Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Can pets tell you're pregnant?

(13 Posts)
coastalchick Sat 13-Jan-18 12:24:42

In the early stages I mean. Our cat is not really affectionate but today (only found out was pg Thursday night) he has come and sat on me. Like literally on me. The nearest he normally comes is next to me on the sofa. But always stays on the other side.

CoodleMoodle Sat 13-Jan-18 12:33:14

Yes, I think so. Some of them can anyway. My DM has two cats (family pets, we got them when I was a teenager) and whenever I went to hers when I was pregnant with DD, the boy cat would be all over me. Normally he's only really interested in DM but he'd walk straight past her to cuddle up to me. When DD was born he went back to ignoring me. Girl cat wasn't anymore interested than normal, but she's pretty oblivious generally grin

13 weeks with DC2, have seen them a couple of times and neither of them are bothered yet.

Oysterbabe Sat 13-Jan-18 12:59:59

You tend to run a bit warmer while pregnant which does make you a cat magnet.

ElizabethLemon Sat 13-Jan-18 13:01:09

When I first found out I was pregnant my cat was all over me like a rash. She kept coming right up and sitting next to me purring 😊. I’m 20 weeks now and she’s not so bothered but still does it occasionally.

ElizabethLemon Sat 13-Jan-18 13:01:50

And congratulations!

cricketqueen Sat 13-Jan-18 13:04:23

Ever since I found out I was pg my girl cat has not left me alone. It was nice at first but now it's just annoying. I miss her aloofness and contempt haha.

Loosemoose28 Sat 13-Jan-18 13:05:45

My 2 dogs definitely know. Now one of them can feel kicks he lays his head on me all the time wagging is tail as he gets booted smile.

iklboo Sat 13-Jan-18 13:06:54

Really weird, but we went to Blue Planet aquarium when I was about 20 weeks pregnant with DS. At every tank we stopped at all the fish in it swam up to where I was & just stayed in front of me like they were looking at me. Once I moved, they went back to normal. It was freaky.

coastalchick Sat 13-Jan-18 13:11:53

Omg that's so weird re the fish!

Mad how pets can seem to know!

Thanks for the congrats!

RosieCotton Sat 13-Jan-18 14:00:31

I don't really have any experience with cats but dogs definitely do. My mother in law has an old dog, she isn't into affection so much but since we found out I'm expecting she has been sitting on my feet, she follows me everywhere she will sleep beside my bed. So I'm sure dogs can tell x

LisaSimpsonsbff Sat 13-Jan-18 14:31:17

Our cats - who are very affectionate little souls - have not shown any signs at all of changed behaviour since I've been pregnant. They are not very bright, even for cats, however.

MrsCaecilius Sat 13-Jan-18 14:42:09

I know that cheetahs can smell the hormones and know!

Creamcheeseontoast Sat 13-Jan-18 14:58:42

My in laws dog definitely does. She doesn't leave my side...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: