Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Pregnancy after suffering a missed miscarriage.

(38 Posts)
BlueMermaid96 Mon 29-Jan-18 06:05:28

Hello lovely people,
I'm Amy, I'm 22 & In August I suffered a great loss to my little baby. A few days before my first scan, I started to bleed, I visited EPU and they said the womb is closed, all is okay. Had my scan booked for the day after anyway, went and on the screen was a sack. I had no idea what was or wasn't the baby, had an internal scan which revealed I lost my baby at 6 weeks and was carrying them for over a month whilst they were dead. The internal scan started the onset of my miscarriage, it was the most painful and emotional experience I have ever had. Me&My partner soon worked it out that it was due to being around siblings who had 'Slapped Cheek Syndrome' it can cause spontaneous miscarriage.

I found out I am now pregnant again, I'm happy but anxious and scared. I'm roughly 4+2 so early stages! My stomach feels tender which I didn't have in my first pregnancy, nor any implantation bleeding. I have had a dull pain which is what I felt during pregnancy one. I'm seeing my midwife next week.

But my main question is, what should I expect to be different? What will I feel different after 6 weeks? Any information would be amazing, really will. grin

emvy Mon 29-Jan-18 06:24:45

So sorry for your loss OP but congratulations on your current pregnancy.

Unfortunately there’s absolutely nothing you can “expect” that will confirm whether or not this pregnancy will be successful where your previous one wasn’t. You may or may not get morning sickness, you may or may not get nausea, you may or may not feel breast tenderness. Even if you don’t get these things, it doesn’t necessarily mean anything is wrong. You just have to get on with life as much as possible.

I suffered 2 miscarriages myself before my current pregnancy (where I’m now 29 weeks), and the early days are just the absolute worst. I didn’t allow myself to consider that I was even pregnant (despite feeling awful physicallly) until I saw a heartbeat at my 12 week scan. The only honest advice I can give you during these early days is to just keep busy as much as you’re able, and sleep for the rest of the time! It’s a scary time but it does pass and the second and third trimester, once you’ve seen your baby, are much less nerve wracking. I wish you all the best, congratulations again x

Hope18 Mon 29-Jan-18 07:10:02

@Bluemermaid96..
Hi smile so we lost our first pregnancy at around 6 weeks ish too. They couldn’t confirm an exact date of how many weeks we were but we discovered it as I bled and had to also have an internal scan where they discovered our pregnancy unfortuneatly wasn’t going to continue. I completely agree that MC is the scariest time ever but if it helps, I’m now in the same boat as you. I’m roughly around 4 weeks today and scared as hell. I’ve had spotting on and off which has heightened my worries even more. We’re booked in for another internal at 6 weeks, if we make it that far 🤞🏻 What I’m trying to tell myself is not to compare to our last pregnancy as this is a completely new story and we stand just as much Chance as anybody else and same goes for you lovely flowers we’re taking each day as it comes and we can only hope 🙂 wishing you all the best x

BlueMermaid96 Mon 29-Jan-18 08:20:06

@emvy Thank you for your support. I am having more morning sickness then my first, boobs are the same etc etc. I'm trying to think of it as a new experience but it is very worrying... I knew something was wrong when I was bleeding, but the doctors thought I was over-panicking as such. A mothers instinct never lies! I've moved as well so out of my comfort zone for sure.

BlueMermaid96 Mon 29-Jan-18 08:20:24

@emvy Congratulations as well!x

BlueMermaid96 Mon 29-Jan-18 08:23:08

@Hope18
Thank you for the support & suggestions. Mean's alot. I'm trying to treat this baby as a brand new bundle of joy, it's just hard not to panic. But hey, we're pregnancy buddies! When is your due date? I worked mine out roughly 10th October.

emvy Mon 29-Jan-18 08:32:13

Yes it certainly is an entirely new situation and has it’s own chance smile

In terms of instinct, I was sure I felt something was wrong with my second mc and sure enough a few days later I passed the baby. However, with my first it was a complete shock. Also, there were many times early on in this pregnancy where I was convinced instinct was telling me I’d lost this baby (usually for no reason whatsoever, but still). So try not to rely too heavily on the instinct thing. Try to think practically - if you have no signs you’ve miscarried, you probably haven’t. Yes there’s always a chance but it’s not definite and try to focus on that positivity and hope x

Hope18 Mon 29-Jan-18 12:50:18

@bluemermaid96
I think roughly around 8th Oct! Haha Defo pregnancy buddies ☺️
Although I’m trying to block out dates etc atm i just think In my head it might make things ok if I don’t clutch to dates etc ( crazy I know ) !!
Just feeling so paranoid about thinking during the day that I feel bleeding 😩 x

