Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Breathing/movement monitors. Snuza Hero

(18 Posts)
BlueRaincoat89 Mon 22-Jan-18 19:34:42

We'd like to get either a breathing or movement monitor but don't know what will work with our Tutti Bambini Cozee co-sleeper. I've read that the ones which go beneath the mattress can pick up your movement if the crib is connected to the bed. So I was then looking at the Snuza Hero which looks like it should work - has anyone used one?

Shehz21 Mon 22-Jan-18 19:35:38

I just bought the tutti bambini cozee co-sleeper and was thinking of getting the Angel Care Monitor! Wouldn't that work?!shock

MiniMaxi Mon 22-Jan-18 19:36:52

We use an owlet which has been excellent. I think they've just started shipping to the UK but beware, they are £££

Shehz21 Mon 22-Jan-18 19:40:33

Oh dear the owlet is well and truly damn expensive!

BlueRaincoat89 Mon 22-Jan-18 19:57:15

Yep, that is expensive!

@Shehz21 I was planning on getting the Angel monitor too but I was reading today about them not working properly with co-sleepers. The Snuza Hero attaches to the nappy so I'm thinking it might be better.

dementedpixie Mon 22-Jan-18 19:58:39

not sure if you're aware but they don't actually help prevent cot death

lookingforthecorkscrew Mon 22-Jan-18 20:01:28

I bought one for DS and then decided not to use it. It would’ve made me more paranoid tbh. It took a long time for me to relax and sleep properly while he slept but I did get there in the end.

lookingforthecorkscrew Mon 22-Jan-18 20:02:23

Basically if you don’t smoke, and you put your baby to sleep on their back then you are doing everything you can. Many also say a dummy can help.

Thegruffaloswifey Mon 22-Jan-18 20:15:45

I had the snuza hero for my dc. Backstory I had a brother who died of sids/cot death and was extremely paranoid.

One night the alarm went off on the snuza whilst on dc, it woke me up and I have never felt so absolutely terrified in all my life, everything flashed before my eyes and convinced my baby wasn't breathing I went into bling panic screaming.

My baby was fine, where the nappy was wet it had sagged slightly away from DC's tummy and wasn't able to monitor DC's breathing, hence the alarm going off thinking there wasn't any breathing. I got rid of it after this and as a pp and my father said, the alarm doesn't prevent sids. It just wakes you up if it's happened.

BlueRaincoat89 Mon 22-Jan-18 20:32:23

Thanks for the advice everyone. I only started looking into them because DH's friends had a child that died of cot death and they got a monitor for their second baby which they told us would prevent SIDS and we should get one.

We wanted one because of this - we didn't know that they don't actually prevent it. To be honest, I wish I hadn't started looking. Reading into it has made me more anxious than I would have been.

gryffen Mon 22-Jan-18 21:35:04

We had one for our dd1 and woke up to her screaming as the long cable for charger had wrapped round her - it was binned immediately.

Look at the product, is it cabled, wireless - is there a socket nearby?

Nothing like this will prevent sids- all we can do is be aware of risks and do what is best practice.

Hedgehog80 Mon 05-Feb-18 22:47:06

I disagree my dc4 would stop breathing a lot due to reflux and the angelcare monitor woke us on many occasions when he was in trouble I hate to think what might have happened if we hadn’t had it
I have got a snuza hero for dc5

kingat Mon 05-Feb-18 22:56:48

I had it and used until we moved DS to his cot and he started rolling. It went off maybe 2 times when the nappy was too loose. I really like these monitors and I wouldnt be able to sleep without it. We now have under mattress one. Yes, they dont prevent sids, but they wake you up if something is wrong and give you chance to help the baby. I cant imagine my baby stoping breathing and me sleeping through that.
I did first aid for babies course too.

purplecat27 Mon 05-Feb-18 23:53:44

I bed shared with our first from around 12 weeks, we already had the Angelcare with the sensor pad but obviously it didn't work in that situation so we got a Snuza Go. At that time they were available on Amazon and slightly cheaper than the Hero. From my understanding the difference is that the Go just has an auditory alarm, whereas the Hero has a vibration function that turns on before the alarm to try to jolt the baby awake. I'm not sure if the vibration function can be turned off but I'd look into that, because you do get false alarms and that function could needlessly wake your baby. BTW these things are great, our Snuza Go still worked after going through a full wash and dry cycle in our machine! We bought a new one as I didn't trust it after that, but was still pretty amazed that it still worked!

dinosaurkisses Tue 06-Feb-18 01:00:55

We were gifted an Angelcare monitor from a very generous friend when DD was born. I didn't want one, but dcided to give it a go when it arrived.

We have a Tutti Bambini beside crib as well- for the mat to work you need to track a wire from under the crib mattress to the ground. There's no hole in the bottom of the Tutti to feed through the wire, so short of butchering the crib it jst wasn't going to work.

I had a look at the instructions and to be honest it seems like a bit of a faff for no real benefit- as other posters have said, they don't prevent cot death, they will only alert you when it's too late. There's actually suggestions that they're counterproductive, as some parents can become more lax with the safe sleeping guidelines because they believe the monitors will protect their child against SIDS, when really it's just a monitor. As others have said here, some parents have found that it actually makes them feel more anxious as well.

In addition, you need to be mindful that every time you pick baby up, you need to knock off the unit as it'll start screeching when it doesn't detect any movement.

its just immoral how these things are marketed as the pinnacle of safe sleeping, anti-SIDS technology when the only real benefit is "peace of mind".

Save your money, OP- stick to the safe sleeping guidelines (you're mostly there if you're intending on using the side car cot for at least six months)., they're much more likely to prevent SIDS than any fancy monitor.

Alb1 Tue 06-Feb-18 01:31:50

We use a snuza hero, DD was premature with a heart condition and our DD before her was stillborn so I felt I needed one, we still use it now and she's 10 months old. It does go off if it slides off the nappy but I don't find it terrifying like many people do. I'd rather get woken up every night by false alarms than sleep through the one real event. Even if it doesn't 'prevent' sids, id still rather get woken up and give saving my baby a damn good try rather than snoring away. I wouldn't recommend everyone get one as it would probably just cause more anxiety for most as it does cause false alarms, but for some crazy people like me it helps and it works, the false alarms are if it's not put on the nappy right, but DD rolls over and wriggles around everywhere now and it stays on and works so if your going to get a monitor, I recommend this one! Like others have said though, following the safe sleeping guidelines is far more important and much better at preventing sids

Kellie137 Tue 06-Feb-18 06:47:46

I have an angel card monitor and used it until my ds went into his cot. Maybe went off twice unnecessarily however whilst many say they don’t prevent cot death I always think that I’d rather

Kellie137 Tue 06-Feb-18 06:49:33

Oops posted too soon, I always think I’d rather know my baby stopped breathing 20 seconds ago rather than 3 hours ago. Maybe something more can be done. It gave me peace of mind and if it does with you then worth investing if it will make you anxious or paranoid I wouldn’t recommend

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: