Talk

Advanced search

Can a chest infection cause miscarridge?

(8 Posts)
Anxiousally Sat 16-Dec-17 06:01:23

I'm 16 weeks pg and I have a chest infection. I feel vile but the nhs website says most chest infections will clear on their own but my anxiety is playing up and I'm worried it could cause a miscarridge.
Tell me I'm being bonkers please? Am I?

noodlesandtomatoes Sat 16-Dec-17 06:06:01

Completely bonkers.... don't see your logic at all. Baby is fine, completely separate and protected. Just keep up your fluids and look after yourself.

Playintime Sat 16-Dec-17 06:08:48

Do you know I have been going through the exact same thing. I had a bad cold which developed into a chest infection for which I got anti bioctics from the doctor. I was terribly ill and just starting to recover. I have worked myself into an absolute state as I had a miscarriage earlier this year and now am convinced that this baby isn’t there anymore. It doesn’t help that I don’t get many symptoms in pregnancies so I have no idea if everything is okay or not. I couldn’t sleep all night. I have booked a quick reassurance scan for this morning to put my mind at ease. I am almost 18 weeks so not far off from you. I am sorry you are suffering too. I completely understand you. Can you book a private scan to put your mind at ease? I hope you recover soon as well.

Anxiousally Sat 16-Dec-17 06:14:05

Aw Play it's awful isnt it!
I'm sure all will be fine at your scan best of luck to you.
We have one booked on the 22nd it was to find out the sex of baby but now I jist can't wait to see that everything is ok. I jist feel so rubbish but yes need to remind myself that baby is in its own safe little bubble haha.

Playintime Sat 16-Dec-17 06:20:23

Yes yes it’s awfully awful grin but chances are that baby is fine like you said and that’s what we need to remember although it’s so hard to just do that. With my son, I was so naive and sailed through the pregnancy but this time am such a mess.
Look after yourself and 22nd not long to go, that will cheer you up for Xmas! If you are still feeling rough go to the doctor for a check up on your chest. Don’t worry too much flowers

mindutopia Sat 16-Dec-17 11:37:39

No, not unless you are dreadfully ill, like in hospital, close to death. I'm asthmatic and have had a chest infection for 2 weeks. It really does clear on it's own in most cases. I get them a lot and have hardly ever needed antibiotics, even with asthma. My tummy muscles are extra sore from all the coughing, but no, you should be fine. If you become really, really, deathly ill, it would be a concern, but not for a normal sort of routine infection that doesn't leave you in hospital.

thepatchworkcat Sat 16-Dec-17 11:39:44

I had whooping cough in my first pregnancy and worried about the horrible painful hacking cough that I was doing 24/7 for many weeks. It was not pleasant. But everyone/medical people reassured me that baby was very well protected in there and indeed he was fine. Hope you feel better soon flowers

QueenAravisOfArchenland Sat 16-Dec-17 11:42:49

A healthy, viable pregnancy can be dislodged by only two things: a) a mother who is literally on the brink of death - seriously, a woman's body fights to preserve a healthy pregnancy right up to the point that the woman will die unless the strain is reduced a bit; or b) powerful abortifacient drugs.

A chest infection might make you feel rubbish, but it won't touch the pregnancy at all. Don't worry.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: