Talk

Advanced search

Haematoma

(16 Posts)
RainbowsAndUnicorns23 Sun 17-Dec-17 13:45:51

Has anyone else had this in pregnancy and what was your outcome?

I had an early scan 2 weeks ago after bleeding, they said i had a haematoma and could see a gestational sac and yolk sac so to go back 2 weeks later. Went for the follow up scan and saw the fetal pole with a heartbeat but still the haemotoma. They did say its nothing to worry about, but i can't help but worry! It could either bleed out or be absorbed.

Just looking for anyone who has had the same? Or can give any advice please x

PaintingByNumbers Sun 17-Dec-17 13:47:32

I had repeated bleeds in second pregnancy from hematomas, but all was fine, ds is a healthy 14 year old now. It was a stressful pregnancy because of the worry though.

RainbowsAndUnicorns23 Sun 17-Dec-17 13:55:11

This is my second as well, my first i had no problems.

Do u remember if you were told no sex etc? I forgot to ask about rest, walking, sex. Wishing i did now.

Thanks for your reply.

PaintingByNumbers Sun 17-Dec-17 14:26:44

I was told different things, sometimes to rest, sometimes that it didnt matter. I think they would have said if it was important to rest, but on the other hand it feels like something you can do to help. I was told no heavy lifting.

ineedamoreadultieradult Sun 17-Dec-17 14:30:17

I had a large haematoma and lots of very heavy bleeding with my second and he is now a happy healthy 7 year old. I don't think they mentioned anything about sex but I enforced a self imposed sex ban just to be on the safe side.

Veggiehappy Sun 17-Dec-17 14:46:58

i found out i have a small one too when i started bleeding at 7 ish weeks
Doctor told me i might get more bleeding but not to worry about it. I think light bleeding lasted another week or so but touch wood i haven't had any more. I wqsnt given any advice like to rest or anything, bit i have tried to take it easy since then!

I have my 12 and a bit week scan next week and am just keeping everything crossed that its okay! I read on internet that small ones can reabsorbed bleed out and have less complications than bigger ones!

Goodluck im sure you will be fine! I will keep fingers crossed for us both!

ClareB83 Sun 17-Dec-17 16:45:21

I had really big bleeds at 9+3 and 11+3. Babies were fine both times and I'm now 16+2.

I was told to rest - not lift anything, take it easy and no sex for two weeks. But my bleed was really big: 8cm x 4cm. They might not have said this if it was smaller.

Had it measured recently at 4cm x 1cm, so steadily shrinking. Hope it'll be all gone by 20 weeks.

JoeMaplin Sun 17-Dec-17 16:48:54

Yes I had this. It was there at 6, 8 and 12 week scans but had disapeered by 20 weeks, must have been absorbed. Dd is now 14.5. It was a horribly worrying time, thinking of you.

boatrace30 Sun 17-Dec-17 18:11:15

I had it, discovered after a huge bleed at 6weeks. I was told no sex or exercise (apart from walking and swimming) until 16weeks.
I continued to bleed lightly until about 10weeks but think some of it was absorbed.
It's very stressful. Try not to panic if you bleed. Did they say where it was in relation to the baby?

DeltaG Sun 17-Dec-17 19:05:26

Yes, I had a large subchorionic haematoma that was discovered around 5 weeks when I started bleeding. I thought it was a miscarriage at first. At that time, it was larger than the foetal pole & sac and I was told it could go either way. By about 20 weeks it had gone completely and everything turned out fine. He's 22 months old now!

RainbowsAndUnicorns23 Sun 17-Dec-17 21:53:12

The haematoma is superior to the gestational sac.. I'm not sure what that means?

Thank you for all your replies, the positive storys help and to anyone else with same thing fingers crossed for us. Its awful worrying!

Mileymoocow Mon 18-Dec-17 09:05:41

I haven't got any advice but at going through the same thing. 7+2 and bleeding heavily. Went for a scan on Friday, they saw a foetal pole and heartbeat but baby was measuring over a week behind. I was told no sex, and have a follow up scan on 29th

sparechange Mon 18-Dec-17 11:13:46

I had a large SCH with my current pregnancy, which was discovered at about 11 weeks when I had a big bleed.
It was classified as 'large' meaning it was more than 50% of the gestational sac and I was advised to take it easy, with a total ban on sex, baths and swimming.

I bled on and off until about 16 weeks and had fortnightly scans to keep an eye on it and the baby. By 20 weeks, it had totally disappeared/been reabsorbed and the baby was totally unaware of any of the drama!

The main thing the doctors kept an eye on was the growth of the baby, as there is a chance it can interfere with the placenta and therefore the ability of the fetus to grow and develop.
There is also a slightly increased chance of miscarriage if it continues to grow so you want to to get regular scans to check it is shrinking.
I paid for a few extras for peace of mind and am very glad I did

RainbowsAndUnicorns23 Mon 18-Dec-17 19:13:52

I haven't been told really anything, the epu have just discharged me back to GP/MW. So doesn't seem like, for now at least, i am being monitored.

If yours has now gone, are you treated as just a normal pregnancy or still been kept a closer eye on?

sparechange Mon 18-Dec-17 19:30:58

I had an additional growth scan at 28 weeks, because like I said, there are concerns that the haematoma can impact on growth
But everything was completely fine

ClareB83 Mon 18-Dec-17 20:21:31

I get extra scans anyway because it's twins, so I don't know if they would have asked for an extra one as a result of the bleed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now