Talk

Advanced search

Fundal height accuracy

(7 Posts)
GYMBALL Fri 12-Jan-18 19:04:47

How accurate are fundal height measurements ?
I'm 30 weeks but measuring 35 . This is my 5th pregnancy and my last two babies were over 10lb so not exactly tiny . I also have diastisis recti and I'm overweight . Can this affect fundal measurement ? Or does it mean my dates are out ? I had an early ultrasound at 6 weeks as well as the 12 week one so I'm not sure how my dates could be wrong .
I had a growth scan at 28 weeks and baby is on 90th centile

RosieCotton Fri 12-Jan-18 20:46:02

I don't really think they are that accurate. I was told all the way through with my third he was on the 90% line I had scans and measurements. They ended up delivering him a week early at 7lb. Hardly the biggest of babies taking into account my first born was 9lb1oz

HandbagFan Fri 12-Jan-18 21:50:24

The measurements are nearly useless especially if you’re overweight. And it bears no relevance to your due date - this is set by your 12 weeks scan and not by how big your tummy gets.

Loosemoose28 Fri 12-Jan-18 21:55:14

Fundal height is subjective. Most accurate when performed by same midwife/ doctor throughout.

April45 Sat 13-Jan-18 05:12:29

Load of rubbish - totally inaccurate for us!

Somersetter Sat 13-Jan-18 05:17:31

I know they're very helpful for picking up "small for dates" babies but don't know to what extent they're affected by being overweight.

mummyG2C Sat 13-Jan-18 13:27:00

At my 28 week apt last month I was measuring 6 weeks ahead! It's my second baby, am not overweight or have any issues had urgent scan baby was measuring bang on maybe a week or so ahead but water levels all normal and everything so I think a midwife with a measuring tape is really not very accurate at all so I wouldn't worry at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now