BlueMermaid96 Mon 29-Jan-18 23:54:59

You both are so lovely thank you for the support and positive vibes @emvy!
Ooo close! Well my midwife said the first time round never count on a date always expect within a few days on each side of the date... They come out when they feel like it!
Aw pregnancy buddies!!

yorkshireyummymummy Tue 30-Jan-18 00:04:22

The only advice I can give is try not to get tense and stressed.
I had two early miscarriages ( a 12 week and a 10 week) then a stillbirth before a successful pregnancy so, after my first miscarriage I didn’t take anything for granted. Yes, I was pregnant again but I didn’t get my hopes too high.
I was 15 yrs older than you though so you have youth on your side.
I often think that since lots of women seem to have an early miscarriage then go on to have a successful pregnancy it’s almost as if our bodies and wombs are “ powering up” and checking that everything works ok.
We are all different so dont get hung up on anybody else’s story but I would advise you to be cautiously optimistic until your 12 week scan. It’s certainly a big .....phewwww exhale when you get to that marker.

I wish you much luck and happiness and I’m sending happy positive energy to baby.

BlueMermaid96 Wed 31-Jan-18 03:12:51

@yorkshireyummymummy
Thank you so much. I'm so sorry for your losses. Truly am! I'm going to request an earlier scan as I'm now high risk, I have a midwife appointment tomorrow. So fingers crossed!

Hope18 Wed 31-Jan-18 07:05:34

Hi @bluemermaid96
Just checking in again smile
Let us know how your midwife appointment goes!
My spotting hasn’t happened for a couple of days now but I don’t want to get too confident but generally pleased with my past two days ..
Middle of the week today! All the best for your appointment x

BlueMermaid96 Wed 31-Jan-18 18:51:09

@Hope18
Hello Love,
Had my midwife appointment and went well. Going for all tests! Have blood test this Friday which I am dreading soooo much! Hate blood tests.
I'm 5 weeks, due 4th October. They're helping me with housing after my tenancy finishes in September which is great.
I'm over my BMI by 1.5 so more tests, but I'm fine with that.
I'm a smoker so they're referring me for help, my monoxide levels were 7, which she said was expected from being a smoker & living in the city.

But overall went well, got my bounty pack & will be seeing them soon smile

How are you coming along?

Hope18 Wed 31-Jan-18 20:55:31

@bluemermaid96
Pleased it went well today for you, how good is that about your housing ! That will be reassuring for you..
4th Oct! That’s cute, I’ll have to let you know mine when I go for my appointment ( haven’t booked with GP yet as I’m under EPU for now) then if my first internal scan goes ok they will get my first midwife appointment sorted for me.
I’m sure BMI won’t cause you much problems? I’d probably be over mine tbh for my height as I’m only 5.2🙊
So did they give you any dates for your 12 week?
Generally I’m ok atm although I caved and took another test this eve just incase lol but was a strong positive So FX 🤞🏻

BlueMermaid96 Sun 11-Feb-18 02:20:38

Hello @Hope18, all went very well. I got my scan date for 26th Feb, so I'll be roughly 9 weeks which is what I'm confused about. But it's on OH birthday as well so itmll keep him happy. After having positive tests, sore boobs, morning sickness and loads of other hints to being pregnant, but the bottom of my belly still isn't very hard like it should be. I've been having cramps and aches, I had a sharp shooting pain yesterday but I put it down to cramping. Had no bleeding no nothing, so I think everything is fine. I'm at 6w+3 so it's a very close week to me from my mmc, so thankful I only have to wait till 26th for a scan. Very scared though. Still not told anyone yet either, have you?
How comes you're under EPU atm love? Hope everything is going well for you!! X

BlueMermaid96 Sun 11-Feb-18 02:21:00

@Hope18 I'm also 5"2! How weird lol!

Hope18 Sun 11-Feb-18 12:02:47

@bluemermaid96 ahh scan date on OH birthday haha! Well I’m sure it will all be good news for you guys ! I’ve also had all
Of those symptoms but it sounds weird because I’m not sure if I’ve had morning sickness or if I just feel queezy because I’ve had a bit of a cold ? confused but queezy feeling comes, I get on the verge of being sick and then calms down again😂 very strange.. I’ve had a bit of heartburn/reflux tho which I never suffer from normally and that’s not been pleasent 🙊
Bottom of my belly feels soft too Hun? I wouldn’t worry too much about that? And I had a random
Shooting pain last week! When I was driving ! And had nothing since.. can be scary tho defiantly !!
We’ve told my parents, and two of our friends know as we drink with them all the time and they guessed 🙄 I didn’t want to deny because I still want to be involved with social things, but we’re not telling anybody else!
Sorry for tmi but I’ve been suffering so bad with constipation! 😳 having to have fibre gel! And I think that constipation has been causing a few funny cramp feelings for me..
end of this week i have to ring EPU and confirm pregnancy with a test again and then they will book my scan! Scary times !! Xx

Hope18 Sun 11-Feb-18 12:07:01

@bluemermaid96 Sorry forgot to say-
I’m under EPU atm due to previous
MC which had complications and I’ve had spotting early on..
Just fingers crossed this time x

BlueMermaid96 Sun 11-Feb-18 13:34:47

@Hope18 Ahh I see! How exciting! That defo sound like morning sickness to me, that's what I get. Especially the heartburn and reflux, it's horrible I can't stand it! The sharp pain was a worry, right? I had that in August which worried me alot and caused a very big uproar which resulted me waiting in EPU for ages.
Haven't told parents yet, my mum would probably murder me... My dad, eh he just shrugs it off... OH parents loved the idea last time were going to buy the pram, nappies loads of stuff for us to get started was lovely.
All my friends drink too but it's still too risky for me to tell people, how did your friends and family react?
I've not had constipation yet, constantly need to wee though! I've always had a problem with my bowels, I normally go for a poo 1 maybe 2 times a week if I'm lucky... Which is really bad but nothing can be done...
Oh I see so EPU are watching over you, so how many weeks are you roughly again? Do you have to wait till a certain date to re check with a test? That must be rather annoying?x

BlueeSpottyTiger Sun 11-Feb-18 13:49:10

I have had 2 mcs the second was a mmc. Baby died at 9+5, detected at 12 weeimk scan at 11+4 and i passed it at 12+5 that was back in early sep.
I got pregnant the next cycle and I'm now 17+1 with a healthy baby boy. I don't think you can expect anything to be different in terms of what to expect as every pregnancy will be different anyway. With my mmc i had hg and was still being sick until the day before i passed the baby. Sickness is supposed to be a great sign of a healthy pregnancy.
You just need to take it day by day in the early stages. I'm wishing you lots of luck xxx

Hope18 Sun 11-Feb-18 14:19:54

@bluemermaid96 the reflux is the worst 🤢 I thought it was a bit early to be having it tbh? Mind you, my other friends had it all the way through so I guess everybody is different smile
God the sharp pain was a worry! I flew through the door and sat on the loo expecting blood- nothing became of it but wasn’t a nice evening of wondering and “waiting”.
Oh, your mum would murder you? Really! Are you in a sittuation which she doesn’t agree with? My parents are the opposite tbh but sometimes that’s also hard as I felt like I let them down last time when I had MC 😔 their desperate for grandchildren.. no pressure 😂 we have disowned my DH parents, so their way out of the picture!
Those few people that know are very pleased for us but understand my view on why I’m not singing from the rooftops yet as they know what we’ve been through.
Omg how funny that our toileting is the same in life 😂 I’ve always had bowel issues too!! Literally live off fibregel and lactolouse normally. By midwife dating I’m
6 weeks tomorrow, but obvs that’s more like 4-5 real terms isn’t it from ov. Well
I guess it’s just to confirm it right up to booking early Scan etc. Took a test Thursday just gone and got 3+ on Clearblue so hopefully get the same result this week!

Emcharlierush Sun 11-Feb-18 18:08:37

@BlueMermaid96 So sorry for your loss flowers

I had MMC found at my 12 week scan. It’s so heartbreaking, I totally feel for you. I haven’t got much advice as to how you’ll feel, but what I can say is that you need to put all your faith into this pregnancy. When I got pregnant again, I was so sure something was going to happen, I was paranoid, worried, every tiny twinge made my heart nearly stop...and now I’m waiting for my little bundle who is now nearly 4 days overdue!!

It will be ok, relax, stay positive and enjoy it smile Every pregnancy is so different and I’m sure this LO is destined for earth flowers

BlueMermaid96 Sun 11-Feb-18 19:16:52

@Emcharlierush It was devastation. But unfortunately I need to go to EPU tonight due to the cramping ive had, some odd discharge & how frequent I go to the toilet they want to check me out and she if everything's okay with the baby & me... Fingers crossed!x

Hope18 Sun 11-Feb-18 20:34:55

Oh @bluemermaid96 sorry to see your going to EPU this eve?? Maybe you have a water infection ? That can cause those symptoms your describing xx

BlueMermaid96 Sun 11-Feb-18 21:09:34

@Hope18 I really hope it is just a water infection I really do, will let you know what happens x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: