Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

When to buy new bras

(16 Posts)
LisaSimpsonsbff Sat 16-Dec-17 22:12:08

I'm currently 9 weeks pregnant. Happened to glance in the mirror as I was taking my top and then bra off and noticed that in my only bra that is currently at all comfortable: a) my nipples are half out of the cups because it's so small b) it's leaving red welts across my breasts where it's cutting in. I had been in denial about this (for various reasons I'm particularly nervous about this pregnancy and so reluctant to do or buy anything as it feels like tempting fate) but I need to buy new bras, right? But then... do I? Are they going to keep growing (I think my - pretty modest - breasts might have gone up a cup size), and if so would it be stupid to buy new bras now if I'm going to have to do it again later? When did people switch to maternity bras? It feels ridiculously early to do it now!

LunaNightSky Sat 16-Dec-17 22:19:13

I'm not too far along but I knew I was pregnant instantly when I woke up the day my period was due and my boobs were huge and felt bruised!

I've bought a two pack of soft sport bra like ones from Sainsbury's for the time being. I think they'll grow more so I plan to go get measured and some proper supportive ones in a few weeks.

Casmama Sat 16-Dec-17 22:22:57

When they are uncomfortable you need to buy new. I found that I needed new bras about 7 or 8 weeks in but then was fine in that size until I went for non- underwired about 30 weeks I think.

Snowman41 Sat 16-Dec-17 22:26:06

You buy them as and when you need them, just like you would if you were not pregnant.

LRL2017 Sat 16-Dec-17 22:27:27

I got mine really early on I think about 6-7 weeks as I couldn't stand the underwire anymore! Go and get some, nothing worse than being uncomfortable.

DailyMaileatmyshit Sat 16-Dec-17 22:50:59

I bought new bras every 6-10 weeks, just one black and one white cheapo ones I wasn't in them long. I stayed in underwired ones as I don't like non-underwire.

Firstchild7 Sun 17-Dec-17 00:00:00

Personally I have brought those bra extenders that make then bigger just clip it on to the back of ur bra, can get them off ebay have worked well for me

Sashkin Sun 17-Dec-17 01:31:09

I found that my breasts practically doubled in size in the first trimester, but then stayed the same until my milk came in so I only needed two sets of bras.

I bought new ones at about 10 weeks, and then some nursing croptops and shelf vests at 30 weeks. They were shit though, so I stayed in the 10 week bras (which actually fit fine until my milk came in), and bought nice Anita underwired nursing bras about six weeks after having DS which I’m still wearing nine months later.

In terms of size, I went from a 30E pre-pregnancy to a 30G while pregnant, then a 30H when breastfeeding. I’m probably back to a 30G now, hopefully will shrink back to normal when DS weans himself.

Ninjamilo Sun 17-Dec-17 02:08:11

I bought new bras at around 8 weeks and have stayed around the same size since then - now 21 weeks.

Although I live in crop top bras a lot of the time, they're just so much more comfortable!

LisaSimpsonsbff Sun 17-Dec-17 10:00:42

Ok, great, thanks all! Sorry to those who evidently thought it was a silly question, but I just wanted to check that people wouldn't say that I'd end up buying new bras every couple of weeks if I started now.

mindutopia Sun 17-Dec-17 15:31:43

I would get some. Personally, my boobs have never changed significantly in size in pregnancy, but I've been in well fitting bras to start. Likely you'll want to switch to nursing bras anyway if you plan to bf or even if you don't something else that's more comfortable, so you'll end up getting more towards the end of your pregnancy anyway and can adjust size then. But I would definitely get some that fit now.

BigBaboonBum Sun 17-Dec-17 18:26:36

I wear sleeping bras (or whatever like it) until about 35 weeks and then get fitted properly for maternity bras

EastDulwichWife Mon 18-Dec-17 11:08:45

I've been using back extenders from weeks 8-16 and I just bought two new ones yesterday. Went for my normal size in maternity/nursing range, and could barely do the thing up! Currently wearing non-underwired (2 for £30, M&S) that I bought yesterday and feel SO much more comfortable! Wish I had done it weeks ago.

Eggybod Tue 19-Dec-17 19:05:01

If it helps, I got an unexpected second use out of my bras - Mine basically got bigger and bigger from 6 weeks. They were something to behold, I practically used up the whole alphabet, which was pretty impressive given that I’m small and wear a 28” (back size) bra! I had to move to soft cup straight away because I had nerve pain over my ribs and underwire was too painful. After I gave birth and went through the engirged stage and moved into normal breastfeeding, they slowly went back to normal size and I worked back down through all the bras I bought in pregnancy. I’m unfortunately now flatter than when I started, three years since! Good luck! Xx

Lou1324 Tue 19-Dec-17 21:25:48

You'll be constantly buying new bras, throughout pregnancy, sleep bras as couldn't stand going to bed without one, then nursing bras, then smaller bras when you stop breastfeeding and lose the baby weight! Just one of those things! I have a draw full and only 2 fit me (currently 32 weeks with dc2)

Jazzysunshine Thu 21-Dec-17 18:36:36

I went to get measured at 11/12 weeks at M&s (you book an appointment online). They were very good and encouraged me to get a slightly larger size (which fit comfortably) and it's seen me through until now (37+4) and I bought my nursing bras today. Had an appointment at M&s again about two weeks ago and they said wait until around 38 weeks and get a bra with a bit of wrinkle (so there's some room) for when your milk comes in. With the nursing bras they say fit them on the biggest hook as your ribcage will get smaller after birth and allow room to go up a cup size. Hope this helps. smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: