Talk

Advanced search

Being induced?

(25 Posts)
Newmummytobe2018 Thu 11-Jan-18 12:30:48

Hi mums! It’s my due date today and nothing seems to be happening. My whole pregnancy I have been worried I am going to be induced this is my first and I’m trying everything I can to avoid being induced. Does anyone have any positive stories on being induced to put my mind at ease. Thanks ladies

gryffen Thu 11-Jan-18 13:41:02

Hiya

Yeah I was induced in 2014 with my first and loved it down to the staff being awesome and just going with the roll of it.

I had 2x pressaries on the Friday when admitted, water broken in labour room at 5pm Saturday and she was born on 7.50am Sunday.

No complications for me or baby, I asked for an episiotimy as I knew I would tear and had painkillers on hand at all times.

Midwife was amazing, male consultant was funny as hell and happy to repeat.

MilfordFound Thu 11-Jan-18 13:54:48

I was induced at 40+9. I'd had a couple of sweeps and apparently was firmly closed!
I went into hospital in the afternoon, i had the pessary put in about 7pm and was told nothing would happen and they'd probably repeat it the next day before moving onto a drip.

My partner went home at 11pm (midwife suggested he go home and have a good night sleep, as nothing was going to happen, rather than try and sleep on the chair). At midnight I woke up with my waters breaking. Partner had just arrived home and had to come straight back. I had light contractions for a few hours, went and had a bath while waiting for a delivery suite to become available.

Contractions ramped up and I had an epidural the next morning. I think I had the drip at some point in the afternoon, I can't remember. I had the baby at 10.41pm that evening. There were a few complications, but not as a result of the induction. I had a midwife during the night who was lovely. A fantastic newly qualified midwife during the day who was amazing, really advocated for me when doctors where suggesting things. Then I had a different midwife for the last couple of hours. They were all great.

The induction itself, for me, was not stressful. Me and my partner had a really nice 'last' evening, listening to music while waiting for something to happen.

Newmummytobe2018 Thu 11-Jan-18 14:54:28

Thank you ladies you have put me a ease a little! I just don’t like the idea of being on a drip throughout my labour

Bellamuerte Thu 11-Jan-18 15:05:29

I'm terrified of being induced, which is what they're threatening to do if I don't go into labour shortly. Surely if baby hasn't made his own appearance then he isn't ready? I'm particularly concerned about how the drugs to induce labour could set off the "cascade of intervention" whereby the drugs cause intense contractions which cause baby to become distressed and result in forceps or an unwanted caesarean etc. I just want to give birth naturally sad

Girlwiththearabstrap Thu 11-Jan-18 15:51:15

I was induced at 34 weeks so obviously nowhere near ready for baby to come naturally and there was no cascade of intervention. It doesn't always follow that you'll need loads of interventions.
I had an epidural because I found the pain quite hard to handle and I was already on 2 drips so couldn't move much.

Start to finish took about 8 hours overall. I had an episiotomy which healed quickly and had great medical care.

Situp Thu 11-Jan-18 15:56:31

I am Just giving this for information with no personal view either way about induction, but my cousin was allowed to go 18 days over last year. She attended clinic every day and had her placenta monitored and all was fine.

It may be something to discuss with your MW as there may be more flexibility available.

My DS was born without induction at 40+12.

Situp Thu 11-Jan-18 15:59:14

I am one of 6 kids and every one of us was induced and my mum was born at 40+28 because they couldn't induce back then. I do think that some of us have a longer gestation than others and as long as the medical team are happy, induction isn't a foregone conclusion.

Newmummytobe2018 Thu 11-Jan-18 16:03:04

I would love for him to be born this weekend but I’m not having any pains whatsoever infact I feel great the best Iv felt through out my whole pregnancy. Never thought I would say bring on the labour pains!!

fastfrank Thu 11-Jan-18 16:35:37

I was induced at 35+5. Had my waters broken at about 5pm, was pushing at 2am but ended up with EMCS at 4am as baby was in wrong position and wouldn't come out!

Bellamuerte Sat 13-Jan-18 14:15:19

I was under the impression that baby could be born from 38 weeks onwards and the due date was more like a final deadline. But the midwife told me that's not the case and there's a 50/50 chance of baby being born two weeks before or two weeks after the due date. She said if everything is fine they'll do a sweep at 40 weeks but probably won't do a medical induction until 10-12 days after the due date.

Namechanger2735 Sat 13-Jan-18 21:04:38

I went for a sweep at 41 weeks, mw 'suspected' preeclampsia, done sweep anyway and sent me to hospital to have a few tests. I was then booked in to come back the next morning to be induced, went home, had dinner and started leaking greeny/brown stuff. Rang hospital and they said to come in as it sounded like DD had pooed, got there and she had. All I needed was one lot of gel and she was born a few hours later! Baring in mind I wasn't at all dilated when I got there, infact heard the mw say -4?? It happened really quickly and as far as labours and births go it couldn't have gone much better!

Newmummytobe2018 Sat 13-Jan-18 21:16:02

Still no baby I’m going insane

Ihatemarmite123 Sat 13-Jan-18 22:30:45

I had an induction at 36 weeks with my first. It was fine. I wasn't attached to the drip for long 30 minutes max and he was out. I had 2 pessaries, one Friday, one Saturday, waters broken by midwife on the Monday afternoon. No contractions so was put on the drip and 30 minutes later after a couple of little pushes he was born. I had no pain relief

I'm hoping for an induction this time smile

Sleeeeeepy Sat 13-Jan-18 23:35:46

You have a choice whether to be induced, you can refuse if you don't agree with it.

I was induced with my son, my waters went and I didn't make it into active labour. I had a pessary which didn't do anything, then the drip. At that point I had an epidural, but I could control how much I had so let it wear off to push. Whole thing was very surreal but nothing at all like I feared induction would be.

Lots of people go into labour between 40 and 42 weeks naturally. It might feel like forever but treat yourself, have a massage or go for a nice lunch. I'm preggo with number 2 and hoping to be a bit late so I get some time 'off' while DS is still at nursery!x

Loosemoose28 Sat 13-Jan-18 23:39:15

Have a read of this link

www.midwifery.org.uk/articles/induction-of-labour-and-post-dates-pregnancy/

AvoidingDM Sat 13-Jan-18 23:55:31

I had pessary at 10pm, again at 8am, couple of paracetamol, hot bath and baby born at 1pm - to a shocked mummy who'd no idea baby was so close.

Incidently my friend has a very similar story although I don't think she got as far as the 2nd pessary.

SellMySoulForSomeSleep Sun 14-Jan-18 00:07:03

I've had two labours. One induced. One not.

If I had a 3rd never again mind you I'd happily be induced. Was induced as waters had broke 24 hours earlier but gone no further than 2cm. 6hrs after pessary DC arrived.

I had gas and air and a shot of pethidene. Only a slight tear and graze. Pretty sure I didn't have stitches.

Yes the contractions where on top of one another but at least it was over quickly!

GrapesAreMyJam Sun 14-Jan-18 07:58:17

I'm being induced today. I'm 37 weeks. Extremely nervous as I just don't know what to expect

Namechanger2735 Sun 14-Jan-18 08:53:43

Good luck grapes. You will, but try not to worry..if anything an induction is less of a guessing game than going into labour naturally, it's controlled and you'll be fine!

Rhynswynd Sun 14-Jan-18 09:09:20

I had my baby 10 days ago. She was 10 days overdue and I had had enough of it all. I was induced/drip started at 1030am, at 1130am I was in established labour and DD was born at 306pm. I only had G&A (not through choice, but no time for the good stuff). Absolutely no intervention at all. In fact, I made them turn the drip off at 230pm because it was making my contractions too intense. After they turned it off the pain became quickly manageable again and she arrived. Perfect and healthy and she is just amazing.

I was fully mobile with the drip and was in the shower for pain relief at one point with it.

I think induction was necessary in my case as she was a big baby (not my biggest) and there was some argument between me and my obstetrician over her due date. Just because labour does not start spontaneously does not mean baby is not ready to arrive and could lead to the complications you dread if you put it off too long.

katmarie Sun 14-Jan-18 11:30:01

This might be a silly question, but is it possible to still have a water birth if you're being induced? Thanks x

Namechanger2735 Sun 14-Jan-18 13:20:39

I wanted a water birth but was only not allowed one as DD had pooed so they didn't know if she'd need to be rushed off, no one said anything about not being able to because of being induced..I'd ask your mw

Sleeeeeepy Sun 14-Jan-18 17:06:38

@katmarie Yes, unless you're on the drip. The midwives kept saying I might still have a water birth when I had a pessary. If things get going and you go into active labour then it's business as usual, but on the drip you need continuous monitoring so can't be in the water.

SadieContrary Sun 14-Jan-18 17:18:30

I was induced. It was a breeze, promise! I think it's cos I felt like I'd regained some control by having a half idea when it was happening. 10 hours start to finish.
Regardless of being induced or not OP (as experiences different for all), the best you can do for yourself is try not to worry. You're gonna give birth to your baby one way or another. Stressing won't change that so save your energy for what happens when it happens. Good luck, you'll be grand!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now