it is just implantation bleeding, it is nothing to worry about lovely. I highly recommend getting the bounty app, it's for pregnancy and helps you understand what happens. It gives you tips, shows you how far along you are, what the baby looks like growing etc etc it is a life saver!
Many articles on there for you to read about implantation bleeding and other subjects to help you! Hope all goes well for you x

Loonyluna16 Sat 03-Feb-18 23:48:35

My epu midwife went crazy at me for buying the weeks indicator hpts, she said they are never accurate and a total waste of money so I wouldn't rely on that too much. Good luck with your scan though @chris1989 flowers

trippingoverrainbows Sun 04-Feb-18 00:18:17

Thanks @BlueMermaid96, you've made me feel a bit better now with your reply. I will download the bounty app now! smile

RainbowsAndUnicorns23 Mon 05-Feb-18 02:15:38

Im now 14 weeks but when i got my BFP I was only around 5 weeks, anyway 2 days later i woke up to brown all in my pants and then when i wiped also, i had an early scan at EPU after calling 111 and going to OOH, they could only see the sac at this time but also i had a haematoma (like a bruise) said nothing to worry about as should get absorbed and booked me a re scan 2 weeks later to check my pregnancy had progressed, it had but haematoma still there. I went for my 12 week scan and its now gone. Try not to worry. I know how hard that can be, was the worst 2 weeks wait for me ever!

Chris1989 Mon 05-Feb-18 11:02:23

Thanks everyone smile 2 days to go until my scan...I'm so nervous but I'm still feeling positive! No spotting at all still, but my morning sickness disappeared so that's worrying me a bit. But I did have a touch of it this morning smile

@trippingoverrainbows how's your spotting now? Did you manage to get an early scan booked?

trippingoverrainbows Mon 05-Feb-18 20:51:39

@Chris1989 fingers crossed for your scan, hope you can let us know know you get on. Everyone keeps saying not to worry about symptoms coming and going but it's so hard when you're worried anyway.
I have a GP appointment on Thursday so will find out more then. As I haven't had a period since coming off the pill it's difficult to figure out how far along I am. I suspect 6-7 weeks though. How far along will you be when you get your scan?

Chris1989 Tue 06-Feb-18 09:46:11

Thank u smile it is so hard not to worry, I'm completely 50/50 on whether I think it's ok or not. I had the same issue back in August (conceived just after coming off the pill) so it does make things much harder

I'll be 6 weeks 4 days by my last period but I had what I think was late implantation so I imagine if they can see anything it'll be measuring earlier than that.

Hope everything goes well with your GP Thursday smile

Chris1989 Wed 07-Feb-18 12:21:59

Just got back and unfortunately it's inconclusive sad nothing can be seen in my uterus other than a small shadow which could be blood, or it could be that I'm earlier than I thought and the shadow is the start of the pregnancy. My left ovary is bigger than my right and has a 'lump' which is likely from my previous ectopic, but isn't tender at all which is good.

So I've had a blood test done and will need more bloods Friday to check the hCG levels, then I'll possibly be having another scan next Wednesday. To be honest I don't think it's looking good but I'm not going to give up hope sad

Loonyluna16 Wed 07-Feb-18 12:36:05

@chris1989 that's what happened at my first scan it was just a small black shadow... 10 days later baby was there, just try too keep positive and good luck for Friday smile xx

trippingoverrainbows Wed 07-Feb-18 13:12:09

@Chris1989 Most likely is that you're a bit earlier than you thought, will keep my fingers crossed for you thanks Was it a private scan you booked for reassurance or an NHS one?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: