Talk

Advanced search

Health visitor appointment

(10 Posts)
MRSTIGERTOES Fri 15-Dec-17 16:45:06

Had a letter through yesterday from a local health visitor with an appt for January for a chat before baby is born in Feb. My midwife hasn't mentioned anything about any health visitor so do I really need to see them as well? What are people's experiences? Doesn't say how long appt is for, just says it is to discuss the pregnancy and baby's health.

AhWoof Fri 15-Dec-17 16:49:34

They will introduce themselves because you’ll see them a few times after the birth. Will ask you tons of questions to find out if you need any extra support - e.g. about your family background, mental health, relationship with your partner. As far as I understand, it’s an appointment about you, whereas the midwife appointments are about the baby. I didn’t particularly like my health visitor. But it’s probably a good idea to go to the appointment.

QueenAravisOfArchenland Fri 15-Dec-17 17:17:55

As far as I understand, it’s an appointment about you, whereas the midwife appointments are about the baby.

Sort of the opposite actually. HVs are responsible for the health and care of every child under 5 in the country. They introduce themselves before birth because they'll be taking over monitoring of you and your baby as soon as you're discharged by the midwives post birth. They also look to get a general view of your situation i.e. is this a wanted pregnancy coming into a stable relationship, or a single mother struggling with physical/mental health, or any conceivable situation a baby could be born into, as this influences what yours and baby's needs for support after birth are likely to be.

You can decline HV involvement if you like, it's optional, but IMO you might as well meet her. Some are great, some aren't, like every profession.

mindutopia Fri 15-Dec-17 17:21:20

It's perfectly routine. The midwife and HV don't really speak or have anything to do with each other, completely different services and offices. But yes, it's something that's offered to all mums just before babies are born. They come to introduce themselves (so it's less weird when they just show up for your first appt with your baby), see if you have any questions or concerns, if you do they'll connect you with any services, and they give you baby's red book which you'll need for the birth.

It is completely voluntary, but no reason not to get to know her in case you do need any support from her or a referral later on.

StealthPolarBear Fri 15-Dec-17 17:22:18

Yes please do seethe as well. Antenatal health visitor appointments are offered universally, or should be!

Toasttea Fri 15-Dec-17 17:43:12

It's fine. Mine came in sat down asked questions about me how I was keeping, asked if I knew what I was having, asked about my first child. It was just a getting to know you chat. She explained when she would see me next and things like that.

noodlesandtomatoes Fri 15-Dec-17 17:46:47

Yes, you do. They are nothing to do with your midwife. The midwife will sign you off and then the HV will support you.

PotteringAlong Fri 15-Dec-17 17:47:11

In my area they’ve changed it so they fill in all the babies medical records at this appointment then just bung the name, date of birth and weight on them afterwards. It’s much better than doing it with a newborn!

Mycarsmellsoflavender Fri 15-Dec-17 17:53:56

I don't remember ever getting a HV visit before they were born ( now aged 3 to 12). The first time I met them ( and it was a different one each time) was with a newborn when the midwife hands you over to the HV.

Mycarsmellsoflavender Fri 15-Dec-17 18:05:25

Actually, I've just remembered: I did have a visit from the HV before my last child (now 3) was born but it was tied in with a visit about DS who was being assessed for ASD and we didn't actually talk about the pregnancy or baby at all iirc. The only thing to do with the baby was that she gave me the red book to keep for when she was born. Felt a bit weird for me having the red book before the baby especially as she didn't have a name. Previously you were only given it once the baby was born.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: