Talk

Advanced search

Is this weight gain too much too quick? Worrying

(5 Posts)
Hollyxxxx Wed 13-Dec-17 12:45:01

I'm 26 weeks on Friday, im 5"4 and pre pregnancy my normal weight is 9 stone 4. I dropped a bit to 8 stone 12 by 15 weeks. by the end of October I was back to normal pre preg weight.

In two weeks I've gone from 9 stone 5 to 10 stone 1. I feel like it's too much too fast and I'm worrying. Don't feel like I've eaten enough to justify such a fast weight gain

Anyone had anything similar or should I ring my midwife?

mindutopia Wed 13-Dec-17 14:13:27

I don't think there's ever a reason to call your midwife just because you're putting on weight, as long as you are otherwise well. You're really small to begin with and you've only put on about 10lbs total in your pregnancy (never mind you lost some, but from your pre-pregnancy weight). That sounds perfectly fine at 26 weeks. Probably because you lost some, your body is trying to make up for that and baby is having a growth spurt. The average weight gain is about 20-26 lbs, so as you lost some, you're likely just putting that back on now.

I started at 15 stone and weigh just a bit over 16 stone at 31 weeks. So I've put on maybe about 16lbs so far. It's come on steadily and slowly, but I've not lost any and I'm much bigger than you anyway. That's considered a healthy weight gain for my weight. It sounds like you're doing fine.

Girlwiththearabstrap Wed 13-Dec-17 15:48:30

Rapid and sudden weight gain can be a pre eclampsia symptom, but could also just be weight gain/water retention. Mention at your next midwife appt as she'll be checking blood pressure and urine anyway. And keep an eye out for swelling/visual disturbances etc

BigBaboonBum Wed 13-Dec-17 16:17:18

I honestly wouldn’t worry but maybe book a midwife appointment or just ask her at the next one. I gained LOADS with my first pregnancy because I was small, it’s likely just your body trying to make a sturdier home for your little human flowers

KimmySchmidt1 Wed 13-Dec-17 16:25:42

You are monitoring your weight too closely. it is a bit weird that your weight dropped, so i would take it as a good sign that you are putting it on as you should be, and stop weighing yourself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now