Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Maternity clothes advice

(21 Posts)
lauracat90 Wed 13-Dec-17 12:56:46

Hello all!

I am currently 14 weeks pregnant with my first baby and needing a little bit of advice on buying maternity clothes now that bump is starting to show.

Do i need to keep buying clothes as i get bigger or can i just buy a few key pieces that will stretch and last?

When buying online where i can't try on do i just buy my usual UK dress size in the maternity section?

Some advice on key pieces would be wonderful so i'm not spending a fortune/re kitting out my entire wardrobe

x

LookingForwardToChristmas Wed 13-Dec-17 13:00:29

You should be able to buy your normal size and they will stretch with you as you get bigger. Is just buy a few key things that you will need, as you can always wear cardigans or get bump extenders to continue in your normal clothes for a while.

CL1982 Wed 13-Dec-17 13:06:32

I went for quite a few bits. I'd say get yourself some jeans for now and a few dresses and work tops and see how you grow. Also see what you have that will last in your wardrobe and clear out anything that isn't going to fit for the next 8 weeks or so in advance so you can assess what you need. I hit the sales and got a lot of things early via ASOS which was great. I had to grow into quite a few things though smile

ginandnappies Wed 13-Dec-17 13:11:35

I bought two pairs of maternity jeans. Although, I bought my usual size and they were massive until I hit week 36. So I bought the size down next time. I also bought maybe two maternity tops, the rest I just bought a size up. Mind you I was heavily pregnant over summer so I just lived in midi dresses. I'd definitely try stuff on aswell because every shop seems totally different re sizing x

Aspenn17 Wed 13-Dec-17 13:39:25

I'm now 22 weeks and I would say definitely get maternity leggings and maternity jeans. I got New Look leggings and Asos+Topshop jeans and very pleased with all 3, buy your normal size. Actual 'maternity' dresses and tops I've found to still be way too big!

ImDoingLaundry Wed 13-Dec-17 13:40:34

I bought 2 pairs of jeans, 2 pairs of leggings, 2 tops, and 2 nursing bras.
I didn't need much else because I had to wear a uniform for most of my pregnancy while I was on placement.

Then I just wore any of my usual clothes that still fit, like flowing maxi dresses, tshirts, cardi's etc.

I did spend the last 3 months in flip flops though, my feet were huge!

Buy your usual size smile congratulations!

Oysterbabe Wed 13-Dec-17 13:46:43

I've mostly worn leggings and stretchy dresses the whole time.

Bluerose27 Wed 13-Dec-17 13:51:45

I got 2 pairs of jeans - black and blue. Two long leggings. Two calf length leggings. Borrowed about 4 dresses from friends. Wore my usual clothes apart from that. Baby was born in Oct - just for seasonal context.

lauracat90 Wed 13-Dec-17 14:13:21

Thank you ladies you have all been so helpful grin

Unless bump suddenly sprouts overnight I'm going to wait until the sales start and pick up some bits xx

Bellamuerte Wed 13-Dec-17 22:59:45

I was so tempted by all of the lovely (expensive) maternity clothes available but I couldn't afford to splurge on them. I bought two pairs of maternity jeans plus several cheap leggings from Primark (just normal ones but three sizes bigger than normal). I also bought one nice top for going out and had to buy an occasion dress because I was invited to a couple of weddings. I already had some baggy jumpers, maxi dresses and stretchy t-shirts, and I wore some of DH's clothes around the house.

I'm almost at the end of my pregnancy and my biggest problem has been keeping warm in the winter weather - I'm past the point where I can fasten any of my normal coats and I begrudge buying a bigger coat for the sake of 6-8 weeks. So I'm wearing DH's hoody with my coat unfastened over the top!

I have felt frumpy and wished I could have a smart maternity wardrobe instead of living in t-shirts and leggings, but I couldn't justify spending on clothes that I'd only wear for a few months. I'm sure it's much easier to be pregnant in the summer when you don't need expensive items like coats!

Soon2bemum2017 Wed 13-Dec-17 23:07:49

I had maternity jeans until my thighs outgrew them (about 20 weeks) and then i just wore normal clothes in bigger sizes and didn't bother getting any maternity stuff until about 35 weeks when i bought 2 maternity vest tops from new look which fitted really nicely!

The advantage is that my bump went away from day 1pp but because of that its left me really saggy and the bigger normal clothes have really helped as i can wear them now to tuck my skin in 😂

PinkAvocado Wed 13-Dec-17 23:16:19

I’m 22 weeks and finding I’m not quite needing maternity stuff just yet, especially as skinny jeans have a fair bit of stretch in them and my thighs are larger in dress size than my waist and belly so room to grow! Last time I needed maternity stuff from about 32 weeks but just bought bump bands to go over the top of normal trousers and jeans (to hide the fact they were unzipped) and non maternity tops that had bands under the bust area with cardigans. I right towards the end bought maternity trousers and jeans but they always felt too big around the bump and as a result I felt frumpy in them. I didn’t get leggings but around the house wore bigger sized jogging bottoms which is a habit I’m not giving up any time soon. I do want to buy a maternity swimming costume this time but they’re expensive!

Loosemoose28 Wed 13-Dec-17 23:39:13

I sit between a 14-16. I have been super lucky that I have been given quite a bit in both sizes and have bought off eBay in both sizes. I have always struggled with jeans as I have a lot of thigh.

New Look jeans are generous the 16s are too big (I am a 14 normally in New Look) 14s much better.

Seraphine jeans are tight in thigh for me at a 14. 16 a bit big round waist but will do.

Tops- NewLook 14s are fine as are the 16s. Not bothered by either.

H@M need to be a 16.

And fine in an ASDA normal 16 legging. May not bother with maternity.

Loosemoose28 Wed 13-Dec-17 23:41:10

Sainsburies TU have a massive sale atm. Bought all my christmas clothes etc in a Size bigger. Im 22 weeks.

Lollipop30 Wed 13-Dec-17 23:50:57

What I definitely hadn’t anticipated was my feet swelling! I don’t fit in any of my shoes now and I’m wearing my nephews converse for everything as they’re the only things I can get on!
Tbh I look a mess most days now as I’ve actually outgrown anything maternity. I’ve gone from about an 8 to an 18ish and as I’m 38wks I can’t justify getting more. So just make sure you get things that will be forgiving even if you get much bigger than you thought.

Soon2bemum2017 Thu 14-Dec-17 04:34:20

I second that alot of Maternity jeans are not very forgiving in the thigh area!... and once you get some to fit the larger thighs they are very loose around the bump band bit

I just bought Jeggins from that Love U? Shop for larger ladies... they are full jersey ones so very stretchy and forgiving for only like £15 i think?

Things that will last a long time are stuff like floaty skater style dresses but maybe buy a few 2nd hand off ebay as eg i was a 10 but needed to get size 14 mat jeans which i grew out of by 20 weeks so bought dresses in a 16 and even when i was almost term they just looked like a tent as opposes to the nice shape they would have been if smaller x

ProseccoPoppy Thu 14-Dec-17 04:46:49

I’m 24 ish weeks with DC2. I was given the seraphine Bump kit as a present this time and it’s been awesome (LBD, nice leggings, skirt for work, vest top with bust support). I’ve been wearing that plus some extra seraphine dresses, maternity jeans (the mothercare ones work well for me) and some t shirts in different colours (new look are good but you may want to go down a size - I usually wear a size 14 but their size 12 maternity tops are pretty much perfect on me - and cheap). I had loads more stuff last time, mostly off eBay and mostly not that good. I feel like my “capsule wardrobe” (sorry, poncey way to put it) is working well this time.

TheMildManneredMilitant Thu 14-Dec-17 06:55:30

If you want trousers then I found that in mid pregnancy the under the bump style with adjustable wastes much better - the over the bump ones never really fitted until pretty late on even though I showed really early. Also yes to whoever said bump bands - you can put them under a normal t shirt and over unbuttoned trousers and they give a nice layered look as well as make everything feel nice and secure.

teabagfreak Thu 14-Dec-17 07:47:41

I thought this was a good buy from Next for work wear (Photo below)

I also got two pair of jeans from new look (over Bump for sure) and some maternity leggings from new look (seamless) got a few dresses for occasions but that's about it. Added photo of my newest dress below which I am wearing on Saturday and it was only 18quid from Next.

CremeDeSudo Thu 14-Dec-17 10:08:15

If you sign up for the newsletters on various sites, they'll sent you vouchers for money off. New Look are really good for this. I've just been sent a 20% off voucher!

I have lots of maternity clothes handed down from my cousin, and bought from my previous pregnancy, but the jeans are all bootleg! I can't bring myself to wear bootleg!! blush So I'm going to buy 2x over bump skinny jeans and some jeggings in NL I think.

I've got 2x underbump skinnies from last time, but I found that I couldn't wear them after about 14/15 weeks as it was too uncomfortable as DS decided to hang out low down! So I'd recommend overbumps, rather than underbumps if you're on a budget!

Also, people sell maternity bundles of clothes on ebay and selling sites, so perhaps that could be an option for you?

CremeDeSudo Thu 14-Dec-17 12:37:28

Further to this I've just come from New Look and they had lots of maternity stuff for up to 40% off and didn't see the same online. Got 2x over bump jeans for £37 grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: