Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Anyone think breastfeeding was fine?

(70 Posts)
FloydOnThePull Mon 22-Jan-18 17:06:28

I'm currently 20 wks with my first and planning to breastfeed little Floyd when he or she gets here. Mostly from reading too much AIBU, I get the impression that it can be difficult and it hurts and It's something you really have to persevere with before it comes good. I don't know whether this is the experience of the majority or whether like most things, having a bad experience is worthy of comment but something that didn't really bother you either way and you were a bit 'meh' about is therefore not commented on (kind of like how someone would be more motivated to leave a bad review than an average one on trip advisor as bad experiences stick in the mind more iyswim).

I'll be honest and say that it's not something I'm looking forward to, i'd therefore be interested to know anyone's 'on the whole it was fine' experiences of breastfeeding if such a thing exists?

PinkHeart5914 Mon 22-Jan-18 17:09:59

My understanding is some women can find it difficult but for me personally I am currently feeding my 3rd baby and I’ve never had any issues with it.

They have all latched on without any problems, 1st baby I guess it was a weird sensation at first but not uncomfortable or painful for me. It’s actually a quite nice feeling knowing your body is feeding this tiny little baby.

Don’t put any pressure on yourself, give it a go and see how you get on.

PeekabooPoo Mon 22-Jan-18 17:12:44

I've breastfed both my dc. With my first someone recommended i buy a tube of lansinoh (think that's how you spell it!) nipple cream and pack it in my hospital bag. I was incredibly fortunate that one of the midwives was a trained lactation consultant and basically taught me and dd how to latch properly in the 24 hours we were there.

It was easy peasy from then on.

My second was also incredibly easy to bf. He just latched on and we were good.

I think i am very fortunate that its simple and pain free for me, never had cracked nipples, never had mastitis, etc - a bit uncomfortable when my milk came in on day 3 but that's it

Sofabitch Mon 22-Jan-18 17:14:47

I know for me the firdt few weeks were hard. But not unbareable. The convienice once past the hard learning curve was amazing though.

Think of it like any new skill. There is an inital steep learning curve and a few mistakes that can set you back but the more you do it the easier it gets...and like playing a guitar you get callous on your fingers the nipples toughen up.

OuchBollocks Mon 22-Jan-18 17:19:06

DD was a very frequent feeder, but it never ever hurt. DS feeds far less often, it hurt for a bit but then I got his tongue tie snipped and it stopped hurting. But on the whole it is far better than fine for me. I love breastfeeding my babies. It is easy having milk on tap, no bottles no buying formula no washing and prepping and waiting, right amount and temperature 24/7, and the feel of your snuggly baby against your chest is wonderful.

boopdoop Mon 22-Jan-18 17:21:11

I bf DS1 for 10 months and it was great. First couple of days it took a bit of getting used to but it wasn't particularly painful. He was in special care for 2 days, fed through s tube, so we had a couple of days getting my milk to come in whilst he was already used to a certain amount of milk, so fed him then topped up worth expressed milk or formula for 2 days, but then it was all fine from them on.

As pp have said, it's often best to just give it a go, try and get support in hospital or in local feeding drop in if you need. But if it doesn't work isn't for you don't feel too guilty (the guilt if it didn't work was what some of my friends found the hardest).

boopdoop Mon 22-Jan-18 17:23:01

Would also recommend the Lanoish cream someone else mentioned above. Good to help get through the first few days as they get used to latching on. It seems expensive but you'll probably only ever use one tube and is so so worth it to help as you settle into it al.

BertrandRussell Mon 22-Jan-18 17:23:18

I found it perfecly fine. It took a few days for us both to get he hang of it, but after that we didn’t look back. I think there are plenty of people like me, but it’s not acceptable to say so on Mumsnet. Only horror stories need apply!

norbert23 Mon 22-Jan-18 17:27:28

Yes, all fine and easy here, BF til she was 2 and she lost interest. No pain or soreness either so win win x

jimijack Mon 22-Jan-18 17:28:04

Yeah twas fine, did it until ds 3rd birthday, & first child for10 months.
I was meh about it, and I'm lazy so was easy I think.
I kinda took to it without much of a problem, enjoyed it mostly. Was knackered, due to frequency of feeding.

I could never express either so it was down to me mostly.
Did a bit of mixed feeding so dh could do the evening feed so I could get some sleep, worked well.

mummyG2C Mon 22-Jan-18 17:30:10

I was actually quite nervous about breastfeeding not sure why just worried it wouldn't work and I would be a failure! But that is just something silly we put on ourselves. I did exclusively breastfeed my DD but she had some neck issues (basically just very tight and couldn't turn one side from being breech and stuck in my ribs) when born and was given breast shields in hospital and I could never wean her off them so it was a little faffy for me with those but still I never really considered not doing it I think out of pure determination more than anything! I am currently 32 weeks and hoping to feed easier this time!

I must admit I was never one of those that just loved breastfeeding and the whole journey and was quite happy when she fully weaned to have my boobs back but still am very proud I did it and I really think I did give my daughter the best start I could. It is a lot more convenient than bottle feeding (especially in the middle of the night!) and is one less thing to worry about packing when going out, there are lots of opinions and feelings on it really but ultimately it's whatever is best for you and baby. If you give it a go and not a massive fan then that's fine I knew I had to give it a good go but if it hadn't worked for me or baby I would have just done what was best.

FloydOnThePull Mon 22-Jan-18 17:30:47

Thanks all, that's really helpful. Mentally I'm just trying to get to 'try not to over think it and just give it a go, it'll most likely be fine'

DustyMaiden Mon 22-Jan-18 17:33:28

I had my first baby 31 years ago. She was born I fed her. I never had any problems. I often think that if I had read all of the posts on here I would have been nervous. But unless specifically asked people wouldn’t post if they found it eady.

grannycab Mon 22-Jan-18 17:33:29

I had no issues at all.

Hulaballoo Mon 22-Jan-18 17:37:52

I breastfed with both DDs.. and then mixed fed when they were 4 months...It was definitely difficult to start with.... Toe-curling painful for me. It took a while for the pain, the chapping, cracks etc to heal.... By 6 weeks though it was good... But it did take me a while with both DDs to feel totally at ease. I'm glad I persevered but there were many times that I was close to stopping because it really was unbearable. I did get support, bf group, la leche etc to help but it didn't work overnight...My 2nd also had tongue tie which also affects feeding and pain when bf. I recommend trying it and seeing how it goes but don't feel bad if you decide to stop. It's really such a personal choice. You need to be happy so baby's happy too, whatever feels right for you and your baby xx

LillianGish Mon 22-Jan-18 17:39:30

I breastfed two with no problem - I echo everything previous posters have said. Lovely snuggly thing to do and much easier than faffing about sterilising bottles. I have to say though that if it had been difficult and incovenient I wouldn’t have had any hesitation going over the bottles - I did it for my own convenience Some people don’t like it because you can’t tell how much milk they’ve had, personally I was happy to trust my babies to stop when they were full, I’m convinced this is why they were never sick, unlike some bottle fed babies I knew who seemed to throw up after every feed. Do what’s easiest for you - that’s my advice with most baby rearing tips. Everyone’s different, there’s no one size fits all - don’t be afraid to follow your own instincts.

EllieMentry Mon 22-Jan-18 17:45:07

It was fine for me both times, although it took a little while to get the hang of it and with both babies I was a bit sore while we got the latch sorted. Nothing awful, though.

It really helped to realise that the baby had never done this before, either, so I didn't expect miracles in the beginning!

I didn't have the internet when my babies were born and I think that made a difference, in that I didn't really come across any issues/problems/judgement around feeding. If I'd struggled to breastfeed, I would have happily given bottles but I'm a bit lazy so was glad not to have to clean and prepare them.

flutteronbynow Mon 22-Jan-18 17:45:11

I'm currently breastfeeding no. 6 & yes - it was toe-curlingly painful with no.1 BUT once you get past that & get the latch right it's fab. No sterilising, no buying formula, no getting up in the middle of the night...feed anywhere, anytime, just grab baby & go. Honestly, I may sound like it but I'm not in the Breastapo...feed how you want to feed but the evidence is there - it really is best for baby & good for you too. If you can do it, give it a go. But don't put yourself under pressure. Happy mum, happy babe. But it's definitely worth a go...and if you get past the first few weeks you'll be flying & probably won't look back. I've just worked out I'm in my 60th month of breastfeeding so have saved a bloody fortune, apart from all the other benefits of it.

Salene Mon 22-Jan-18 17:47:20

Breast fed my 17 month old and 3 year old both for 12 months and had no issues at all and no it did not hurt me, midwives had to help me get latch sorted with first baby but once that was done I found it very easy and with second child it was like riding a bike

IceBearRocks Mon 22-Jan-18 17:51:10

Ds1 and DD2 were both breastfed with ease. The first 3-4 weeks are difficult but then you just wop em out and milk is ready!!!
DS2 couldn't feed as he had no suck reflex so was tubefed.....now that was hell on earth!!! THEN.... we taught him how to bottle feed!!!! OMG.... downstairs in the night waiting to a bottle to heat ...then the endless washing a sterilisation!!!

Breastfeeding was a breeze...for me that is....both self weaned at 16 months.

Chchchchangeabout Mon 22-Jan-18 17:51:18

Yes, both times! Despite two horrific births both ending in C-section and the second with a blood transfusion. Breast feeding was a breeze, I enjoyed it and cannot imagine faffing around with Bottles etc. Before the first I was worried I'd find it weird, but it felt like the most natural thing in the world.

Chchchchangeabout Mon 22-Jan-18 17:52:26

However I know others who had a tough time and would never judge someone who found it too challenging- I know I was lucky with BF (just not with birth...)

Buxbaum Mon 22-Jan-18 17:52:48

I established breastfeeding easily and after a tough night before day 4 my milk came in on day 5 and all went really well. My let down was a bit painful for the first week or so and i needed Lansinoh for a bit of tenderness but otherwise it was great.

You have to remember that it is a learned skill and it will take both you and baby a bit of time to get the knack and feel confident. Accept any and all offers of help. Ignore well-meaning advice from people who know very little about breast feeding (eg the person who told me that I probably wouldn’t be able to feed because my milk didn’t come in immediately - total bollocks. My wonderful midwife predicted that it would come in Friday evening after my Monday night birth and she was bang on). Drink ABSOLUTELY MASSES of water. There is no thirst like a mid-feed thirst.

eddiemairswife Mon 22-Jan-18 17:52:59

Breastfed 4 for just over six months each. No problems whatsoever. My little paperback book said to massage nipples briefly each day with cream to make them less likely to get sore. I used Nivea (long time ago).

Dazedandconfuzzled Mon 22-Jan-18 17:56:01

I found feeding quite easy. My dd seemed to know what she was doing from the get go haha. I would recommend nipple cream cause even with a good latch I found they were still a bit sore till they got used to It. I had thrush once but It was easily sorted. I would say go into It with an open mind and remember that it might take a few weeks to fully get the hang of it like anything new.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: