Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Early Gender Scan Wrong?

(115 Posts)
Lauraelisabeth9 Sun 14-Jan-18 00:13:03

Hi all,
No judging please I already feel bad enough myself.
I had an early gender scan today, we were so desperate for a girl, mainly me and after a bit of trouble we were told it was a boy. This pregnancy has been so so different to my boy though. I was wondering what are the chances of it being wrong. Obviously I’ll wait until my 20 week to confirm better but just wanting some advice. The pictures weren’t overly clear either. Thanks.

messedupworldwelivein Sun 14-Jan-18 00:14:20

Have you got scan pic? The nub therory has always worked for me xxxx @Lauraelisabeth9

cestlavielife Sun 14-Jan-18 00:15:16

What advice do you want?
It s clearly 50 50
It might be a boy
It might be a girl
Wait 10 more weeks
Why does it matter ?

ConfusedButInLove Sun 14-Jan-18 00:19:00

How far on are you?
I was 16/17 weeks with both of mine and they we both correct.
My friend it took a couple of scan for her to get a proper decision as dc was curled up.

Lauraelisabeth9 Sun 14-Jan-18 00:19:06

@cestlavielife I said no judging. You know nothing about me or my history thank you. I was wondering if anyone had been in the same boat and scans had been wrong.

@messedupworldwelivein I do yes but I’m new to this forum sorry so I have no idea how to upload lol x

catladyinthemaking Sun 14-Jan-18 00:19:09

Gender has no bearing on your symptoms so completely different symptoms does not mean different gender. All you can do is wait for your next scan ( or book another one I guess)

Why is it so important?

Lauraelisabeth9 Sun 14-Jan-18 00:20:15

I’m 16.5 weeks, but I am a bit overweight with an anterior placent and baby was being a monkey. Completely face down 😂 xx

ConfusedButInLove Sun 14-Jan-18 00:20:55

Just to add: If it is a boy your son will have a friend for life.
Ps i wanted another girl. I had a boy and I couldn't love him more.
Once you meet that face it won't matter flowers

messedupworldwelivein Sun 14-Jan-18 00:21:06

If you go to bottom of comment box there's like a paper clip sign click that and it will post a picture you select..
I'm obsessed with the nub haha I'm 14 weeks x

Lauraelisabeth9 Sun 14-Jan-18 00:23:35

Thank you @ConfusedButInLove I know and I already feel bad enough for the feelings I feel but I can’t help them 😓 I am so happy for my DS as I didn’t think we would be able to have another I just think because I know it’s our last I’m upset because I can’t imagine not having a girl in my life. I am obviously happy this one is healthy and growing lovely but I was just hoping there may be people who have experienced wrong scans especially when I didn’t think ours was overly clear xx

Longdistance Sun 14-Jan-18 00:24:56

I thought the sex developed at around 15/16 weeks so the scan wouldn’t be 100% accurate anyway.

MagicWillHappen Sun 14-Jan-18 00:25:09

You sound like you're looking for reassurance in order to give you continued hope it may be a girl op...which, whatever your reason, doesn't sound healthy.

If you've been told it's a boy, whilst it's not 100%, the highest chance now is that they were correct and it's a boy.

Leilaniiii Sun 14-Jan-18 00:26:53

Why is it your last, OP?

khajiit13 Sun 14-Jan-18 00:27:13

I assume you mean sex. Wait a few more weeks and see what they say then. It is far more likely to incorrectly confirm as a girl target r than a boy however

Aria2015 Sun 14-Jan-18 00:28:56

My friend had a boy but didn't find out for her second. She was convinced it was a girl because the pregnancy was so different. It was a boy though. She had no preference so was still happy but she was surprised. I don't think the fact that the pregnancies are different is necessarily an indication the baby is a different sex.

messedupworldwelivein Sun 14-Jan-18 00:29:57

I have a boy and a girl and I'm pregnant again and this is so different to both so it's hard to tell on that side of things x

StellaTins Sun 14-Jan-18 00:30:05

Apparently it's much rarer to get it wrong if they can see it's a boy.

I do know someone who was told it was a girl and then went on to have a boy, which just confirms the above really.

I guess you're having a boy.

messedupworldwelivein Sun 14-Jan-18 00:30:39

You don't have to wait long for another scan luv x

maybebaby88 Sun 14-Jan-18 03:51:24

Wow there's quite a lot of judgement on here. Is it really so terrible to hope for one sex over another, especially if this is OP's last child?

OP they are more likely to get it wrong the other way around as if they can't see anything they sometimes assume it's a girl, whereas of they see boy bits then it's more obvious. However, you're still really early so you never know. If I was you I'd expect a boy as that's what it most likely is, and then if your next scan says different there you go

Pugsleypugs Sun 14-Jan-18 08:55:56

16 weeks is the earliest they can tell on a scan.

The only way you'll know 100% is to give birth to the baby or gave a harmony test though.

FrostyThirties0 Sun 14-Jan-18 09:02:20

Wow there's quite a lot of judgement on here. Is it really so terrible to hope for one sex over another,

Hoping, no.

Being disappointed in being told it’s a boy (which these threads always are!) yes. It’s a 50/50 chance, how can you be a bloody disappointed you have one of the two only options. You have a healthy child on the way. Fgs.

NellWilsonsWhiteHair Sun 14-Jan-18 09:09:54

No judgment here OP. I was disappointed in pregnancy when my first (and as I thought then, only) was a boy. It was good to have some time to get used to the idea before he arrived, and since he's been here I have never once wished he was anything other than he is.

I can also see why you'd be looking around for stories of them getting it wrong at an early scan. I'd wait a few weeks, see again, and assuming it's still a boy, that's the point at which you do need to come to terms with it ('it' being 'never having a daughter' rather than 'healthy baby being a boy' iyswim - I don't think it's helpful to blur these two concepts). I think once you do, you will see all the positives to this one being another boy and/or all the reasons it simply doesn't matter. But you need to stop hoping for a girl first and I think you're going to need a second, slightly later scan before you're ready for that.

Wishing you lots of luck with the rest of your pregnancy. flowers

Lauraelisabeth9 Sun 14-Jan-18 09:12:59

@maybebaby88 - thank you. Clearly I’m the devil incarnate.

It’s obvious some people are perfect at controlling their feelings. I would never judge someone on their feelings when I know nothing about them yet I’m the one who should be ashamed? Quite funny really. I hope you dont judge your children on their feelings like this, especially as I have always stated I feel bad enough myself.

Lauraelisabeth9 Sun 14-Jan-18 09:16:14

And thank you everyone for your nice comments and advice. Xx

Kintan Sun 14-Jan-18 09:23:20

It’s more likely to be told girl and it’s actually a boy than the other way round. Agree with the pp, once you see his face you won’t care that he’s not a girl smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: