Talk

Advanced search

bleeding hematoma in early pregnancy

(16 Posts)
kakes12 Thu 11-Jan-18 20:38:59

Hello,

I've had a rough few weeks and really looking for some advice/positive experiences of people who might have been through this...

I'm currently 10weeks 4days pregnant. On Christmas Eve (so at 8 weeks) I had a massive, sudden, what can only be described as "gush" of fresh blood. It lasted for about 3 hours and then eased off. No pain, no clots. At the hospital I was told I was most likely having an "inevitable miscarriage" but couldn't be scanned because of it being Christmas Eve. Low and behold, 3 days later I was completely shocked and delighted to see that baby was doing just fine! No explanation for the bleed could be found.

Fast forward to this week and I had another scan to try and put my mind at ease. Baby still developing as expected but this time I've been told I have a "small" hematoma measuring about 2.5cm. It's on the other side of my uterus from baby, and the sonographer said it's likely to bleed out or be reabsorbed over the next wee while.

In addition to the massive bleed, I've had brown spotting pretty much all through the entire pregnancy, which I guess is just old blood from the hematoma.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and had a positive outcome? The sonographer didn't seem overly concerned but I'm in a bit of a heightened state of anxiety after the huge bleed I had a few weeks ago. My big 12 week scan is in 2 weeks, so just trying to remain calm and take it day by day....

Thanks! xxx

frogsoup Thu 11-Jan-18 20:41:00

I've had hematomas in pregnancy with all 3 of my kids. So worrying - I thought I'd lost them so many countless times - but odds are good for a happy outcome. Hang on in there!

lookingforthecorkscrew Thu 11-Jan-18 20:43:42

Hello! Fellow haematoma sufferer here! I had my first bleed at 12 weeks and have just stopped bleeding at 17 weeks. Like you, I had a ‘gush’ - which terrified me - then brown/rusty bleeding for five weeks. I’ve had a couple of scans since the first big bleed and baby seemed fine at each one, and was growing normally.

I stopped bleeding at the weekend. I’m praying the haematoma has gone now, but I guess I won’t know for sure until my 20 week scan.

It is scary and horrible but not necessarily threatening your baby. Try to stay calm and reassure yourself. Don’t be ashamed to contact your EGU if you are at all concerned.

choccybiscuit Thu 11-Jan-18 20:47:59

Yes. I've had bleeding from 9-14 weeks of brown, pink and bright red bleeds. Biggest was at 10 weeks and was seriously expecting them to say the baby had gone but was absolutely fine! Baby is now nine months ols and asleep upstairs.

ClareB83 Thu 11-Jan-18 20:52:32

I had big bleeds at 9 and 11 weeks with a subchorionic bleed. Babies were fine both times and currently doing well at 20 weeks.

Itsjustaphase84 Thu 11-Jan-18 20:54:46

Bleeds at 7 and 9 weeks. No problems throughout. Currently have my 12 day baby in my arms.

kakes12 Fri 12-Jan-18 18:21:05

Thank you so much for your replies. They've given me a lot of reassurance and have helped me feel more positive. Just need to practice deep breaths for the next couple of weeks and hope that things are looking good at my 12 week scan. Great to hear that hematomas aren't so rare and that generally there's a good outcome :-)

Hulaballoo Fri 12-Jan-18 18:44:18

With my 2nd DD I had a small bleed at 7 weeks and all was fine then at 13 weeks a big bleed, gush of blood, threatened miscarriage but when checked out, it was a haematoma... Baby was fine and didn't have any other bleeds after that...dd2 is upstairs and her loud and bubbly self. It was one of the most scariest times but it ended well. It's definitely possible that it's just a pocket of blood that needs to come out and doesn't affect baby. Xx

smerlin Fri 12-Jan-18 18:46:01

I also had a a hematoma and lots of bleeding - baby was fine in the end and now a bouncy 4 year old! Stay positive!

897654321abcvrufhfgg Fri 12-Jan-18 18:57:26

Had a huge bleed at 14+6, convinced I had lost my baby. Bleeding lasted 6 hours on and off. Spotting for next 3 days. Scan 5 days later showed a huge haematoma still there. Mine was absorbed at 20w scam and my daughter was born at 40+1 with no further issues the rest of the preganancy. Good luck. Xx

kakes12 Fri 12-Jan-18 22:13:12

Thanks everyone.

@897654321abcvrufhfgg - it's good to hear that it can also just be reabsorbed. I'm a teacher so walking around all day in fear of another "gush" has made the situation even more anxiety-inducing. Still spotting. Hoping that whatever is there will just work it's way out like that.

x

kakes12 Fri 12-Jan-18 22:15:23

@lookingforthecorkscrew - sorry you've had a rough time of it too. I know how horrible seeing any kind of blood is. I've got everything crossed that it's all away by your 20 week scan. x

fitbitbore Fri 12-Jan-18 22:23:05

I had exactly the same small one on the other side which bled and gished out for 7/8 weeks til I was just past 12 weeks. Went on to have a healthy little one.

Sarahduckobsessive Fri 12-Jan-18 22:31:37

I had a subchorionic haematoma and bled from 6-16 weeks. It was very frightening - i was sure I had miscarried for the first couple of weeks, but that same baby is healthy nearing its sixth birthday. Surprisingly common I found out afterwards. Hang on in there.

Babykoala1 Sat 13-Jan-18 16:29:22

Hey, I can't offer you much reassurance as I am currently going through similar and don't know the outcome! But I am keeping my fingers crossed for us both. I am 17+4 and woke up to a very large bleed on Boxing Day at 15 weeks, I have never seen so much blood in my life and I was utterly convinced I was miscarrying. I had an emergency scan and to my disbelief baby was bouncing around with a strong heartbeat. The bleeding was put down to a large hematoma and I have been told to take it easy, no heavy lifting etc. (Very hard with a 1 year old!)

I am very anxious but the doctors and midwives don't seem too concerned and think it will resolve itself. I am trying to think positive as it seems lots and lots of women with hematomas go on to have healthy pregnancies. Hopefully they will offer you more scans throughout to put your mind at ease, or even better and it will have been absorbed by your 12 week scan. Wishing you all the best thanks

MelvinThePenguin Sat 13-Jan-18 16:36:05

My twice “miscarried” baby is asleep upstairs.

I had a 14 day period, which didn’t feel right. Turns out I was pregnant. GP said it was an early miscarriage. EPU found a normal looking 5 week old fetus. Confirmed as viable at 7 weeks.

At 8 weeks I had the huge gush you described. Ended up in A&E. EPU the next day found a heartbeat but a big (much bigger than yours) hematoma.

At 12 weeks the hematoma had got bigger.

At 20 weeks the hematoma had gone. 28 week double check showed normal growth.

My daughter has a small, temporary birth mark (strawberry hermangioma) which may be related to the placental issues. A minuscule price to pay for her life and health.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now