Advanced search


(12 Posts)
Smo9 Fri 12-Jan-18 22:05:23

I've just found out that I am pregnant. I live in a one bedroom house with my partner that I privately rent. It is very small with two of us let alone a baby. My council took me off the register a few months ago as I had moved to another area and no longer have a local connection to anywhere as I have lived in my current house for less than 2 years and my partner has worked in the area for less than 2 years. Is there any way the council will help me now I am pregnant? I'm really worried as I cannot afford to privately rent a 2 bed in this area.
Thank you!

cestlavielife Fri 12-Jan-18 22:09:22

You can live with a baby in a one bed .
For several years.
Wait til baby is born then 're apply.

DonnyAndVladSittingInATree Fri 12-Jan-18 22:09:43

Surely you’ll be fine where you are for a few years. The baby will be sleeping with you for at least 6 months but no problem being in your room for a couple of years really. Have a big declutter and get rid of all superfluous stuff. Streamline your living space wrt furniture etc. Once baby needs it’s own room you and partner can get a sofa bed in living room and sleep there and give baby the bedroom. That’ll give you a few years to save up for a 2 bed place.

UnderTheSleepingBaby Fri 12-Jan-18 22:36:29

Once baby is here and old enough to need its own room (I use the term need loosely, probably at least 1yr old) you could apply to the council due to over crowding but unless you are in an area with surplus council housing (these are almost nonexistent) then you would likely wait years as you would be very low priority. You would potentially then be offered a property in an area you don't want to live in and if you turned it down they would usually take you off the waiting list anyway.
You'd be much better off saving up and looking at areas you can afford, but it does depend on your council, some people get lucky

Smo9 Fri 12-Jan-18 22:58:38

Where I am currently won't allow me to stay after my contract ends due to exceeding the 2 person limit. I was worrying that this would be the case with a lot of one bed places. I will try and find another which will! Thank you ladies for your responses!

DonnyAndVladSittingInATree Fri 12-Jan-18 23:01:44

How pregnant are you? I’m guessing You’ve got a few months to save up a deposit for a new place. Some one bed places won’t have a 2 person limit. Also look at cheaper areas if possible for work commuting etc. Btw. Your current landlord mightn’t renew your contract but you don’t have to go when it’s up. If you haven’t found anywhere by the time they want you out just stay and let them have you evicted. That way they will
Have made you homeless and the council will have a responsibility to house you.

MeadowHay Fri 12-Jan-18 23:22:50

Your current LL may be willing to do a new contract without the 2 person limit when the time comes, especially if you're good tenants and always pay on time. If you're happy where you are I would discuss this with them later down the line. But right now I wouldn't panic about it at all, perhaps start saving for a deposit in case you do need to move. Plenty of people live in 1-bed flats with babies/toddlers, it's not that big a deal. My parents had me in a 1-bed flat until I was about 2.

RosieCotton Fri 12-Jan-18 23:56:08

I'm not sure about your council bit a majority near me state if you have no connections to an area then you can apply at your previous council so long as you lived there for 3 out of the last 5 years.

So if you have lived in your previous council for 3 years and have ties such as family work or friends there then legally they can't stop you from applying at that council, unfortunately if you have lived where you are for 2years and 1 month when you apply then legally they don't have to accept your application, in other words apply ASAP or they will reject your application.

I hope that helps or even makes sense.

Namechanger2735 Sat 13-Jan-18 21:07:55

I applied when it was me, my partner and a 1 year old and was eligible for a 1 bed.
It may depend on your council but I think they have to be a few years old to 'need' their own room

Princesspinkgirl Sat 13-Jan-18 22:56:15

Most councils will agree your overcrowded with a baby but... if working they wont be as eager to help you unfortunately

DwangelaForever Sat 13-Jan-18 23:02:15

@cestlavielife you cannot live with a baby in a one bed for years 😶 I'm struggling with a toddler in a tiny two bed, can't wait to move.

It's not even that they take up room it's the stuff that comes with babies. Clothes, play mats, bouncy chairs, walkers, ride ons etc and all the toys and books. Can't wait to have a spare room when I move!

cestlavielife Sun 14-Jan-18 11:17:29

You can.
Less stuff use libraries parks etc.

It s a struggle with stuff but you can and many people live with little space. Espec in london. If you have a separate kitchen then living room plus bedroom will not be seen as overcrowded.

It s desirable and easier with spare rooms of course it is . but it s not impossible to have two parents and a typical baby /toddler/ small child in a one bed flat.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: