Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Smear when pregnant? ?

(12 Posts)
Bippitybopityboo Tue 23-Jan-18 23:49:44

Got a letter to go for my 1st smear but I'm 22 weeks pregnant.
Called GPS who said to leave it and book in after birth but I'm worried now that it's important sad
Can you have them while pregnant?

AssassinatedBeauty Tue 23-Jan-18 23:52:51

No, I don't think they can or will do them whilst you're pregnant. There's no need at all to worry about it until after you give birth - I think there's a period of time that needs to be left afterwards before you can have one.

Bec276 Tue 23-Jan-18 23:56:37

I was due a smear when I was pregnant and was told to book it for 12 weeks after birth. As long as you go for it then I'm sure you'll be absolutely fine.

chocolateorangeowls Wed 24-Jan-18 00:13:41

Nope you can't have them while pregnant. I was due my second one during pregnancy but had to wait until a couple of months after I gave birth.

Bippitybopityboo Wed 24-Jan-18 00:15:56

I worry far too much. I have seen that some are offered them after having a baby or when your 25 whichever is first I'm 25 in march but had ds1 18 months ago!

RosieCotton Wed 24-Jan-18 00:32:14

They don't like to do them during pregnancy unless you've had a previous abnormal result. It simply because the results can be influenced by pregnancy. I had abnormal last time I had a smear done and got my letter for my second last week. I had mine done this time round simply because of my previous results but if you've had a clear result before or its your first they normally get you to put it off until after birth

Alwaysconfused2018 Wed 24-Jan-18 00:45:40

I was told to wait 6m after birth. So have marked on calendar when to book it roughly for.

CoffeeAndCupcakes85 Wed 24-Jan-18 04:35:12

I was told to wait 3 months post birth.

chocolateorangeowls Thu 25-Jan-18 09:09:56

"I have seen that some are offered them after having a baby or when your 25 whichever is first"

I don't think this is true, as far as I know unless they have any concerns it's always 25 when you are first offered one. Having a baby doesn't mean you need a smear test, it's just if you are due one whilst pregnant you will get offered it afterwards. Hope that makes sense.

HoneyCake86 Thu 25-Jan-18 09:53:41

Would they do it if you have had abnormal results and treatment before? My cells went from normal to CGIN3 in several months and i had LLETZ to cut them out. They were very close to becoming a cancer. Im anxious in case they redevelop in the 10 odd months of pregnancy and birth, as they grew pretty rapidly last time. Anyone know if theyd do a gentle smear later in the pregnancy?

RosieCotton Thu 25-Jan-18 11:13:21

I had mine done in pregnancy because of abnormal results. Your best talking to your doctor and seeing if they will do it for you. X

Pugsleypugs Thu 25-Jan-18 11:26:27

I was also told you can't have them as the test results won't be accurate so it's basically a waste of time.

I'm just going to get booked in for as soon as I can after the birth.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: